Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
American Airlines and Bike Fees
Quote | Reply
Just read on line that American Airlines is (for the Summer) not going to charge for excess bike fees - just the normal checked bag fee of $25 for the first bag. Sweet deal.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: American Airlines and Bike Fees [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...music_gear_P6938011/

Saw that earlier here. Now to go order a bike box....
Quote Reply
Re: American Airlines and Bike Fees [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops tks -- I sold my bike box years ago - and every time I fly I go to my LBS and they give me a cardboard bike box... and my rationale is that if 99% of bikes come from China in a cardboard box undamaged - I should be pretty safe... :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sheez. I wonder if I can get my $650 back from Tribike. Ha! Already paid for transport to Nice...and flying American. Would hassle with the bike for that amount of savings. And I have a bike case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F American Airlines. I just came back from a bike trip at Salt Lake City and flew American Airlines. The end result is a broken 2019 Trek Madone SLR7 Disc frame that American Airlines refuses to take responsibility for. Why? Because I didn't file a claim within 24 hours of my flight. The bike was in an Evoc Travel Bag Pro and packed per Evoc's, and for that matter, American Airlines instructions. I didn't see the damage, which was a crushed seatstay, until it was too late. Now I'm out around $4000. The only upside is that they broke it on the way back from SLC so I at least got to ride there.

AA gives themselves another out if your bike isn't in a hard case too. Here's their policy for bike transport:

Allowance and requirements
You can travel with 1 non-motorized touring, mountain, tandem, or racing bicycle if the:
  • Bicycle is in a hard-sided case, bicycle bag or box built for bicycle transport
  • Handlebars are fixed sideways
  • Pedals are removed; or
  • Pedals and handlebars are wrapped in plastic foam or a similar material

Please note that if your bicycle is not in a hard-sided case, it will be treated as a fragile item.

Here is the response from AA:

Thanks for contacting our Central Baggage Resolution Office. I am sorry your bicycle was damaged in Rochester.

I reviewed our records and found that you traveled from Salt Lake City to Rochester on *August 24, 2020. You notified us of your damage bicycle on August 27, 2020.

While I am sorry for any inconvenience, because we didn't receive notification within the required timeframe of 24 hours, I'm unable to honor your claim.

You may visit https://www.aa.com/...jsp#baggageliability to learn more about our Conditions of Carriage. The information for report time is under time limit liability.

Despite what happened, we hope to see you on another American Airlines flight soon. We’ll do our best to provide the experience you expect.

If anyone has any tips or advice for fighting this I'd love to hear them.
Quote Reply
Re: American Airlines and Bike Fees [Irishguy68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irishguy68 wrote:
[
If anyone has any tips or advice for fighting this I'd love to hear them.

Its been a long time since all the airlines only cover hard case packed bikes. Same for the 24 hour rule. As soon as these rules were implemented I switched from Pika Packworks to a hard case and started checking my bike at the baggage claim before leaving the airport.

It's a shame your bike is damage and it's understandable that youre upset, but theyre following the policy that most (all?) US airlines have in place and outline clearly on their bike policy page. Unfortunately you're SOL, but this should be a good reminder to others on ST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The website might say that but American Airline agents can pull a number out of a hat and charge you whatever they want and the company backs them up. I travelled with a Scicon hard case yesterday. 46 lbs. Well under the linear dimensions. Should have been charged a second bag fee according to their website. Agent charged me $80 and said all bikes got charged double and threatened to throw me off the flight unless I paid. This is what AA said.

Because our agent determined that the total amount, size or weight of your baggage exceeded the free allowance, the excess baggage charge was collected. It would not be appropriate for us to overturn that judgment since we don't have the benefit of actually seeing your items as our airport agent did.
While we try to be as consistent as possible in collecting excess charges, we do not make adjustments after the fact. Based on your description, we would guess that our other agents overlooked collecting correct excess baggage charges at other points on your itinerary.
Any ideas on how to appeal? It isn't that much money but just the idea that they tell you one thing and then you can't do anything about being overcharged by a hateful employee when you get there.
Quote Reply
Re: American Airlines and Bike Fees [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NMGal wrote:
The website might say that but American Airline agents can pull a number out of a hat and charge you whatever they want and the company backs them up. I travelled with a Scicon hard case yesterday. 46 lbs. Well under the linear dimensions. Should have been charged a second bag fee according to their website. Agent charged me $80 and said all bikes got charged double and threatened to throw me off the flight unless I paid. This is what AA said.

