Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I the only person in the world who cannot spin indoors?
Quote | Reply
Jeepers, I would love to spin indoors when it's hot enough in south texas to catch my head on fire. But I can't. tried high-quality spin bikes at the gym, followed by a visit to urology for acute prostatitis. this followed trying a stationary spin at home on a borrowed trainer, and that ALSO led to prostatitis and months of pelvic pain. Heck, even an outdoor high-cadence session, with more weight on my saddle, and less on the peddles, caused trouble. I am thinking about a Kinetic rock and roll, to ease pressure by allowing side to side motion. I can ride outdoors all danged day on my cobb Randee saddle. I'm only 58, so I'm not dead yet by a long shot, and am trying to solve this. shorter sessions until I am used to it? Less time in aero position on spin bike? put by randee saddle on a home spin bike? Appreciate your ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only person in the world who cannot spin indoors? [docdave1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, that stinks. Any interest in recumbent cycling? Otherwise throwing a saddle that works on an indoor bike seems the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only person in the world who cannot spin indoors? [docdave1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must be something in the water. I am from South Texas too (not living there now but do go back from time to time) and have never spun indoors. I am sure we are missing out on great training, but screw that.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're getting the same problem outdoors as you are indoors, it's not the trainer (though the lack of movement may just make the problem flair up quicker).

Sounds like you need to go to an EXCELLENT bike fitter and have them help. It could be your saddle, it could be you position, or it could be something is up with your body (a fitter can't really help you there).

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider the Feedback Trainer where the rear wheel is free, see a good fitter, or just buy some rollers and have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only person in the world who cannot spin indoors? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
If you're getting the same problem outdoors as you are indoors, it's not the trainer (though the lack of movement may just make the problem flair up quicker).

Sounds like you need to go to an EXCELLENT bike fitter and have them help. It could be your saddle, it could be you position, or it could be something is up with your body (a fitter can't really help you there).

Agreed

To the OP what do you do in long course races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainers are notoriously unforgiving. Even the high quality spin bikes usually have mediocre saddles; at our gym they are either wide enough for 2 riders or very narrow . They are adjustable enough so that with padded bike shorts I can ride without issue. In the gym, make sure your sit bones are supported and don’t sit on the tip. Add a little resistance and stand more often. If you are getting numb, readjust the saddle or your position. It will be harder to get a comfortable time trial position on the spin bike so work on the road bike position first.

On a home trainer, the world is your oyster. Get a fitter to check your position though if you can ride all day on the Cobb saddle, your position is probably okay, just mount that bike and go.

Having had traumatic prostatitis once from a bike saddle, I have felt your pain and can tell you that the etiology is pressure on your taint. Any numbness or pain means stop and reposition or stand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You answered it in your original post. Put the saddle that works, on the spin bike. That's what I did. I've gone as long as 6 hours, no problems.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only person in the world who cannot spin indoors? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for input to all. will put the magic randee on the indoor bike, and give it a try. AFTER Waco 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the indoor ride using the borrowed trainer done using the same bike and position you ride outside?
Quote Reply
Re: Am I the only person in the world who cannot spin indoors? [Chris B.O.B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, it was. I have found that the lack of side to side motion, on a trainer, triggers my issues. my fitting was professionally done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote docdave1]...more weight on my saddle, and less on the peddles, caused trouble. I am thinking about a Kinetic rock and roll, to ease pressure by allowing side to side motion.[/quote]

Try less weight on the saddle

You could try a rocker plate instead of getting the Kinetic rock and roll

Also, try experimenting with different saddles
Quote Reply