Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
It really depends on which nuts you're talking about. The primary fats in almonds for instance, are omega-6 fatty acids. Most of us already get way more of those than we need. Walnuts on the other hand have decent amounts of omega-3 fatty acids as do macadamias which have very little omgea-6 but a good deal of mono unsaturated fatty acids instead. Hugh

This.

10-12 macs a day = 200 kcal. Mostly omega-3 cals. Good source of phytosterols (to reduce LDL-cholesterol) and manganese (to control blood sugar).
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
ncwildh2o wrote:
Anyone else here soak and rinse their nuts prior to eating?

I just wash my hands but to each their own, I guess..

Hilarious.
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [Pedalhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedalhead wrote:

This.

10-12 macs a day = 200 kcal. Mostly omega-3 cals. Good source of phytosterols (to reduce LDL-cholesterol) and manganese (to control blood sugar).

I like chocolate covered macs from hawaii :)
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
From most everything I've read, debating that raw nuts are healthier than roasted nuts is equivalent to debating that cooked tomatoes are healthier than raw tomatoes: both factually true, but also largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of our diets.

Eating nuts of any kind (or tomatoes of any kind) is a lot healthier than most other "snack foods," and just as healthy as almost anything else we can eat.

I'd hate for someone who didn't like raw nuts to go back to eating chips because of a mistaken belief that roasted nuts are somehow unhealthy/non-nutritious.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that there is a much more profound difference. But I agree 100% with your last sentence.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
From most everything I've read, debating that raw nuts are healthier than roasted nuts is equivalent to debating that cooked tomatoes are healthier than raw tomatoes: both factually true, but also largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of our diets.

Eating nuts of any kind (or tomatoes of any kind) is a lot healthier than most other "snack foods," and just as healthy as almost anything else we can eat.

I'd hate for someone who didn't like raw nuts to go back to eating chips because of a mistaken belief that roasted nuts are somehow unhealthy/non-nutritious.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that there is a much more profound difference. But I agree 100% with your last sentence.

The biggest thing I've seen noted as a problem is that most "roasted" nuts aren't roasted at all, but fried in oil. Which again isn't a big problem (just more vegetable fat to go with the vegetable fat in the nut), unless it's partially-hydrogenated oil (trans fat). But "dry roasted" nuts shouldn't have added oil.

I've also seen evidence that roasting at too high of a temperature causes oxidization, but the significance of that seems minor (to me).

Am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't stop eating pistachios and clementines. That's my nightly routine.
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
..the fructose is going to cause more damage b/c insulin release is dependent on blood glucose levels

What "damage" would that be?
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/...eggies-are-healthier

http://www.lookchem.com/...-Chemical/14693.html

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:

The biggest thing I've seen noted as a problem is that most "roasted" nuts aren't roasted at all, but fried in oil. Which again isn't a big problem (just more vegetable fat to go with the vegetable fat in the nut), unless it's partially-hydrogenated oil (trans fat). But "dry roasted" nuts shouldn't have added oil.

I've also seen evidence that roasting at too high of a temperature causes oxidization, but the significance of that seems minor (to me).

Am I missing something?

you are missing the fact, that if the oil is tranfat free, it still turns to transfat under high heat. Heating vegetables liek tomatoes may make certain nutrients more bioavailable, but this is not the same for fats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer Nutella for this. lol
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
ncwildh2o wrote:
Anyone else here soak and rinse their nuts prior to eating?

I just wash my hands but to each their own, I guess..

LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/...eggies-are-healthier

http://www.lookchem.com/...-Chemical/14693.html

John

Furthermore
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/...vs-roasted-3920.html
suggests raw almonds are more dangerous in some ways and less healthy.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
[
Furthermore
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/...vs-roasted-3920.html
suggests raw almonds are more dangerous in some ways and less healthy.

IIRC the nutritive value of both cashews as well as peanuts are enhanced by roasting.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: May 31, 13 13:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:

I buy raw and roast at home. 350 deg, 13 minutes for almonds. Delicious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
IIRC the nutritive value of both cashews as well as peanuts are both enhanced by roasting.

Woo hoo! After my run today I'll be munching on Cashew Butter and Hazelnut Spread without feeling any guilt.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I read was death, death, and more death.

Allergies...
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

you are missing the fact, that if the oil is tranfat free, it still turns to transfat under high heat. Heating vegetables liek tomatoes may make certain nutrients more bioavailable, but this is not the same for fats

It can turn to trans fat if it's repeatedly overheated (think fast food fryers). Whether that happens or not in an industrial nut roasting factory...who knows?

Also, it's not clear if our bodies treat that type of trans fat the same way they treat trans fats in partially hydrogenated oils (just as we don't understand how the body processes the naturally occurring trans fat in beef, etc.).

So, for me, for now, it goes back to being largely irrelevant in the bigger picture of my entire diet.
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [ncwildh2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ncwildh2o wrote:
Anyone else here soak and rinse their nuts prior to eating? I started doing that and it really cuts down own the tannin taste, but question whether it adds to the health benefits of raw nuts (better nutrient absorption, easier digestibility).

Plus the wife likes cleaner nuts......

from what I have read, and this applied only to almonds, our bodies do not absorb the nutrients from almonds unless they've been soaked. So I soak ours overnight before using in oatmeal the next day.

Also, it is super easy to roast on your own. Some almonds, a cast iron pan, salt/soy sauce and you're set.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just responding to the nut question, I had read about the veggies, John. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to be cautious of when eating dried fruits or roasted/flavored nuts is the reward factor of the food, and how it affects your feeling of satiety.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/...ctor-in-obesity.html This guy talks a bit about what I mean by the reward factor of food.

Willpower to stop when you should is all well and good, but when your physiology is hard-wired to make you take in more than you should of a particular type of food when it's available...it can be exhausting to ignore the demands of "another handful, now!"

I have to stick to the unsalted, raw varieties now as the wasabi, or thai lime & chile (mmmmm!) had that irresistable quality that made them hard to have in proper moderation. With the raw, the reward factor is lower, my body's satiety is higher, and it's easier to quit when I should and feel full.

Regarding soaking nuts, we have a raw granola recipe we use at our house with soaked nuts & seeds that we food process and serve with yogurt and blueberries. Similar to this: http://kokoskitchen.com/.../raw-granola-recipe/

Make up the dry mix of nuts and seeds ahead of time. Before bed scoop out a serving o' the mix and soak them overnight, then in the morning just rinse, quick chop in the FP and serve. Yummy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's good to know. I hope the beer I drink while pushing handfuls of cashews into my face will add some sort of nutritional benefit.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply

Prev Next