Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy.
Quote | Reply
I arrived on the big island for a long weekend of fun in the sun with my family. We were staying at the Fairmont and I went for a run the morning after we got there. Best I can tell I ran for 40mins. Not a harsh run, just an easy pace. As I ended my run at the entrance of the Fairmont I collapsed. Fairmont security saw it happen and they were CPR certified. They saved my life. From what gather my body was then cooled to 32 degrees and I was life flighted to Oahu to the Queens medical ICU unit. (where I sit writing this post.) They said they found a blockage and put a stint in.. I am 46, zero health or heart issue, my resting hr was in the upper 30s/ lower 40s right up to this event.(which freaked a few doctors out over the years, but I explained it was normal. I have huge lung capacity. Yet here I sit trying to make since of it all. I've raced in this crazy sport since 2008, was an USAT All American in 2019 and even snuck in IMAZ 70.3 in November. I'm a sub 5 hour 70.3er and I feel great doing it, never felt like I was pushing my body to the limit. I train between 10-14 hours a week depending on where I am in my ramp for a race. I think about the studies this sport can have on your heart, I guess I just found out how true that will be. I'm glad I was on a run, and not a swim. Long road ahead if me, I don't know if I will ever be able to race. So stay safe out there. I really dont know what more I could have done. )

Quote | Reply
I'm glad you're in care now! Whew. Rest, take care.

Before this, in the years before, had you ever had any of the following?

-ekg
-ultrasound
-bloodwork
-routine measure BP
-other

Stories like this are just so concerning. I had all that stuff done inadvertently after a horrible race crash in a sprint at 35mph. They were doing all that anyway so checked out stuff. And I have a home BP cuff.

I just always wonder if there's anything more to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you’re able to have some hindsight to the collapse & know it can be any of us in your shoes. A guy I coached about a year and a half ago had a stroke in his mid 30’s & sister in law had a heart attack a few months ago at age 51 so it can happen to those who least expect it. We’ll wishes for you & your long road back! Hope to hear an update that you can return. No Popeye’s spicy chicken sandwich for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's scary! So glad you were able to be treated so quickly, and all the best for a speedy safe recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are ok! Any family history of heart disease in siblings or parents? Did you have any symptoms in the weeks leading up to the event? From my experience the general population seems notice chest pains or shortness of breath. Whereas a triathlete will notice a decrease in training performance due to the blockage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow thanks for sharing. I too have a 40s resting heart rate and generally feel great during training.

I also sometimes wonder what's traversing my arteries during those hard training sessions when I hear stories like this. I was reading about Conrad Anker the other day, world famous climber who had a fluke heart attack in the Himalayas.

Nutmeg State
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scary! Glad you're still around to share. As I enter year 49 on Earth with many of those being highly active and the later years very much long distance endurance-based...what kinds of test(s) could/should be looked into getting to look into some of these sleeper ailments?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man that is terrifying, and even more so given how super fit you were (USA All American) and with all that regular training.

Obviously your medical info is private to you and you are absolutely entitled to keep it all private to yourself, but if you learn any more about what led to this as well as what your doctor says possibly could have been tested for to be aware of this, myself (at age 45 so about same as you) and others are absolutely all ears - and you may very well save one of our lives as well.

What you went through is not only my worst nightmare but my wife's worst nightmare as well. She's forcing me to buy the newest apple cellular watch so I can possibly contact her or anybody if I'm out on a ride/run (which I typically do in less populated areas) and have a similar event.

