Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I missing something? Bikeflights quote seems high
Quote | Reply
I'm going to France the last 2 weeks of July for work. To me, it looks like a hard case on the airline is cheaper even paying the fee both ways than Bikeflights is.

By a factor of like 2x. Bikeflights is $180 one direction and $280 the other return leg. So, $460 before any other fees and such. The airline is $150 each way.

Bike plus case even with saddlebag filled and lights is under 50lbs.

Am I missing something on Bikeflights? I chose the destination city I'm staying in. Is there a thing that makes it much cheaper by only choosing some kind of Bikeflights "hub" where you pick it up in Paris?

For the flight fee option, are ticketing terminals and security OK with you coming in during an off peak hour to get them to put it on their scale and make sure you're good to go at the price you expect? To avoid a day-of travel fiasco?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing something? Bikeflights quote seems high [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have found that the quotes on bikeflights are always higher than flying with my bike. I think that people are paranoid (rightfully so) of having their bikes damaged by an airline, and they think that the postal service will do a better job.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing something? Bikeflights quote seems high [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I'm going to France the last 2 weeks of July for work. To me, it looks like a hard case on the airline is cheaper even paying the fee both ways than Bikeflights is.

By a factor of like 2x. Bikeflights is $180 one direction and $280 the other return leg. So, $460 before any other fees and such. The airline is $150 each way.

Bike plus case even with saddlebag filled and lights is under 50lbs.

Am I missing something on Bikeflights? I chose the destination city I'm staying in. Is there a thing that makes it much cheaper by only choosing some kind of Bikeflights "hub" where you pick it up in Paris?

For the flight fee option, are ticketing terminals and security OK with you coming in during an off peak hour to get them to put it on their scale and make sure you're good to go at the price you expect? To avoid a day-of travel fiasco?

Thanks.

Bikeflights is never a great deal for international flights versus the US. Think of it this way. That flight to France and the airline charges a FLAT $150, but they would charge you a $150 if you were taking a 30 minute flight as well. Where as Bikeflights is just quoting based on the logistics cost + some margin. Bike flights within the US is going to look like a great deal, but the longer the flight, and especially OUS and you are taking on considerable costs which they charge for versus just a FLAT rate price.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am curious where you are travelling from.

I checked Bike Flights for round trip from Houston to London to compete in Ironman Wales. To London was $750.00 and back was $650.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing something? Bikeflights quote seems high [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I am curious where you are travelling from.

I checked Bike Flights for round trip from Houston to London to compete in Ironman Wales. To London was $750.00 and back was $650.

I paid $90 each way for my bike on British Airways for IM Wales in 2016 ($100 if not prebooked).

And to the OP - as someone else pointed out, a bathroom scale will get you close enough that it shouldn't be an issue on the day of the flight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike flights uses a commercial FedEx account. $280 for the return is actually much better than I've ever found.

When I flew to France in 2013 and inquired about shipping my bike home to the US I think the best quote I got was $720.

I just took it on the plane with me both ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We travel a lot, so bought one of these lightweight luggage scales. We tested it w barbells for accuracy, and it's spot on.
Light enough to pack in your carryon, and invaluable during packing so no surprises at check in.
If you want to weigh your bike, and it's packed in box w no handles, invest in a few feet of nylon webbing to make your own straps...

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing something? Bikeflights quote seems high [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Flying out of Houston would cost us $1700 each for two people. Flying out of Austin is $1600 for the two of us. We are flying BA and I am paying $90 for the bike (pre paid).

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing something? Bikeflights quote seems high [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does your airline fee insure the bike if it gets messed up in transit? I flew to Houston for IMTX & it was a little more expensive to use Bikeflights, but I had $8k worth of insurance rolled in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BikeFlights international is never a good deal. I’ve looked into it a few times but too rich for my blood. I know one person that used it for international but he was able to get his company to pickup the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IME when going international... Bikeflights prices aren't very economical. For Cozumel I think it would have cost me like $1K round trip... I went with Delta ripping me off for like $600 or whatever it is they were charging at the time.

Inside the the US Bikeflights is dirt cheap though... usually ~$100 round trip and 2-3 days shipping.
Quote Reply