Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
American Zofingen
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone heard anything about the race and if it's happening or not? https://www.americanzofingenduathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [CaliB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in this, too. Some time ago, the dates were normally the week after Mother's Day or the week before Memorial Day. These coincide this year, so maybe the weekend of 21 May? But more recently, the dates have been later in the year, I believe, but I don't know if that is some post-pandemic temporary thing, or something that is more 'permanent'. The website does say that the dates are 'coming soon'.
Last edited by: giorgitd: Jan 15, 23 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like a great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a few posters that have been doing it for many iterations (I believe one is Murphy's Law), by all accounts it's a great and hard local race. It was on my schedule for 2017 but they ended up having to cancel it due to road construction. The road work ended up being done by the race date so I went out and rode the course - super scenic with a good amount of climbing and descending. We moved out of the NYC area at the end of the year so I haven't been able to get back around when it's run, so can't comment on the running course but I've heard it can be a beast, especially if it has rained recently (and even if not, it's still mostly trail running). Would love to do it at some point as it sounds like it has an amazing community around it too.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the details. It does sound like a great race. I've been desperate to find challenging/competitive long course duathlons in the US but looks like you really have to go to Europe to find well attended duathlons. I used to live in NY and raced bikes/rode in that area a lot... I moved to California but nothing beat "the Gunks". This one has been on my bucket list for a while but I was hesitant flying all the way out to NY due to the very small women field but looks like the course is challenging enough in itself and I keep hearing so many great things about the course and the grassroots atmosphere that I'd love to do it IF I can figure out the logistics... which is why it would be great to know the date (even if tentative... I know that permits in the area is challenging)!!!
Last edited by: CaliB: Jan 15, 23 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this one up - any Intel on whether this race is happening in 2023? Website says stay tuned for 2023 date but little weird it's not there yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got to say that, with it being March already and the race being in May it's not looking good.

I'm a 3 time short course and 1 time mid distance finisher and AZ has been my favorite race for years. Here is the original drawing of the bike course that John sent me to post here when he dreamed up the race;

The first climb is murderous but once you get to the top, if you push it hard enough through the ''S'' curves at the top, you'll easily top 50 mph going down the other side if you can stay in your tuck. Don't get too comfortable because you'll be going into a hard 90* turn at speed. The second climb is not as tough but it's miles long. The worst one is a little bump a couple mile from transition when your legs are already trashed and then you have to climbs back to transition.

I'm pretty sure the run has 4 hard climbs. The uphills are on single track but the downs are on carriage roads so you don't have to worry. But they will pound you silly.

Here's a shot of me on the bike course on a beautiful day of AZ weather when it was 35* and raining;

Here I am finishing on a better day;

So, yes, I love AZ. I'm now almost 73 and my legs can't do it anymore. I was ready to be the first 70 year old to finish short course in 2020 but covid cancelled it. I was there last year as a volunteer and if it does come off, I'll be there again this year.

You could really just stay in California and beat your head against the wall and get the same AZ experience but if you do want to get to the place that AZ takes you, check out the Berkeley Trail Adventure in Berkeley. I did the 1/2 marathon once and it really did it to me. The 50k winner that year was an AZ winner from a previous year.

https://www.runguides.com/...eley-trail-adventure

I hope AZ does come off this year and I hope to see you there!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope it happens. Love this event and I need redemption after stupidly going the wrong way on first run last year adding a couple miles to a tough run course, even when you do it properly. Welcoming, low key, friendly, great post-race hangout, lumpy trail run, challenging scenic bike. Number of grey hairs it gives you depends on weather and your tolerance for submitting to gravity.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll definitely look up the AZ race too... we need more competitive and/or challenging duathlons in the US! I hate that all the (few) duathlons around me are "2nd thoughts" races organized alongside triathlons and targeting beginners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 time long course finisher. This is my absolute favorite race of all time. It is very hard which i think scares off a lot of people.

