Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aluminum post into carbon frame?
Quote | Reply
This may seem like sacrilege, but I wanted a Thompson post on my new gravel build. Riding a non-metal frame is already a big step;) Too many previous problems with bad bolts and the Thompson is a very lite post. Would you grease the post for this assembly?
Quote Reply
Re: Aluminum post into carbon frame? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wouldn't need grease. If anything you could use carbon paste if it slips.

My old trek ttx was a carbon frame and alloy post, nothing exploded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I greased mine (thompson masterpiece post in a carbon OCLV) only because I wanted a moisture barrier between the aluminium and the carbon (I remember some of the old aluminium lugged carbon frames that were susceptible to galvanic corrosion at the joints). Dunno if it was necessary, but it hasn't hurt.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use some carbon paste and take it out regularly to clean and apply paste again. I have a carbon seat post stuck in my frame right now... it sucks.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My carbon road bike came with an o.e. alloy post. I used carbon grip paste, not grease.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Aluminum post into carbon frame? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why? was it slipping?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Aluminum post into carbon frame? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
why? was it slipping?

The assembly instructions called for it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, got it.

I've only used carbon paste on bars, the carbon frames I've had haven't ever needed it on the post. I'm running a carbon post in an aluminium frame and a steel frame. I don't like the post to have too much grip (mainly applicable to the mountain bike) since I want the post to be able to rotate in a crash.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the grip paste wasn't necessary, but I suppose they erred that way to reduce the likelihood of someone reacting to a slipping post by overtorquing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Maybe the grip paste wasn't necessary, but I suppose they erred that way to reduce the likelihood of someone reacting to a slipping post by overtorquing.

true.

my stuff is all older, and seems more overbuilt and less sensitive to proper torque than some of the newer frames.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I greased mine (thompson masterpiece post in a carbon OCLV) only because I wanted a moisture barrier between the aluminium and the carbon (I remember some of the old aluminium lugged carbon frames that were susceptible to galvanic corrosion at the joints). Dunno if it was necessary, but it hasn't hurt.

I think the galvanic corrosion problem is not an issue with an anodized or otherwise sealed aluminum post. For example the Speed Concept 7 series come with an aluminum post.

If you worry about moisture getting in there, put some tape around the junction.
Quote Reply