Best of wishes to yourself and your family, and FWIW, I am going to suspect that you will be able to race again in the future, but obviously put your health and family first and recover fully before even thinking about such things!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
I arrived on the big island for a long weekend of fun in the sun with my family. We were staying at the Fairmont and I went for a run the morning after we got there. Best I can tell I ran for 40mins. Not a harsh run, just an easy pace. As I ended my run at the entrance of the Fairmont I collapsed. Fairmont security saw it happen and they were CPR certified. They saved my life. From what gather my body was then cooled to 32 degrees and I was life flighted to Oahu to the Queens medical ICU unit. (where I sit writing this post.) They said they found a blockage and put a stint in.. I am 46, zero health or heart issue, my resting hr was in the upper 30s/ lower 40s right up to this event.(which freaked a few doctors out over the years, but I explained it was normal. I have huge lung capacity. Yet here I sit trying to make since of it all. I've raced in this crazy sport since 2008, was an USAT All American in 2019 and even snuck in IMAZ 70.3 in November. I'm a sub 5 hour 70.3er and I feel great doing it, never felt like I was pushing my body to the limit. I train between 10-14 hours a week depending on where I am in my ramp for a race. I think about the studies this sport can have on your heart, I guess I just found out how true that will be. I'm glad I was on a run, and not a swim. Long road ahead if me, I don't know if I will ever be able to race. So stay safe out there. I really dont know what more I could have done. )

Glad to hear you are OK! TBH, you were lucky...but the reality is that heart disease is still the number one reason for dying in the USA after the tender age of 35 yrs. I say this e-v-e-r-y day, since it is my 'day job'. It is great that you are fit and have a low resting HR, as do most athlete's...but that doesn't change your personal risk of CAD/MI/SCD. You don't have 'huge lung capacity', you have excellent fitness. The studies regarding 'this sport' have little to do with generic ischemic heart disease. Anyone, and I mean anyone can get it. Risk factors are additive and you can't change your age or your genetics.

I have quite a few triathlete training partners who are now my patients after having an abnormal coronary artery calcium scan. The fact you had your event, which was a cardiac arrest *(and happens about 1/4 of the time for the presentation of CAD for the first time), was in a place where first responders were was very fortunate. I'm happy for you. I could tell you lots of stories of successful and sadly unsuccessful ROSC (return of spontaneous cirulation). It happened during IMLP 70.3 and the guy who went down was lucky that a doc was right behind him on the course and a defibrillator was also close by. Luck is one thing-getting checked out ahead of time is quite another. And speaking of trouble during the swim-sadly, when I was at Worlds 70.3 in Nice France, there was a sudden death during the swim. In fact he was literally minutes behind me and it sort of freaked my wife out until she knew I was OK. Preventative medicine is always best, IMO.

I have tons of patients who are sudden death survivors, but only a few who are or were very athletic. And in reality, the risk in most triathletes is much lower than the general population. Most who have had events have returned to sports in one way or another, but not often at the highest level. That is a discussion for you and your MD. One of my favorite patients was an older guy who played adult softball at a pretty high level until he had his cardiac arrest after beating out a single, but fortunately was back out there on the field*(with his ICD post cabg) the very next year.

The answer to 'what more could you have done?' is:

Work with your doctor. Consider getting a coronary artery calcium score if: your are older than 35 yrs and there is more than one risk factor for CAD or if there is a family history of early CAD/SCD. And certainly see your doctor for any activity limiting symptom that is concerning for heart disease like chest pressure/pain or unusual shortness of breath that stops you from doing usual activities.

Best of luck in your continued recovery!
Last edited by: dtoce: Feb 19, 21 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Hope you're doing ok now and fingers crossed you'll be able to get back to everything as before. As others have said medical stuff is private but I'd also be interested to know the cause. Always interested in stories like this and they can certainly help others.

I'm waiting for some bloods to come back at the moment, that was triggered by an eye test of all things. For the first time as well as the usual vision test they took a photo of my eye and I had a lump in one of the veins, which is a red flag for high blood pressure or cholesterol and some kind of possible blockage. I have always had low blood pressure, resting HR currently in mid 40s, consistent 5-10 hrs training a week and healthy BMI of 23. I'm also a sub 5hr 70.3er. Balanced diet, little alcohol, turn 41 this summer, so low risk for cholesterol issues.

