Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM.
Quote | Reply
I love this forum. I love learning from other peoples mistakes and experiences, and I have learned much here.

I love training for Triathlon. I feel great, look like I did when I was 16 (neck down anyway) and enjoy competing again. I am setting an example for my kids that neither of my parents did for me. They ask to run on the treadmill and spin on the trainer like it is a privelidge, which most of us know it actually is! Triathlon has made my life much more fulfilling for myself and my family.

That said, with three kids and possibly a fourth in the next year or two, I cannot justify to myself or my family the time and effort necessary to prepare for an IM. I don't plan on ever doing one, nor really desire to do one. I was planning on a HIM to end 2005, but a knee injury in August on a trail run derailed that. I am planning the same season wrap up HIM in 2006 on top of some Olympic and sprint races spaced throughout the season. The races I did this year, minus the Galveston Race, were all very well run and a joy to compete in, and many of the people I spoke with had never done IM and didn't plan on it either.

Anyone else enjoy the shorter distances for what they are, and have no desire to take it to the IM level? I hope I haven't offended the IM mafioso, as I have thoroughly enjoyed and benefitted reading their posts.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who said you "had" to do an IM? Yes, this forum can be slanted towards Cervelo and the IM distance...but you know the answers to your questions already. There's plenty of folks here who will never do an IM...in fact, I'm sure there's a number that don't race at any distance, period.

Enjoy the sport at whatever distance you desire....so long as you enjoy the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing wrong with avoiding the IM train. I have done tris for around 12 years and didn't do my first IM until IMCDA this summer. Although it was a great experience, there is nothing magical about it. Kinda just felt like a long slog in some respects (at least for a slow old guy like me, time: 11:37). It is really not that big a deal to go out and crawl your way to a 15+ hour IM which it seems like some people do.

I have always thought the Half IM was the best distance to really race for the average mortal. Long enough to really make you train but short enough to do one a month if you really wanted to.

Just do as much or as little as makes you happy. That is all that really matters in the end anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course you don't want to do an IM, you're a loser that only got registered last October and has only 118 posts!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trimike

Thank you very much for affirming exactly what I feel an IM race would be for me. You understood my post and I am very thankful that at least one person did.

Your time is way below 17, and I would guess there are hundreds of people at that race that wouldn't call your time slow as a few posters on this site would be quick to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes, this forum can be slanted towards Cervelo and the IM distance...
That's because IM athletes are (and kind of need to be) obsessive about the sport because the demands are so great. This is a great outlet (maybe even inlet!) for obsession, so the IM peeps tend to be the ones who stick around here.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should do IM. It helps break up the monotity of all that freestyle. If you can just get through the butterfly, then it is a cinch.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Of course you don't want to do an IM, you're a loser that only got registered last October and has only 118 posts!

LOL!!!

Seriously though... do whatever you enjoy the most! Personally, I enjoy (and have ample time to train for) longer distance events. I got into running specifically for marathons, and into triathlons specifically for Ironman. That's my passion.

PS- just registered last month, and trying to work my way up to 118 posts!
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a slow fourth quarter with two Hurricanes nearly wiping my region off the freaking map!!!

Actually business is good, and after reading a few hundred of your posts I figured that lurking and posting yields about the same amount of benefit (none) to most of the threads so why not type.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
even though i like running long, i prefer to stick to the shorter tris. they are more fun for me, and i don't kill myself training. i'm too focues on my business, and have alot of other hobbies, so it would make me unhappy to spend that much time on an IM. years ago i thought i would like it, now i def know i would not.

10K's,marathons, sprints and olys are all the satisfaction I require. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noone said I had to do one, but the overwhelming assumption by everyone I tell or who asks about Triathlon is that I am going to do one...but I don't want to. I respect the hell out of everyone who does, but HIM is enough for me. Cost/benefit ratio of going longer doesn't compute for me. Had I taken this up a decade earlier...maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm right with ya'. I stretched myself last year to do a half iron to see what it was like and don't even want to do that again even though I did OK. Tried a sprint (misnomer) or two and liked them better, so I'll stick to 1 hour to 3 hour events. If I didn't have to work (dang) I would seriously consider an IM but not sure my old feet could handle the training.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That last sentence sums it up...it's all that I require as well and thank you for affirming that Kittycat.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My version of that type of IM...25 meters of controled drowning followed by silence. It is about as appealing as the other IM to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman distance in and of itself holds no allure for me. I'm happy doing sprints so far and I might consider a half in the next two years. I don't have enough time to train for an IM, I'm not motivated, I haven't been on ST long enough, and I don't have nearly enough posts to even consider such an undertaking. I respect those who have done an IM, but it is not on my radar.

