Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aloha Challenge
Quote | Reply
I'm a sucker for challenges and there is a meaty one on the horizon.

Going to tackle the Alohaman Xtreme course this upcoming Tuesday, Oct 9th.

Will be going into it following a fantastic taper period, not having ridden a bike since a sprint triathlon back in July. What could possibly go wrong?

Calling any Slowtwitchers with plans to be out on the Big Island to join me for any part of the day.

Here are the course/route maps:

Swim
Bike
Run

At least the swim course looks flat!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Aloha Challenge [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck man! I look forward to reading your race report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like fun! Enjoy! Assume you're going to have someone run the whole marathon with you since that is required in the Alohaman.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 4, 18 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Aloha Challenge [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ideally I'd have at least one or more people for joining me on each of the legs!

However, it's the 125-mile ride I'm not uncertain of my current fitness to complete without imploding. It looks to be an incredible route, very wide shoulders on the roads, likely not much traffic, with loads of climbing and descending. Surely there are a handful or so ST'ers out there who would want to join for a burly day in the saddle!

Guessing it will be wheels down from Hapuna no later than 8:30AM.

Would start the day earlier but afraid tiger sharks feed at dawn and dusk...so thinking a 7AM start for the swim.

LF

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be in for the bike - are you leaving from the main Hapuna lot or the public access next to the Westin? The Strava course is a little confusing in that regard.

I just have to check my dive tables, as I’m doing the manta ray dive Monday night. Luckily we only go down to 33 ft or so.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Aloha Challenge [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear there might be some company out on the roads.

Plan is to meet in the Hapuna State Parking Beach parking lot, rolling out at 8:30AM.

Shoot me a PM and I'll pass along my cell number so we can connect.

For anyone not up for swimming, but offering kayak or SUP support out on the water, we'll see to it that we pick up breakfast and coffee for ya!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good luck lars, very impressive. wld have loved to at least spectate. but afraid work will be in the way.
one sure thing: magnificent pics from aaron.

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Re: Aloha Challenge [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friends out on the island on Tuesday are welcome to join during any point of the day.

for those back at home, we'll be posting intermittent updates via Slowtwitch's Facebook page, including some Live check-ins from the more scenic (and/or entertaining) parts of the day.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Last edited by: VALHALLA: Oct 7, 18 21:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a bunch of PM's asking about expected pacing.

my best guesstimates for each leg are:

swim: 1:20 /100 yds
bike*: 20-22 mph
run: 8 min/mile

pretty conservative estimates. would love for some faster cyclists to show up who wouldn't mind me sucking wheel!!!

*we'll have a support/follow car but will also stop at gas stations along the way (if/when needed) to refill on drinks and food.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fly me out there and I'll give you everything I've got on the bike lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:
I'm a sucker for challenges and there is a meaty one on the horizon.

Going to tackle the Alohaman Xtreme course this upcoming Tuesday, Oct 9th.

Will be going into it following a fantastic taper period, not having ridden a bike since a sprint triathlon back in July. What could possibly go wrong?

Calling any Slowtwitchers with plans to be out on the Big Island to join me for any part of the day.

Here are the course/route maps:

Swim
Bike
Run

At least the swim course looks flat!

What kind of slacker bike course is this when you have the option of turning left and going up Mauna Kea access road when you arrive at saddle, road and then go back down and do the rest of your course and on the way back up from your started turnaround you do another left turn and go up Mauna Loa....then come back down and finish your course...OK OK, I hope the wind is not too crazy and I agree, swim is flat. Go for it.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Aloha Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We couldn't get approvals for either Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa. Kea because of religious restrictions and Loa because Homelands doesn't work with anyone for events. Shut both of them down.
Last edited by: arpalaian: Oct 8, 18 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also... here are updated course maps just posted today with descriptions.

https://www.hixtri.com/course-maps/
Quote Reply
Re: Aloha Challenge [arpalaian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flight mechanical leaving Houston this morning meant a missed morning flight to Kona. Managed to get the afternoon flight after rerouting through LAX. On Big Island now, bike and gear ready to go. Tomorrow is gonna be a beast of a day. Slow and steady is the plan of attack. Action kicks off down at Westin Hapuna Beach @ 7am.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:
Flight mechanical leaving Houston this morning meant a missed morning flight to Kona. Managed to get the afternoon flight after rerouting through LAX. On Big Island now, bike and gear ready to go. Tomorrow is gonna be a beast of a day. Slow and steady is the plan of attack. Action kicks off down at Westin Hapuna Beach @ 7am.

Good luck. Will there be a live feed?
Quote Reply
Re: Aloha Challenge [arpalaian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arpalaian wrote:
We couldn't get approvals for either Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa. Kea because of religious restrictions and Loa because Homelands doesn't work with anyone for events. Shut both of them down.

Why not go around Mauna Kea? My mapping programs says it's about 140 Miles and over 13000ft of elevation gain. Perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: Aloha Challenge [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Video updates on ST Facebook page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:
a bunch of PM's asking about expected pacing.

my best guesstimates for each leg are:

swim: 1:20 /100 yds
bike*: 20-22 mph
run: 8 min/mile

pretty conservative estimates. would love for some faster cyclists to show up who wouldn't mind me sucking wheel!!!

*we'll have a support/follow car but will also stop at gas stations along the way (if/when needed) to refill on drinks and food.

20-22 mph on the course linked is way outside of my capabilities even if i wasn't on a hybrid city/cruiser bike. good luck today!
Quote Reply