Because our agent determined that the total amount, size or weight of your baggage exceeded the free allowance, the excess baggage charge was collected. It would not be appropriate for us to overturn that judgment since we don't have the benefit of actually seeing your items as our airport agent did.
While we try to be as consistent as possible in collecting excess charges, we do not make adjustments after the fact. Based on your description, we would guess that our other agents overlooked collecting correct excess baggage charges at other points on your itinerary.
Any ideas on how to appeal? It isn't that much money but just the idea that they tell you one thing and then you can't do anything about being overcharged by a hateful employee when you get there.

You could try and do a charge back on your credit card. They shouldn't be making up random charges, even if it's not a massive amount. One thing I've learnt is no matter how skilled or unskilled a job is, there are plenty of people who suck at their job.
Quote Reply
Re: American Airlines and Bike Fees [Irishguy68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think someone posted another alternative to filing a claim when the airlines refused to acknowledge or pay for damage.

It involved filing a complaint with a different agency not the airline. I will search around a little and see if I can find it. Maybe federal transportation?

We have flown overseas with our Tandem in a giant bike pro padded case successfully 3 times but get charged for over sized extra bag under 70 pounds.
The case weighs more than the bike I think as we usually put a few things in our suitcase (pedals and stoker seat post and saddle) to make weight.

We usually try to arrive a few days early for our cycling trip just in case the case is lost or delayed. I suspect our luck with no damage will not last forever and we will be all dressed up with no bike to ride unless we can find rentals. Glad the bike got damaged on your trip home. I wonder if you can get extra insurance for bike travel or if damage can be included on trip insurance as we usually buy it for expensive trips overseas.

Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i will intercede on this, but i need to know exactly what bike case you used. pics. dimensions.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: American Airlines and Bike Fees [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the Scicon Aerotech Evolution X hard case.
Linear dimensions 114cm (l) x 36cm (w) x 94cm (h)
Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: American Airlines and Bike Fees [robmitchell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The gate agent was just on some weird power trip. Didn't care what the web site said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious, do you have FF status with American?
Quote Reply
Re: American Airlines and Bike Fees [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No status as a frequent flier, but belong their AAdvantage program to get the miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 3 friends that flew last week with American Airlines and they were all charged a standard bag fee both ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NMGal wrote:
Thanks for your help.

I always have a print-out of the airline bike policy and case dimensions from the manufacturer’s website.

Weight is tricky.
If it’s slightly over (1-5lbs), I ask the agent to weight it at a different check-in station.
If still over, I take pics of it on/with the scale and later ask for calibration records (only half kidding).
The better the documentation, the better your chances of fighting the unjust charges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NMGal wrote:
Thanks for your help.

did the gate agent give you a specific reason? because, that scicon case is a little tricky on dimensions. are these the max dimensions or average dimensions? i know what you're writing here is what is quoted, but i wonder how those are arrived at. it's a great case. a premium case. i just wonder, before i make an arse out of myself with the airline, what the gate agent said to you, because the rules are pretty specific, and if it's under 126" and 50lb it should have gone a regular luggage.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I flew American around Christmas, all they did was check weight. They asked if it was a bike and I said yep. Then we started laughing about me flying to/from WI in December with a bike. My bike case is the Biknd Jetpack. I just had to pay the standard baggage fee. It seems like they care more about weight than anything. If you're <50 lbs, you're probably OK.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Her exact words were ‘It is obviously a bike and we charge bikes as two bags.’ And she charged me double, not the $100 oversize or overweight fee which I would have gone along with if I were guilty of that. She charged me an extra $40 (originally she said $100) . This is nowhere in their policy. However after several phone calls and emails AA said while they would not reverse their ruling on this, as a ‘goodwill’ gesture’ they would send me a $40 voucher. A lot of aggravation for $40 but nobody should have to put up with employees charging fees other than what is published just because they can.
Thanks for stepping in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have inquired of AA. i'll report back what they say, and if they don't reply i'll report that back as well.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gate agent was just on some weird power trip. Didn't care what the web site said.

