Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man?
Quote | Reply
I've been doing triathlons for about a year now and I have multiple Sprints and one Olympic already done. I decided to train and sign up for my first Half Iron Man and gave myself 9 months to train, I have been doing all my training and now run or bike to and from work every day. My runs usually consist of a 5-10 mile route to work and a 4 mile route home, my biking consists of 18 - 30 mile routes to work and 4 miles home. I do either a long ride or long run every Saturday (12+ run or 50+ ride) I live in a hilly area so I get a lot of hill climbing in with all my runs and bikes. My long bikes usually have a 1000+ foot elevation climb (not all at once but a steady almost constant climb with a few steep downhill areas) and my runs are usually a steady 300 - 600 foot elevation climb (steady climb and then a steady descend as I back track back home). I also swim two - three times a week depending on if I can get to the pool on Saturdays, I have a family and my time with them is the most important so i usually only get to the pool one Saturday a month. I swim a quick 800 yards on Tuesdays and 1500 yards on Thursdays.

Ok that's what I'm doing now and I add 1 mile to my run every long run and 5 miles to my ride when I do my long ride. I got an email about the Half Iron Man I signed up for (in September) and they are doing a challenge metal for those who complete both the September race and one in April. I think it would be really cool to do both races and get the challenge metal, but I don't know if I’m ready for the race. My training schedule has me swimming 2000 yards, running 14 miles and biking 60 miles is this enough? Should I go for the April half or should I continue my training and focus on the September race?

Sorry for the long post, just looking for any advice I can get.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [Dragon4th] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be fine. Go in April and treat it like a hard training day. Use it to learn how the half distance works, and make the Sep race your A race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're looking good on the bike/run. The swim is going to take something out of you given your low volume. You won't race your best until the swim endurance picks up but you won't have any problem finishing. It will help if it's wetsuit legal...probably will be given the early season date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your goal is to finish, then you should be fine. Typical training volume for race distance (to finish):
-Swim 2-3x race distance/week
-Bike 2-3x race distance/week
-Run 1-2x race distance/week
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
If your goal is to finish, then you should be fine. Typical training volume for race distance (to finish):
-Swim 2-3x race distance/week
-Bike 2-3x race distance/week
-Run 1-2x race distance/week

That's classic ST inflation. Those numbers are silly IMO. You can easily aim to finish confidently on hel of a lot less than that.

You do need to be confident you can safely swim the distance. But you don't have to be doing any major volume to do that. If you can I went from zero swimming to a longest swim of 1500m in just a few weeks before my first Oly and never went over about 2300m in a week. I did my first half 2 months later without doing much more. That approach won't make you fast and it will take a bit out of your bike performance but it's sufficient for a finish. You can race respectably (perhaps not competitively) on less than what you're suggesting.

Bike 2-3x race distance/week? Again, that's crazy if you're talking about finishing rather than being at the front of pack. 1-1.5xrace distance should leave you well capable of completing the bike without destroying yourself. I've been in the front 10% on about 1.5-2x race distance on the bike. You're WAY off.

When it comes to running, there's a big difference between 1x and 2x race distance per week. 1x race distance will probably ensure you can get there at an easy pace but you may suffer and may risk injury. 2x race distance and you can hope to be respectably fast. Depending on how long you've been doing it. If the goal is just to finish, then walking is always an option too.

Taking the median of your suggested volume for a mid pack or slower athlete (you're saying finish only) we're talking maybe 12hrs training a week. That's enough to race fast. Hell it's enough to comfortably do an IM! That is NOT a prescription for just finishing a half distance event.

Just finishing is less than half that.
I believe you need re-calibration.

Based on their training volume the OP is easily ready for a HIM. If he feels up to it he can race. If not he can use it as a long training session.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Feb 27, 18 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Again, this is ST inflation

Tend to agree.

Of course, it always comes back to what 'ready' means, and that's a target none of us will ever agree on. I'll put it this way: There are definitely people who complete halfs with 1000yds/week, 20-40 slow bike miles, and 2-3x 3-5 milers and one maybe 8-10 long run. There's better and worse, but I see lots of the 7-7:30 crew doing something broadly in that range. OP won't be on the pointy end, but I'd feel fine about getting through it.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Feb 27, 18 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Tend to agree.