Trouble with invasive investigation is what it can turn up. I wonder how many people are walking around with issues they don't know about but it will never trouble them because they are so sedantry, but because we exercise more they come to the surface and cause issues.

Thanks for posting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy you're alive bud.

Generally I've learned that heart issues can happen to anyone, even if you do everything to make yourself in the least at risk category out there which you clearly are.

Good luck on recovery.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.... glad you made it!! Wish you a speedy recovery and all the best.

U
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think he had a plaque rupture given lack of symptoms prior? I think this is one of the challenges for fit triathletes. we constantly go through stress testing when we work out so we think we are invincible. Leads to being more careless with f/u with our health care providers.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
gregtay wrote:

Glad to hear you are OK! TBH, you were lucky...but the reality is that heart disease is still the number one reason for dying in the USA after the tender age of 35 yrs. I say this e-v-e-r-y day, since it is my 'day job'. It is great that you are fit and have a low resting HR, as do most athlete's...but that doesn't change your personal risk of CAD/MI/SCD. You don't have 'huge lung capacity', you have excellent fitness. The studies regarding 'this sport' have little to do with generic ischemic heart disease. Anyone, and I mean anyone can get it. Risk factors are additive and you can't change your age or your genetics.

I have quite a few triathlete training partners who are now my patients after having an abnormal coronary artery calcium scan. The fact you had your event, which was a cardiac arrest *(and happens about 1/4 of the time for the presentation of CAD for the first time), was in a place where first responders were was very fortunate. I'm happy for you. I could tell you lots of stories of successful and sadly unsuccessful ROSC (return of spontaneous cirulation). It happened during IMLP 70.3 and the guy who went down was lucky that a doc was right behind him on the course and a defibrillator was also close by. Luck is one thing-getting checked out ahead of time is quite another. And speaking of trouble during the swim-sadly, when I was at Worlds 70.3 in Nice France, there was a sudden death during the swim. In fact he was literally minutes behind me and it sort of freaked my wife out until she knew I was OK. Preventative medicine is always best, IMO.

I have tons of patients who are sudden death survivors, but only a few who are or were very athletic. And in reality, the risk in most triathletes is much lower than the general population. Most who have had events have returned to sports in one way or another, but not often at the highest level. That is a discussion for you and your MD. One of my favorite patients was an older guy who played adult softball at a pretty high level until he had his cardiac arrest after beating out a single, but fortunately was back out there on the field*(with his ICD post cabg) the very next year.

Work with your doctor. Consider getting a coronary artery calcium score if: your are older than 35 yrs and there is more than one risk factor for CAD or if there is a family history of early CAD/SCD. And certainly see your doctor for any activity limiting symptom that is concerning for heart disease like chest pressure/pain or unusual shortness of breath that stops you from doing usual activities.

To OP: I'm so very glad you are okay.

To dtoce: thank you very much for taking the time to share this. What specifically should a person ask their PCP for if they'd like to get testing done? What are the appropriate and specific preventative medicine steps to take, in general, assuming a person's doctor is not expert in athletics/endurance sports?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s not about being an expert in caring for athletes-it’s about looking for early cad in anyone old enough to be at risk.

Ask your pcp about doing a coronary artery calcium score and follow up with a cardiologist if it’s not a bunch of zeroes
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old lungs wrote:
Do you think he had a plaque rupture given lack of symptoms prior? I think this is one of the challenges for fit triathletes. we constantly go through stress testing when we work out so we think we are invincible. Leads to being more careless with f/u with our health care providers.

Yes.

Plaque rupture in unknown cad leading to first event. And an mi from an occluded artery can cause a fatal arrhythmia in some. Fortunately the op had a successful resuscitation-and cooling is standard of care these days.

