Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Watch out for the manhole covers, and try not to get chicked. ///

(-; There are probably only 3 people here that will get this, you, me, and uhmmm?

Is this in reference to dan's crash at the LA TT? poor guy. I saw him walking away from it that day, I think he actually might have broken a bone.
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats - great experience!

I think one of the biggest factors that will make you faster, is the occasion itself. That's worth a few watts and I'm sure you'll be tasting blood towards the end! Looks like a great route too.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ride is posted on strava, Matt killed it! - I can't find any results online though.

21.44 miles
46:05
27.9 mph
334ap/342 strava weighted avg which is always way lower than NP

can't wait for the pro times to get posted
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Ride is posted on strava, Matt killed it! - I can't find any results online though.

21.44 miles
27.9 mph

Yes, he did! A few KOM's and quite a few top 10 OA's too.
Not too shabby for a triathlete.

Congrats Matt!
Dale
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
somebody just clocked a 40:41. (ATOC twitter) holy shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you finding those results? ... nevermind. I read "twitter" as "winner".

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 16, 18 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
41:33 current best time.

Edit: and 44:26 for Sagan, though he likely was not trying to lay down his best TT.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 16, 18 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ and Paddy Bevin rode some killer TTs today. It puts it in perspective what different planet these pros are on. All of their training volume and all of the racing and they still come out and drop 31.6 mph averages on this TT.

Also killer ride Matt!
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, TJ's 40:46 is just mind boggling when put in perspective by Matt's very impressive ride.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
somebody just clocked a 40:41. (ATOC twitter) holy shit.

Tejay was a rocket today!

Echoing earlier comments, simply incredible how fast the pro guys are compared to the fastest in the amateur ranks. The fact that a human can put out that much power, recover in such little time to wake up and do it day after day, completely mind boggling.

To the OP, awesome job earning this opportunity! So, the most important question remains....

DID you wiz in the borrowed suit? :D
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
So, the most important question remains....

DID you wiz in the borrowed suit? :D

"Borrowed" suit? Please tell us you got to keep it...

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you record it??? I need some trainer ride inspiration!

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:

The Contest: On April 11th, the Amgen Tour of California held two time trials on Zwift—a 10 mile course in which anyone who completed under 21 minutes would be entered into a random drawing. The course was set on Watopia Flat, and TT bikes (in-game, to eliminate drafting) were required to be used for the event.

The Prize: Airfare from winner’s home city to San Jose, CA, hotel cost for 3-day/2-night stay, VIP Ticket to Stage 4 of the Amgen Tour of California, and get set up on a Team Dimension Data team bike (Cervelo P5 w/ Enve disc/front), Team DiData skinsuit (BioRacer Speedwear Concept TT Suit), aero helmet (Oakley Aro7) to get to ride the course the morning of the Pro TT on May 16th.

The Result: I hit 10 miles at 20:59 – only 3 other individuals were able to do the same or better, resulting in a random drawing where one lucky person out of four got the experience of a lifetime. By some stroke of luck, I was selected for the event! Absolutely blown away by the opportunity and can’t wait to throw down on the TT course.

Just curious how a Strava TT, works? You put in your power, but how do they figure a Cda? Does everyone get the same value?
Congrats on a nice ride, but I am surprised only four people could make this mark? Big stage race in the PNW is Baker City, they have an 11 mile TT, totally flat, 3 turns, on a good day it is very fast (I am a very average Cat 3 and I was just a hair under 27 mph last year).

Results from last year (conditions were good):

http://obra.org/events/25711/results

Probably the top 40 guys road the equivalent of a 21 minute 10 miler and this is basically just guys from OR/WA/ID/UT and in a stage race (two stages the previous day). With the awesome trip you won on the line, I can't believe more people couldn't make the mark or were they bagging you with a real parachute of a Cda (in which case it is hard to judge the time).
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you pee'd in the suit - it will make my day. You will have won the day for us slow low watt peasants.
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The contest/TT was on Zwift not strava, so you did the TT in the app.
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes me happy to see someone do well! Hope you had a fun time and great experience. I'm sure it was a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

I'm nowhere near that strong, but I have picked up the TT bug a little bit recently.

Ignore the pro times/speeds. Combinations of it being a full time job and some of them winning the genetic lottery too. You still killed it.

For some more kudos for you: The last 10mi TT I did I think the middle of the "bell curve" of participants was probably in the 21 to 22mph range.

If you're a triathlete, you're likely one of the better TT riders in your area. TT isn't very popular in the United States among amateur roadies.

I'm starting a local monthly TT for fun, and I bet 75% of the people interested so far are triathletes. A few that will kick my ass too. Even in a shorter TT where I can crank up the wattage. You guys/gals are just beasts on the steady efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize TT wasn't very popular in the United States (I'm from Great Britain which I know is TT crazy). Why is that? I'm on holiday in murica right now at the Tour of California and it seems like there are a bunch of rabid cycling fans.
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I didn't realize TT wasn't very popular in the United States (I'm from Great Britain which I know is TT crazy). Why is that? I'm on holiday in murica right now at the Tour of California and it seems like there are a bunch of rabid cycling fans.

It's regional. Some areas, maybe more popular.

Local to me, triathlon is far more popular. We're growing, but it's still more popular to have a weekly group ride that ends at a pub or brewery than for time trial clubs.

Not sure I can answer the "why". Not many riders I ride with care for any kind of formal bike racing at all. Even a club TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

21.44 miles
27.9 mph

From the pictures, it looked like he used his Cannondale Slice. The P5 would have been good for at least another 1mph faster on the average.
Last edited by: Andres: May 17, 18 20:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I didn't realize TT wasn't very popular in the United States (I'm from Great Britain which I know is TT crazy). Why is that?
IME: people would rather race 4-corner crits, in 1mi loops, around/in corporate campus parking lots, than go up against the clock, in a solo effort...

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Dimension Data crawfished on letting him use a P5. Said they didn't have enough with TOC and Giro going on.
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
I didn't realize TT wasn't very popular in the United States (I'm from Great Britain which I know is TT crazy). Why is that?

IME: people would rather race 4-corner crits, in 1mi loops, around/in corporate campus parking lots, than go up against the clock, in a solo effort...

While I disagree with the characterization of TTs not being popular, I definitely take issue with the thought that people are chickening out by doing crits vs. TTs. In a TT (or triathlon, frankly) you can pretty well show up, look at the entrant list, and know where you'll finish. RRs and crits are so much more variable and dynamic, and generally way more fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Amgen Tour of California TT on Team Dimension Data Equipment - How much faster will I be? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Indeed. Actually racing other people is orders of magnitude more enjoyable.

Skill actually comes into play, instead of simply fitness and equipment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

I don't think it's just TTs, it's road racing in general vs years ago. There are a number of reasons for this, which I'm not going to get into. Personally, I'm more of a TT racer and find them more "enjoyable" than office park crits, but I understand the opposite perspective...;)

I live in SoCal, where you still see a huge number of cyclists riding outside. However, I know people who have moved to mainly riding indoors even with our great year round weather here. Not only is it safer and really convenient, but things like Zwift have made it more fun. Cycling classes and studios have also increased in popularity. It's also a lot easier to compete indoors vs outdoors.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next