Of course, it always comes back to what 'ready' means, and that's a target none of us will ever agree on. I'll put it this way: There are definitely people who complete halfs with 1000yds/week, 20-40 slow bike miles, and 2-3x 3-5 milers and one maybe 8-10 long run. There's better and worse, but I see lots of the 7-7:30 crew doing something broadly in that range. OP won't be on the pointy end, but I'd feel fine about getting through it.
I did my first in well under 6hrs with just a few weeks of low volume swimming, less running than you mention, but maybe 150km cycling a week. Guys at the high end, or who think they are, often seem to lose touch with the fact that you CAN do a triathlon on relatively very modest training and there's nothing wrong with doing so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
justinhorne wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Tend to agree.

I did my first in well under 6hrs with just a few weeks of low volume swimming, less running than you mention, but maybe 150km cycling a week. Guys at the high end, or who think they are, often seem to lose touch with the fact that you CAN do a triathlon on relatively very modest training and there's nothing wrong with doing so.

Definitely. And there's a big difference between 'ready' and 'READY' too. Like sure, 10-15 hours/week might be good if you want to really go hard through the distance, but being okay with walking a few minutes every 10-15 min can drastically cut training needs down. So sure, no one will agree on what 'ready' means, but if the goal is to complete and not feel hilariously undertrained, it can definitely be done.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a large load to carry for a September race and not burn out before you get to the start line.
From the quick read of your mileage, without getting your speed, pace, etc to determine if you would make the cutoffs, the volume seems sufficient to make the April race and use it as a learning experience.

It's a more complicated answer than a one line "yes" or "no".

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree.

As long as you can get your confidence up with the swim so that you are not phased at all by the thought of a 35 minute swim then it's only a fairly long bike ride followed by a half marathon.You've got a lot of time to do the race. It depends how fast you want to do it and what your natural endurance speed turns out to be.

Make no mistake - it's still a very long way and you've got to respect the distance. But if you do some consitent steady training and learn to get your nutrition right (This is important. A Sprint or an Olympic is not really long enough for what you eat/drink or not to have any adverse impacts, but a 70.3 certainly is) then you'll be fine. Just take it steady.

Enjoy it - it's an awesome experience. You'll feel justifiably stoked at the end of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why I said "Typical training volume", not for everyone. Some are more blessed genetically than others. It all depends on how you want to get to the finish line. Bad swim can lead to a bad bike. Bad bike can lead to walking on the run. To the OP, prepare and respect the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I think you'd be fine for the April race and as stated before, use it as experience for your "A" race in September. However, I wouldn't listen to the super low volume approach. I, to this day, do not understand why people do these longer races (70.3/140.6) on minimal training and slog through the race. Looks miserable and not sure how walking most of the run is fun. If you want to have fun at the race and enjoy it, I would aim for at least 2x's the distance in each discipline. Other than the swim, it looks like you're hitting those numbers so I think you'll be fine for April. Try to get that third swim in a week and you'll do great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As most have said you'll be fine. Make sure you're confident on the swim and the rest is easy with the mileage you're doing now.

N=1 I debuted at the 70.3 distance last August with a grand total of 20k yards swimming for the YEAR. AOS too and was fine with my 45min swim (2-3 was just trying to pee at the end). Those commuting miles add up on the run and bike too which will be helpful.

Like others said though treat April as a learning/training day. You'll probably find 5-10 minutes to shave off for September just on pacing, nutrition and logistics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
That's why I said "Typical training volume", not for everyone. Some are more blessed genetically than others. It all depends on how you want to get to the finish line. Bad swim can lead to a bad bike. Bad bike can lead to walking on the run. To the OP, prepare and respect the distance.

Typical training volume??? so for a full, Typical is 224/336 miles per week and run is 52/74 miles per week?.....and not even peek weeks? Really??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with much of the above. Investing too much time in the swim is wasted as long as you believe you are comfortable in finishing within a reasonable time. More time spent on bike and run training will easily offset any marginal gains on equivalent time spent swim training.

Race strategy needs to consider the course topography AND the environmental factors - you can train for hills but completely get off course by not factoring significant physiological impacts of heat and wind.

My guess is your physically on track for both events, work on your race day hydration/nutrition planning and psychology.

God luck on the day
Last edited by: djenks16: Feb 27, 18 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think my math is that far off. The Bike may be high, but I wouldn't go into these distance with a lower volume swim or run.