Lou Battaglia

Why didn't I retire last year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noone said I had to do one, but the overwhelming assumption by everyone I tell or who asks about Triathlon is that I am going to do one

Trust me, I think we've all run into people that hear we do "triathlon" and assume it's not only and Ironman, but it's "the one on TV" (meaning Kona). When I did a HIM in September, I actually had people here at work ask me how the "sprint thing" went...

Yeah, it's "just" a half Ironman. Too funny.

But it sounds like you've got your head screwed on right with regards to this. If and when you decide to go the IM distance don't worry, it will be there waiting for you....If not, that's okay too as I don't think there's a scarcity of competitors just yet. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't ever plan on doing an IM. Like others have said I respect anyone that does IM at a high level (under twelve hours) but it's not for me.

Oly distance triathlons are about as far as I can do at a somewhat decent level being that I can only run about 20 miles per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i decided some time ago that i'm better in support of my ironman friends. for example, i can go on marisol's recovery rides with her (she's cruising, i'm half dead), and am more than willing to talk and listen. roof is self containing, i just bring him a bottle of wine every now and then and he's happy. mark may have a couple of panick attacks over his upcoming IM swim, so i'll be around to talk him off the ledge. :) as for greydog, i'll certainly support her any way i can, although I wonder if she is a secret super hero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With you. Completely. I've done one half, and that was far enough, thank you. I have ZERO desire to do an IM. And I don't even have the family commitments you do (one daughter, that's it).

And that assumptive attitude is not just on the outside of the sport. It's IN it too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another ounce of sarcasm lost forever...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you are being honest. I think that deep down you really WANT to do one but just can't make the commitment for whatever reason.

I've heard your lines from so many others many times before. eventually most of them did an Ironman......then another one, oh yeah, after they said they would NEVER do another one........In fact I have said that myself.......several times. ......In fact I just retired 6 weeks ago and anounced it publically on this very forum ......but then since signed up for 2 qualifying races.

Now, when I say I am going to retire after a race I just get a big eye roll from the wife. My kids get upset because they think I'm serious. They love the Ironman more than me. oh, I have three busy ones so that's no excuse.

After my first IM while in the med tent I told the nurse how stupid the race was and everybody who does it is nuts and I would NEVER under any circumstances do another one.

She just laughed and said "that's what they all say, see you next year."

Wise words.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I alone here??? I don't want to do an IM. [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After my first IM while in the med tent I told the nurse how stupid the race was and everybody who does it is nuts and I would NEVER under any circumstances do another one.

She just laughed and said "that's what they all say, see you next year."

Good grief, how true that sentiment is. All through my disgusting marathon at IMF I'm telling myself "no way I'm ever doing this again....I'm even gonna pull out of AZ and just accept that this distance is not for me..."

....and then the next day I get pissed because I didn't sign up for '06 in time. Allrighty then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I would do an IM for my 50th birthday (which is in 2 years), sorta like "I'm not really old" thing. But after I did my first century last month, I could never imagine running after riding that distance. And as slow as I am, I don't think I could make the bike cutoff. The century has cured me completely. I also don't like running so it would have been so difficult for me to find the motivation. I think I would need years and years of base training because I had no athletic background whatsoever. I could not imagine the juggling that people do who have young children along with the demands of a job.

I have the utmost respect for all of those who have finished an IM distance, from the first finishser to the last.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hookem, it just says that you actually have a life! The IM'ers are totally immersed in triathlon, training, etc. and any time they have left over goes toward whatever else is going on in their lives. Triathlon is supposed to be fun and challenging, but it doesn't have to be your entire life. I say this as I begin my training for MY first IM in April. I'll let you know how I feel after my race!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hookem

I am glad you posted this subject. I was going to post the same subject. I am with you I don't want to due an IM. I have read 21 posts we are not alone on this subject. I am also new to the Forum but have been going to ST site for two years. I have great respect for the people who due IM's(some are my friends). I am with Kittycat(sp) it is just not for me. I like to train but I also want to due other things. The amount of training for an IM... well I am not going just spent that much time. I train most days I don't work as it is.(I work 3 days a week 12 hr. days) At 53 I don't want to train on the days I work. My first race was an Oly. loved it ,I was hooked on the sport. I raced one race a month last season April.-Out. due Sprint, Oly.dis. but am planning on 70.3 next season(maybe).

I also have learned from the people who post on this site. But I also feel it is slanted to Im/Cervelo way of thinking. I am glad to see I am not the only one who fees this way.

Bob

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply

Prev Next