Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aluminum brack track options
Quote | Reply
Other than HED Black Turbine and Mavic Exalith fancy rims, are pretty much all aluminum brake tracks created equal?

I’m looking to buy/build the best braking wheels I can for my rim braked TT bike.

Edit: these wheels are strictly for training. I don’t care about aero.

Alex Arman

Strava
Last edited by: doublea334: May 31, 18 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: Aluminum brack track options [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d just add that the newest-generation brakes with Kool-Stop pads will help immensely.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Flo still sells the aluminum brake track version... Maybe get a set with full carbon rear and aluminum brake track in front... I have a front Flo60 and Zipp 404FC rear...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED Jet Black. Drop the mic. They combine best aluminum aero performance with best (claimed) braking. I do not think anyone has done comparative braking on aluminum rims to validate HED's claim.

I would vote for regular HED Jet Plus wheels ahead of FLO's aluminum because the HEDs are lighter and probably faster.

I'm not sure about the Mavic's. I think the HEDs are faster. And, HEDs are often on sale, so they may smoke the Mavic on price as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Other than HED Black Turbine and Mavic Exalith fancy rims, are pretty much all aluminum brake tracks created equal?

I’m looking to buy/build the best braking wheels I can for my rim braked TT bike.

If you're open to used, pre-firecrest Zipp clinchers have some really nicely machined aluminum brake tracks. Even if you aren't open to used, I got a brand new aluminum brake track 808 front for around 400 a couple months ago on eBay.

That generation is still fast and only has a disadvantage at higher yaw angles compared to current gen.

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Aluminum brack track options [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
I think Flo still sells the aluminum brake track version... Maybe get a set with full carbon rear and aluminum brake track in front... I have a front Flo60 and Zipp 404FC rear...

Exactly what I do, front Flo60 alum, rear carbon Flo90 w/ powertap. Tons of crap road mountain descents in them with zero issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I updated my original post. I am specifically talking about a training wheelset.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My next road bike wheel purchase will be the HED Ardennes Black. I like that they match the width of my aero wheels, and they are optimized for wider tires, which I really love on my road bike. FLO 30 wheels would be my likely 2nd choice in this category, because they are high value and also wide.
Quote Reply