Sad, true, all too common.

g'nite ST

I've had another 12 hr day, plus following this so I'm out...
Last edited by: dtoce: Feb 19, 21 17:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that’s scary. Glad you are ok.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is so scary. Thank you for sharing. It is remarkable that you can be so fit and yet still have significant heart disease. But sadly, this is the case for most of us in the western world. Coronary artery disease starts in childhood and is a result of our diet. As you are getting the appropriate high level treatment, you might consider reading this book by Dr. Esselstyn:

https://www.amazon.com/...-Based/dp/1583333002

Lots of very strong science out there on disease prevention and reversal with a whole food, plant-based diet. Other sources to consider include Dean Ornish,MD T. Colin Campbell PhD- both original research and books. A valuable website is nutritionfacts.org. These have been life-saving (extending) for so many.
I am so grateful your life was saved. You are so lucky to have a second chance. My thoughts are with you. I wish you the best in your recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [endurer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurer wrote:
This is so scary. Thank you for sharing. It is remarkable that you can be so fit and yet still have significant heart disease. But sadly, this is the case for most of us in the western world. Coronary artery disease starts in childhood and is a result of our diet. As you are getting the appropriate high level treatment, you might consider reading this book by Dr. Esselstyn:

https://www.amazon.com/...-Based/dp/1583333002

Lots of very strong science out there on disease prevention and reversal with a whole food, plant-based diet. Other sources to consider include Dean Ornish,MD T. Colin Campbell PhD- both original research and books. A valuable website is nutritionfacts.org. These have been life-saving (extending) for so many.
I am so grateful your life was saved. You are so lucky to have a second chance. My thoughts are with you. I wish you the best in your recovery.

Yep. Not to be punny, but along the same vein, the MD who does the NutritionFacts.org website also wrote this book that basically talks about the same thing....

"How Not To Die" https://www.barnesandnoble.com/...el-greger/1122186990

Quote Reply
Re: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy. [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I'm glad you're in care now! Whew. Rest, take care.

Before this, in the years before, had you ever had any of the following?

-ekg
-ultrasound
-bloodwork
-routine measure BP
-other

Stories like this are just so concerning. I had all that stuff done inadvertently after a horrible race crash in a sprint at 35mph. They were doing all that anyway so checked out stuff. And I have a home BP cuff.

I just always wonder if there's anything more to do.

No, admittedly I have not had any significant workup or monitoring (I will make this a practice going forward.) I did have another scary event in 2012 where I had a staph infection get into my blood and spread around. Mostly ended up in my spine the the ER doctors were worried about my heart... they did a lot of cardiovascular testing and didn't find anything concerning. That fun medical episode put me on an IV machine with antibiotics for 3 month and the inability to walk for 1-2 monfh.

Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
gregtay wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to share this info, extremely valuable and appreciated!

Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Man that is terrifying, and even more so given how super fit you were (USA All American) and with all that regular training.

Obviously your medical info is private to you and you are absolutely entitled to keep it all private to yourself, but if you learn any more about what led to this as well as what your doctor says possibly could have been tested for to be aware of this, myself (at age 45 so about same as you) and others are absolutely all ears - and you may very well save one of our lives as well.

What you went through is not only my worst nightmare but my wife's worst nightmare as well. She's forcing me to buy the newest apple cellular watch so I can possibly contact her or anybody if I'm out on a ride/run (which I typically do in less populated areas) and have a similar event.

Best of wishes to yourself and your family, and FWIW, I am going to suspect that you will be able to race again in the future, but obviously put your health and family first and recover fully before even thinking about such things!!

I'll share everything I can on the new journey, no reason to keep it private if it can help others. I'll post more answers when I have them.

Quote | Reply
Old lungs wrote:
Zero issues or indications I'm a little undertrained right now since it's the off-season and really not sure when my next race will be. I wear my Garmin every day and there is nothing that seemed out if the ordinary in my hr data.

Quote | Reply
Very scary. Glad your well and I wish you a speedy recovery.

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG. Thank goodness you’re alive. Get well soon.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next