Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Allergies and natural solutions?
Quote | Reply
Are there any proven and safe alternatives to allergy treatment (pollens) beyong the traditional desensitization treatment, antihistaminics, and the heavier (from a medication standpoint) approaches?
Quote Reply
Re: Allergies and natural solutions? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had great luck with showering before bed (getting the day's allergens off) and then sleeping with an air filter on in my bedroom...getting a good pollen-free night's sleep has been worth gold during the day

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) have been shown to decrease the severity and symptoms of atopic dermatitis and asthma (both of which I can vouch for personally). Since allergies are right along the same pathway, seems like it would be worth a shot.

Jodi

*Edited* There is no proof that fish oil reduces the severity of atomic dermatitis

;-)
Last edited by: Jodi: Sep 23, 07 16:54
Quote Reply
Re: Allergies and natural solutions? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - Atomic Dermatitis! That must require a pretty heavy dose of steroids to clear up! ;-)

Never mind the radiation doses ...

LOL!

(I know you meant ATOPIC dermatitis - just wanted to help others here in case they are googling things they haven't heard of).

Re: Allergies and natural solutions? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome!

Yeah, I'll edit it. That is really funny though...

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Refrain form eating and drinking milk products and cheese. You may have an alergy to these products which can cause stuffiness. which can cause sinus problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW
Are you sure it is allergies? I thought that was my problem and recently got tested - turns out that I am not allergic to anything, just have chronic sinusitis. I didn't even know that I was sick - just tired alot.
Anyway, part of my treatment plan (in addition to 30 days of antibiotics) includes a twice daily sinus rinse with baking soda and salt. It is too early to tell if it helps, but the information that I was given claimed that it was very effective for people with allergies, sinusitus, etc.
Hope this helps -Good Luck!

www.sinusrinse.com or www.neilmed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Allergies and natural solutions? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. While the many benefits of Omega-3 are quite amazing, I am unfamiliar with any clinical evidence that they can help allergies, although there has been experimentation on this. Omega-3 does somewhat mitigate asthma because it reduces inflammation. Allergies, on the other hand, happen because the body mistakes pollen for a invading body. Therefore, it is an immune system disease.

There is some thought that either maternal supplementation and/or early childhood supplementation of Omega-3 could help, but our particular thread starter sounds like they already hit puberty. :>)

See Blumer's comments below.

J Perinat Med. 2007;35 Suppl 1:S12-8.
Consumption of omega3-fatty acids during perinatal life: role in immuno-modulation and allergy prevention.
Blümer N, Renz H.

Department of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics, Philipps University of Marburg, Germany.

Epidemiological data suggest that dietary factors may have a role in recent increases of the prevalence of allergic diseases. One food-related component might be the reduced consumption of omega3-polyunsaturated fatty acids observed especially in the Western societies; yet, clinical trials supplementing omega3-fatty acids to adults with established allergies and bronchial asthma have generally been disappointing. However, it is known that the immature immune system is highly susceptible to immuno-modulatory environmental conditions particularly in the pre- and postnatal period. This review discusses the immuno-modulatory effects of omega3-fatty acids supplementation in the perinatal life phase on the immune system of the child. Evidence exists that perinatal omega3-fatty acid exposure affects T-cells and antigen presenting cells of the neonates likely due to altered eicosanoid metabolism. Although animal experiments strongly suggest a role of maternal omega3-fatty acid intake on allergic immune responses in the offspring, the beneficial effect of omega3-fatty acid supplementation has been studied in a small number of clinical trials. In these studies perinatal supplementation had some positive effects on distinct clinical phenotypes of the atopic syndrome. However, more studies are needed to fully explore the opportunity of perinatal immuno-modulation.

PMID: 17302535 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me once I have the sinus infection nothing but antibotics wll clear it up.

To prevent I really find staying off dairy and soy products helps a great deal.

Get a neti pot and rinse with salt and warm water a couple of times a day. A health food shop should have.

Loads of vit c when you body tells you you need it.