I find this is getting better (if that's what you can call it) but airlines have been all over the map with this - ON THIER OWN POLICIES! And this is left up to the mood/interpretation of the Agent at the Check-In Counter.

I gave up getting all worked up about it years ago, as I figured it all balanced out in the end - sometimes we pay next to nothing and other times it's the full rate. If they have gone truly over their stated policy I would still push back.

For probably the last 10 years, I have flown almost exclusively Air Canada. They have had for a number of years now a $50 fee for bikes - which is reasonable. What becomes an issue, is weight (need to keep it under 50 lbs - or a whole other level of fees kick in), and then some agents also tack on the $25 "Checked Bag Fee" - so a total of $75 - still not bad, but the application of that fee is highly variable. # years ago I finally achieved Elite Status for Aeroplan and at the tier I was at "I get one checked bag at no cost and no charge for bikes", so in the two years prior to the Pandemic - we paid no extra bike fees at all!

With the complete shut-down of the Race/Event Business, and a suspension of all other kinds of travel - I've not been on a plane now for 13 months, and not sure I will be on one anytime soon. the Aeroplan, point Status historically was only good for a Calendar year, after you acquire the points - but this has been indefinitely extended. In fact, I just received my notification, passes and bag-tags in the mail for 2021 - 2022 from Aeroplan this past week! Thank you Air Canada!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still trying to figure out if I can not pay the oversized fee for the Bike Box Alan tri case on American. The specs look like they slightly exceed the size for checked baggage, but it's hard to tell.
Quote Reply
Re: American Airlines and Bike Fees [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still trying to figure out if I can not pay the oversized fee for the Bike Box Alan tri case on American. The specs look like they slightly exceed the size for checked baggage, but it's hard to tell.

Bike cases/boxes/bags generally fall into two categories:

1) What I would call "Normal" where the dismantling is pretty straight forward and consistent - wheels off, pedals off, handlebars off or sideways. The frame is otherwise left intact. To the best of my knowledge almost all bikes dismantled like this and packed in most normal bike cases/boxes/bags WILL exceed that total linear measurement that many of the airlines use to come up with what is, "oversized".

2) The "Not Normal" for lack of a better description. These require all the dismantling in #1, plus typically the complete removal of the fork*. The cases/boxes/bags for bikes in this state with everything packed in them may be less than that critical total linear measurement that the airlines have, and may NOT be subject to any "Bike Fees", or "oversize" fees - possibly just the simple checked bag fee which for many airlines seems to be in the $25 range. These cases/boxes/bags are of a size shape and heft that you will not get the question "Is that a bike?" as they look like a slightly bigger than average suitcase *Now - the mechanical dismantling and assembly just became hugely more complicated if you have to do that. Even more so these days with some of these fully integrated and proprietary handlebar and front end set-ups on road and tri bikes and now hydraulic brake cables to deal with as well. If you know what you are doing, you have the right tools, and you have a bit of time - then this could be your approach.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for those who've been following this on the thread here, the denouement is in an article on the front page.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your description, we would guess that our other agents overlooked collecting correct excess baggage charges at other points on your itinerary.

So they are saying she's lucky not have been charged at other points?

NMGal stated in a further post that the gate agent lowered the fee to $40, and that American Airlines subsequently granted her a $40 travel voucher as a “goodwill gesture.â€

So they kept her money anyway?

While American Airlines tried to do the right thing for its customer I had procedural questions about this

The right thing is to give her $40 back
Quote Reply

Prev Next