Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alternative to Giro Empire for more rearward cleat position
Quote | Reply
I've been riding a pair or Louis Garneau Signature 84. They're similar to the Giro Empire but you can adjust the cleat position to be more mid-foot. I have them all the way back plus the Speedplay extender plate to get my cleats where I like them.

The shoe is pretty beat after several seasons of riding and I'm thinking about a replacement but LG doesn't make the signature 84 anymore. If the Empire had any fore-aft adjustment I'd give them a try. Looking around I've stumbled on a few alternative lace-up shoes that do have fore-aft adjustment and wondered if anyone has any experience with these shoes:

Pearl Izumi Pro Air: looks like an Empire SLX copy, price is pretty crazy IMO.

Pear Izumi Tour Road: looks like the economy version of the Pro Air.

Scott Road RC: another option that's between the above two in both price and weight.

Any thoughts, experiences, and/or recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Giro Empire for more rearward cleat position [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get shims that allow you to set the cleat back by a significant distance, for both three bolt and speedplay now. Don't know the brand but my bike fitter said that it was somewhere in Switzerland that had started making them, maybe worth seeing if any local bikefitters have any of them they could sell to you so you can get the empires?
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Giro Empire for more rearward cleat position [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's places that custom drill shoes for Speedplay. Just ship them your old pair and new pair of shoes. Or you can do it yourself after running a shim for a while that allows more rearward position.

The DIY option just makes cleat swaps take 5min longer fiddling with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Giro Empire for more rearward cleat position [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TommyBTri wrote:
You can get shims that allow you to set the cleat back by a significant distance, for both three bolt and speedplay now. Don't know the brand but my bike fitter said that it was somewhere in Switzerland that had started making them, maybe worth seeing if any local bikefitters have any of them they could sell to you so you can get the empires?

Here you have them:

https://mid-foot-cycling.com/

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Giro Empire for more rearward cleat position [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
TommyBTri wrote:

Here you have them:

https://mid-foot-cycling.com/

Jeroen

Thanks Jeroen. I already have the Speedplay extended plate, but it "only" allows an additional 14 mm while the Mid-Foot Ergo and Comp adapters provide up to 24 mm of rearward adjustment. Do you know if the Ergo and Comp also come with shims to match the curvature of the bottom of the shoe? Is the Speedplay adapter that converts 3-bolt to 4-bolt is also needed in addition to the Ergo or Comp (so increasing stack a bit)? Do you know of any places in the United States that supply the Ergo or Comp or is all ordering through their website? Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The adapter plates already are 'curved' to match most soles of the shoes. I can remember there was a piece added that you could use to fill an potential gap but we didn't need to.
If you use speedsplay you still need the adapter plate from them as well as the rearward plates are 3 bolt pattern.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the US and ordered through their website recently (didn't find any other options). Don't remember the actual shipping time but it was quicker than I expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a pair of used Bont shoes here on ST that had a set of more forward holes drilled. The little threaded bits (apparently Bont makes them and they're called "cleat nuts") that went into them just have "teeth" that grab the inner sole of the shoe when a cleat bolt is mounted into them. Seems like it would be quite an easy job to drill your own. The drilled holes don't need to be threaded themselves. They just need to fit the sleeve of the cleat nuts.

Would be a pretty easy job with basic drill for any carbon-plated shoe. Honestly, the holes don't even need to be accurately spaced, (at least for my Look cleats) given the wide adjustment range of the cleat to vary around the cleat bolts themselves.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: May 4, 21 5:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WIggle's house brand, DHB, makes one as well. Would be the cheapest on your list. I was able to pick up a pair last year on sale for ~$50 USD, but looks like they're a bit more expensive than that now. They're not the stiffest shoe, but I'm not doing criterium sprints, so they work for me.

https://www.wiggle.com/?s=DHB+Dorica

Edit to add that they're a bit of pain to get on with elastic laces because tongue slides down. I don't think this is any more of a problem than the other options though. This summer I might get around to cutting out the tongue before I start to race again.
Last edited by: mgreer: May 4, 21 6:06
Quote Reply