Andrew

http://www.theyogapod.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we're throwing around untested home remedies, I've heard eating 1-2 tablespoons of local unpasteurized honey each day is supposed to help. Some mumbo-jumbo about the bees and pollen... whatever. As I see it, the worst that happens is that it has no effect and you eat a bunch of sugary honey everyday on your bread...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OCEAN saline spray up the nose, regularly. especially after being outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

I started using one of those nasal wash systems after getting my year allergy induced sinus infects last year about this time. So far, knock on wood, I have avoided my year mid-Sept infection. We'll see, but so far I am a believer.

Good luck,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't yet tried it, but a number of my friends and family SWEAR by the neti pot. Say it's a miracle cure...

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Allergies and natural solutions? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about PECANS PECANS PECANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED PECANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Allergies and natural solutions? [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which ones? Chocolate covered pecans? Shelled pecans? Sugar-free chocolate covered pecans? pecans! pecans! PECANS!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um....would you like a sample?
Quote Reply
Re: Allergies and natural solutions? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
been using the netti pot. still quite lethargic, congested etc...
and yes, it's allergy related.
Quote Reply
Re: Allergies and natural solutions? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I concur with the nasal irrigation system. It has really helped to keep my chronic sinus infections at bay. No anti-biotics in 10 months now!

Bernie

Re: Allergies and natural solutions? [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last year, at the same period of the year, I have allergies coupled with a mega sinus infection requiring 2 months of augmentin XR (your stomach loves it)...it wasn't really cleared after then, but I tried the netti pot and 2-3 days later, it was gone...then I used it every day...but slacked off during the summer...and I wonder if I didn't allow the infection to settle in now that it's allergy season...I should keep using it but I want to get rid of the infection and allergies without yet another antibiotic treatement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been doing the honey thing for allergies for two years now with with the only result being that I spend a lot of money on bread and honey. But it is quite good. :)

P.S. I live in New Mexico

Azby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my daughter was miserable from allergies and repeated sinus infections. The Dr. tried a variety of prescriptions, none of which really worked. A friend of my wife's made the recommendation to try a sinus wash. She has had no issues since using it once a day - twice when her allergies really kick up.

http://www.unimedprod.com/...-w3I4CFRcIYgodoEizAA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last year, at the same period of the year, I have allergies coupled with a mega sinus infection requiring 2 months of augmentin XR (your stomach loves it)...it wasn't really cleared after then, but I tried the netti pot and 2-3 days later, it was gone...then I used it every day...but slacked off during the summer...and I wonder if I didn't allow the infection to settle in now that it's allergy season...I should keep using it but I want to get rid of the infection and allergies without yet another antibiotic treatement.

For several years I have had really bad problems with my sinuses. Specifically I could not blow my nose productively to get the crud out and it would just seem to go deeper and blow out my ears. I went to an ENT and had a CT of my sinuses done. She told me before she did the surgery to fix the problem (which I really didn't want to do) she wanted me to try this sinus cleanse system. It has been really amazing. I also had my tonsils out, which I have always associated with my sinus infection problem. Mostly because I was correlating the times that I had sinus infections with the problems I had with my tonsils. My biggest problem seemed to be if I was in a environment that required me to breathe in pollutants (mowing the lawn, smoke from a fire, wood dust). It would get in there and then wouldn't get out and would lead to infection. Now I am very good about flushing the sinuses and keeping them clean.

My wife, at age 27, began to have seasonal allergies to the point where they would linger and lead to November pnemonia. It was painful to watch her start down that path in August, only to watch it progress until November. We had a pretty crappy Dr. at that point who wouldn't treat it until she was so sick she would almost require hospitalization. My wife started seeing an allergist, and began getting allergy shots. Her problems have been pretty well-managed since, but she still suffers in the Fall.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
Have you tried something like Nasonex? I don't have to take anything (antihistamines) anymore but that and I would consider my allergies toward the chronic end of the spectrum. Not totally natural but it least it doesn't knock me out like antihistamines do. In fact I have found I don't even need nearly the recommended dosage for great results.

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Sep 24, 07 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried every drug on the market, even guinna pigged a few with almost deadly results. I have used the salt water, sea water sprays. Nothing works, nothing. I go through hell every fall. The closest I have come to finding a way to not be a klenex hog in the fall is smoking. As bad as it sounds, it made me feel the best. I haven't smoked for a few years, although I have had them in my hand this fall. It's been a really brutal season for allergies here.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NAET
Quote Reply

Prev Next