If you do a search, you will find many, many thread about this race. A lot of those threads are well known for the “smack talk”…all in good fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s planned for June 4th this year per the race director. I am deferred from the original Covid year and hoping for long course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
American Zofingen WILL BE HAPPENING for 2023!

I will be stepping in to assist Tom as RD so if you have any questions about the race please feel free to reach out. We will be updating our Facebook page and will soon have an Instagram account to please make sure you follow both for updates…

Colin.m.martin@gmail.com

Long course is calling your name!!!! Put in those hours now!

They cant stop me....Even if they stopped me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
idk, if Murphy's Law (practically the godtather or AZ) has responded to this thread, it may be dead. Or it just ain't what is used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhnOpsrpz_s

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [Colin.m.martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colin.m.martin wrote:
American Zofingen WILL BE HAPPENING for 2023!

I will be stepping in to assist Tom as RD so if you have any questions about the race please feel free to reach out. We will be updating our Facebook page and will soon have an Instagram account to please make sure you follow both for updates…

Colin.m.martin@gmail.com

Long course is calling your name!!!! Put in those hours now!

Thanks for stepping up, Colin!!

I've been in hiatus up until now, but yes - THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!!!!

Part of me wants to give the GCG F1 Middle Distance another go again, but then I look at the...
/checks notes
// 48 total miles of running that I've done YTD in 2023 (9 of which was just this past week), and maybe I'll just go with Canadian Womens Division once again.

Hope to see some of the ST crew out there!
It's still one of the most beautiful, hardest, best-supported races in the country, and is THE BEST VALUE in the entire world of multisport!!!

Ride on!
ML

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump.

Just rode & ran the course this am w my neighbor
(Who is a noobie multisport guy, but from a very strong cycling background)
and both courses are in EXCELLENT shape!!

The minefield section over in the ‘Honk has been (mostly) patched, so it’s pretty decent, except a little towards the end, not far before the hairpin turn onto Upper Granite.

Run course overall is very good - still a bit muddy/wet in the usual spots during the first mile, but otherwise looking really good.

It just seems like every year I get older, “they” keep turning up the gravity on all the hills.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

For some inexplicable reason, Towpath Road (on the far side of the course, near-ish the end of the bike loop) was freshly CHIP-SEALED this week!!!

I rode it on Sat (prior to this abomination), and it was in perfectly cromulent condition.

I will be out over there tomorrow, and advise as to how nasty it is, and if a possible course modification may be needed.
Stay tuned.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

For some inexplicable reason, Towpath Road (on the far side of the course, near-ish the end of the bike loop) was freshly CHIP-SEALED this week!!!

I rode it on Sat (prior to this abomination), and it was in perfectly cromulent condition.

I will be out over there tomorrow, and advise as to how nasty it is, and if a possible course modification may be needed.
Stay tuned.

Following up!

OK, the chipseal section kinda blows, but it's totally rideable.
3 of us on road bikes rode it yesterday, and the worst part was all the dust from passing cars.

There's been enough car traffic such that there are "wagon wheel tracks" that's pretty well packed down.
However, if you stray to the sides of that, it's corrugated like a cheese grater = not pleasant.

At the far end of Towpath, there's a section that makes a sharp R turn, then goes over a small bridge.
You will have to SLOW DOWN for this turn a LOT more now than prior - it's more than a little sketchy on skinny road tires, so take it ez there.

Figure it'll be like 1-3 mins slower thru that ~3m section than it used to be.
So, not ideal, but not a dealbreaker either.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I could participate this year, but I already signed up for a tri on the same date.

