Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alternative to Flo 30s
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone- I’m selling a bike that includes my Flo 30s. I’ve really enjoyed them and would like to get another set of those or something similar for my road bike. Does anyone have any ideas for something that would perform and cost about the same? My only gripes about the Flos are that I wish they had black spokes and the brake track remained black. Here’s what I’m considering thus far:

Flo 30
Vision Trimax 30 KB
DT Swiss PR1600 Spline 32

Any idea if the aerodynamics of those others would be on par with the Flos?

I’d like something that is 30-45mm in height and 18-21mm wide internally. Under $1000 ideally. Cheap is good. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a .pdf of a German language "ProCycling" magazine wheel test. They ran 13 wheels on an indoor velodrome with a pro cyclist, recording the watts it took to hold a 45kph target speed. The Spline 32's were the lone "cheap, alloy" example in the test; everything else was carbon or carbon/alloy, and at least 40mm deep. They acquitted themselves quite well, at least in this low-yaw circumstance, essentially matching the Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbons and the Dura Ace C50's. They came in about 9 watts higher than the best-in-test Swiss Side Hadron 625's and Roval CLX 64's.


Last edited by: gary p: Oct 10, 18 13:49
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow-thanks for the reply! That’s quite interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you PM me your email address, I'll send you the full article. Took a lot of copying-and-pasting into google translate to get the story, but it was very interesting.

(File is too large, or I would just attach it here)
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a brand new Kinlin XR31T rim built on a powertap rear hub (which i'm looking to sell since i got a Quarq)

The Kinlin rim has been tested to perform well against the Flo 30
https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog/wind-tunnel-testing-the-al33-xr31tfsw3-and-other-alloys


If you're interested, let me know, i have a few front hubs around and i could look into costs of building up a matching front wheel to accompany it.
Last edited by: quadlt250: Oct 10, 18 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rowotter wrote:
Hi everyone- I’m selling a bike that includes my Flo 30s. I’ve really enjoyed them and would like to get another set of those or something similar for my road bike. Does anyone have any ideas for something that would perform and cost about the same? My only gripes about the Flos are that I wish they had black spokes and the brake track remained black. Here’s what I’m considering thus far:

Flo 30
Vision Trimax 30 KB
DT Swiss PR1600 Spline 32

Any idea if the aerodynamics of those others would be on par with the Flos?

I’d like something that is 30-45mm in height and 18-21mm wide internally. Under $1000 ideally. Cheap is good. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Powertap 35/50. $999. Including a G3 hub.
Power tap DT Wheelset. $599. Shallow rims, but Powertap G3 hub.
Flo 30s
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity why not go with FLO60s or HED Jet 4? Both are pretty darn rugged and stabile.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Just out of curiosity why not go with FLO60s or HED Jet 4? Both are pretty darn rugged and stabile.

In regards to the Flo 60s, I’ve always thought 60mm+ rims on a non-aero roadbike looked weird. So that is simply vanity.

The HED jet 4s have caught my attention for sure, but are more than double the price of most of the wheels I’m considering. The cheapest I’ve found is $1100 for a pair.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah. That totally makes sense. Black Friday is coming up and/or keep your eyes open in ST Classifieds. With some time and patience I've always found what I was looking for.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fulcrum Quattro LG.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Profile Design 30/24 (30mm depth and 24mm rim width)
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 10, 18 16:46
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an FYI, Flo isn't selling bare Flo 30 rims anymore. I am not happy about that. It was perfect for Powertap training/race wheels. grrrrr
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone wants a front flow 30 rim, I have one that's NIB. But I suspect shipping is unreasonable.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the aforce al33 rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you pm me a price?
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Flo 30's (2 pairs) and they are great. Even better have been my set of HED Belgium Plus. I had them built by an experienced mechanic using Shimano DA hubs, 28 hole, crossed spokes. They are fantastic wheels for all kinds of riding, training, and racing – over four years and still perfect. (I swap wheels & tires between bikes a lot so I have a few sets of wheels and use my Flo's for wider and grippier bad-weather tires.) They're basically the same as the HED Ardennes line of factory built wheels, though I recommend getting the rims, hubs, and having them built for you either by a good wheel builder or a reputable online site (I've had success with Excel Sports Boulder for custom wheels).
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
Check out the aforce al33 rim.

This
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you pull the Flos from your bike and put on a set of training wheels? Looking at prices, you are probably not getting a good return by selling the Flos with the bike.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Kinlin XR31-T rim has tested very well in the wind tunnel in relation to the Flo 30. I just built up a set with some lightweight hubs and aero Sapim CX-Ray spokes. You can find pre-built sets too. If you can find a set (or build some yourself) with aero spokes it's a really great wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where were you able to source some XR31T's? I can't seem to be able to find a set in 20/ 24 drilling for rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishOutofWater wrote:
Where were you able to source some XR31T's? I can't seem to be able to find a set in 20/ 24 drilling for rim brakes.

I got them from BDOP. I bought this kit, which has Novatec hubs and CX-Ray spokes for $320, with 20h front, 24h rear. I was hesitant to buy from Taiwan, but I read online about tons of cyclists buying from them and having good experiences. I emailed them a few questions (recommended spoke tension for that kit, etc.) and got a quick response with good info from somebody who clearly builds wheels and races bikes. They came relatively quickly, and extremely well packaged.

You can also get them in all kinds of drillings from BikeHubStore. http://www.bikehubstore.com/...in-XR31T-p/xr31t.htm They seem to have a good reputation too and are in North Carolina.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nilloc wrote:
FishOutofWater wrote:
Where were you able to source some XR31T's? I can't seem to be able to find a set in 20/ 24 drilling for rim brakes.


I got them from BDOP. I bought this kit, which has Novatec hubs and CX-Ray spokes for $320, with 20h front, 24h rear. I was hesitant to buy from Taiwan, but I read online about tons of cyclists buying from them and having good experiences. I emailed them a few questions (recommended spoke tension for that kit, etc.) and got a quick response with good info from somebody who clearly builds wheels and races bikes. They came relatively quickly, and extremely well packaged.

You can also get them in all kinds of drillings from BikeHubStore. http://www.bikehubstore.com/...in-XR31T-p/xr31t.htm They seem to have a good reputation too and are in North Carolina.

Where did you find the test data on the Kinlins?
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the list on my earlier reply, I would add the Hed Jet 5+ at $800 from Performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
nilloc wrote:


Where did you find the test data on the Kinlins?


https://novemberbicycles.com/...nd-other-alloys.html
https://novemberbicycles.com/...w3-and-others-part-2

You can get them already built up from Hunt wheels for $516 a pair. While that's not as cheap as the $320 build kit, it's still pretty cheap for a full set of wheels if you don't build wheels yourself. I think November also sells a wheel set with them. I don't have vested interest in them other than that they're really cheap for the weight and aero performance. I use them on my road bike. My TT bike has more aero wheels.
Last edited by: nilloc: Oct 11, 18 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Flo 30s [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolf Prima Vigor Alpha Steath with Stealth Ballistic armor coating to our US made rims and hubs.

aluminum brake sure pretty much stays black

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
http://athlinks.com/...dv.aspx?rid=19354499 - results.
Quote Reply

Prev Next