Half
-Swim 2-3x race distance/week = 4-6 K/wk
-Bike 2-3x race distance/week = 112-168 mi/wk
-Run 1-2x race distance/week = 13-26 mi/wk

Full
-Swim 2-3x race distance/week = 8-12 K/wk
-Bike 2-3x race distance/week = 224-336 mi/wk
-Run 1-2x race distance/week = 26-52 mi/wk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the current 70.3 courses, wetsuit legal/downstream swims, generous time cutoffs, rolling starts and swim safety initiatives you are more than ready.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
I don't think my math is that far off. The Bike may be high, but I wouldn't go into these distance with a lower volume swim or run.

Half

Full

Really does not matter what you would do or what you think. Your statement is that its "Typical" ..........no, avg weeks of 15hrs per just bike is not typical
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP laid out a schedule with about ~7 hours a week of training. I doubt this volume would burn him out. It seems like a good baseline coming into the season that he can slowly build on over time if he gets the bug/ has the time.

2000 yds swimming (1 hour)
14 miles running (2.5 hours)
60 miles biking (3.5 hours)

He will definitely finish. Run and bike mileage probably too low to run anywhere near his open 1/2 marathon time, but he can definitely enjoy the day and probably run most (if not all) of the run if he drops it into a low gear and stays on top of nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^thats about what I did before my first 70.3

went in around 4k-5k yards/week, 50-55 miles biked, and 15-ish mpw run

ended up just sneaking under 6H in wildflower with some generous transitions (20 minutes lol)

at my level ,20 minute 5K, swim a 500 free just under 6:00, usually around 22:nn oly swim split, and usually average about 20 flat mph on the bike legs of oly tris [eg slow], with an open half marathon at about 1:42 I was only barely able to sneak under 2H in the wildflower trail run in the heat.

So if theres any takeaways if you have some base swimming endurance/good form even if low volume, take it easy in the 70.3 [eg I just went 32 and relaxed], the day was pretty easy. I totally had a disaster of a bike leg [headwinds, nasty f*ck grade, etc] , but oh well.

I did walk mile 3-5 on the run in the steepest section of the trail as I blew up. I needed a hike strategy going into this in hindsight. Whoops. But I got it back together, was cramping a bit tho, needed to learn a bit about salt intake for a hot day where I'm sweating actual gallons.

So sure you'll finish easy, but you might get annoyed with your performance on that volume/prep. I know I was. But I didnt really change anything. Just got incrementally slightly faster since then although I think I've slacked a bit in the pool. Not a big deal.

How fast do you want to be? if you're a little afraid of the race rather than worrying about these short runs all the time [3 milers? unless its a speed workout eg 400/800/1200 repeats at/below 5k RP], maybe bike less but bike longer more often. You've got to have the long rides in, imho. The 50+ milers

Maybe this is just me oversharing my weakness. So correction: you have some time to focus on your weakness. Unlike others in this thread, I'm not going to assume it's the swim. I kinda think it might be the run. Put 40% of your time there if thats true.

//Noob triathlete//bike commuter//ex-swimmer//slower than you

Last edited by: Freddo: Feb 27, 18 18:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:

Half

Full

your math may be right, but your ranges are so big they are meaningless.

running 13-26 mi/wk. That's like you will get a 20k or 40k raise, 1 foot of snow or 2, your new house will be 500k or 1 million, your new car is 40k or 80k.

Sorry - but those are very different amounts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure you can do both races! Your current long run and ride history is enough to do the April race. The swim is also where you need to be to complete the event. It will also give you a lot of experience that will help you out in the second race. I'd go for it!
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
You said "typical training volume (to finish)"
That is collosal overkill (to finish) and would be considered high by many who are planning to do more than just finish. Myself included.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:

Half

Full

The Half bike distances are absurdly high for just aiming to finish and pretty high for anyone short of serious competitors who are racing.
The Half run and swim distances are probably reasonable for MOP or better racers

The Full bike distance is absolutely crazy to propose for a full distance just to finish and as far as I'm concerned is on the very high side for racers too.....and that's looking at the low end of your range. 336miles per week on the bike? Seriously?
I did the Gran Fondo Marmotte des Alpes last year as my A event. I never came close to those cycle volumes in training. Nor did I need to.
Also, as others have said, distances are really the wrong way to discuss training volume. Time is much more relevant.

Level with us. Did you make a mistake in your first post and you're trying to defend it because you don't want to lose face or do you really believe what you're saying?
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I missed where there was mention of how many hours a week these workouts took.

Depending on pace and fitness, it could be a lot or a little. I have plenty of athletes walking/running 14 min/mile, so 14 miles a week would be too much.

If you assume 10 min/mile, it's closer to the 2.5 hours.

Requires more in depth look into where eveything's at to get an accurate picture.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply

Prev Next