But, I was chatting after a running even last weekend, and I may have convinced one of the local trail runners to give AmZof (CWD) a shot. I hope he does it so that I can hear the stories of the adventure.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [ABDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did LC in 08 and SC in 09. awesome race! grass roots feel with a challenging (but totally doable) course. Its a real shame that races like this and savageman fall by the wayside. i hope it comes back to life, but not many registered last time i looked. 3 distances is fine when you've got a bunch registered, maybe they should consider consolidating to just short course (which is still a challenge!)
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
I did LC in 08 and SC in 09. awesome race! grass roots feel with a challenging (but totally doable) course. Its a real shame that races like this and savageman fall by the wayside. i hope it comes back to life, but not many registered last time i looked. 3 distances is fine when you've got a bunch registered, maybe they should consider consolidating to just short course (which is still a challenge!)

And perhaps rebrand it. Calling a 3 hour race (for most) "short" doesn't seem right.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, if you're not doing a full or half this season, the short course could easily be the longest race of your year. i also think this would be a real cool draft legal race, but not sure that would be feasible. but then you could trash talk some roadies and trail runners and get a rivalry going, kinda like the early days.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
yeah, if you're not doing a full or half this season, the short course could easily be the longest race of your year. i also think this would be a real cool draft legal race, but not sure that would be feasible. but then you could trash talk some roadies and trail runners and get a rivalry going, kinda like the early days.

You’re climbing or decending. It’s not a “draft useful” course.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello ST & fellow AmZof minions.

I just heard yesterday that American Zofingen has been cancelled for this year.

Sadly - I didn’t get this info from RD Tom Ganz, who seems to have gone radio silent of late.

My wife works part-time at the Mohonk Preserve.
Her boss is the guy who coordinates all non-Preserve events (like AmZof), and he told her that the race had been cancelled.

I’m sorry to be the bearer of this bad news.

Here’s hoping Tom & crew can regroup and come back next year with a bigger and better iteration of this event.
It really is a hidden gem, and a no-brainer for anyone within driving distance to do.

Will advise if/when I hear anything more.
-M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the info. That’s to bad, I was really looking forward to tackling the course. But with the lack of information coming out I was nervous something was up…hopefully something official comes out
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [sunray1985] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad to hear this race has been potentially cancelled for this year. I gave it a shoutout in my most recent episode. Definitely an event I'd love to do one year. Not sure if registration numbers were ever a problem (perhaps not if the field was limited to 200 duathlon athletes and 100 trail run athletes) but if they were, I could imagine a few small promotional tweaks the race could make to stand out more.

- Tweak the name of the race while keeping the format. Perhaps "AMERICANMan Zofingen Duathlon and Trail Run" or if you are allowed to use the name, "Powerman American Zofingen". It's a small thing but people who don't otherwise race love to sign up for Ironmans. I'm convinced part of that is the Ironman name. It sounds cool, it’s recognizable to laypeople on an Instagram post, people often tattoo the logo on themselves after finishing one, etc. Doing one Ironman is a gigantic and impressive accomplishment for someone in the way that climbing Mt. Everest would be. You do it once and brag about it forever. Having Powerman or AMERICANMan in the name would allow the race to bask in the afterglow of that -Man vibe. AMERICANMan as a name would also allow the race to lean in even further to the ‘veterans can race free’ element which is a great part of the event.
- Change the name of the Short Course to Regular Distance or Olympic Distance or something like that. A race where the course records are 2:49:58 and 3:29:01 ain't short! It looks cooler on the medal and on the instagram post if you were a Regular Distance Finisher as opposed to Short Course Finisher.
- Along the same lines, Chris Gleason Memorial - Middle Distance F1 style should be renamed to “Chris Gleason Memorial - XL Distance F1 style” or something like that.
- Long Course should be “Epic Distance” or “XXL Course” or something like that. Recognize how huge the accomplishment is.

The world's only show focused on duathlon 🏃‍♂️🚲🏃‍♂️
NEW EP: How to Win a 5k
https://podcasts.apple.com/...0739?i=1000641392144
https://open.spotify.com/...1ClQ5bg4dTYQjPdCR7x0
https://sites.google.com/view/andrewdbrown
Last edited by: TheDuathlonShow: May 31, 23 9:42
Quote Reply

Prev Next