Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
All right, how do older folks train in the morning?
Quote | Reply
I'm not that old, only around 40. But I'm trying to figure out morning workouts and I just can't seem to overcome morning stiffness without an hour of static stretching beforehand. That makes the whole morning too long to make it realistic to get to work on time. I know that current understanding of stretching has it that static stretches are detrimental before a workout, but after I wake up in the morning, my lower half is tight tight tight. I need rolling, plus hamstring, quad, and hip stretching, otherwise I'm just not loose enough for a decent workout. Morning or evening. I tried dynamic stretches and eventually went back to long, static, delicious stretching. This morning, I tried to cut it short by doing a quick rolly olly and then just short static stretches. I got to the gym and attempted lunges, but felt so stiff that I spent my 45 mins... stretching.

What do the old, stiff people of slowtwitch do to loosen up? Any hacks out there? Do I just need to add an hour of daily stretches as a midlife necessity?

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb wrote:
I'm not that old, only around 40. But I'm trying to figure out morning workouts and I just can't seem to overcome morning stiffness without an hour of static stretching beforehand. That makes the whole morning too long to make it realistic to get to work on time. I know that current understanding of stretching has it that static stretches are detrimental before a workout, but after I wake up in the morning, my lower half is tight tight tight. I need rolling, plus hamstring, quad, and hip stretching, otherwise I'm just not loose enough for a decent workout. Morning or evening. I tried dynamic stretches and eventually went back to long, static, delicious stretching. This morning, I tried to cut it short by doing a quick rolly olly and then just short static stretches. I got to the gym and attempted lunges, but felt so stiff that I spent my 45 mins... stretching.

What do the old, stiff people of slowtwitch do to loosen up? Any hacks out there? Do I just need to add an hour of daily stretches as a midlife necessity?

I'm 62. My go to is a long hot shower. Works wonders. But I don't lift, just swim, bike run and a little hot yoga now and then.
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the 50ties .. enjoy the rests .. set the clock 5 a.m. .. enjoy the sun rise .. oSo >

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just come to the conclusion that some people can do it while others have a difficult time.

I'm like you, I have a difficult time. Normally a lot of sugar helps me out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're that stiff in the morning the problem isn't the morning the problem is you and how you're taking care of yourself the 16-18 hours you're awake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
61 here. Long ago I got in the routine of stretching at least twice a day during/after a shower and/or my workout (after already warmed up and loose). Easier to stay loose that get loose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do a full-on 20-minute or so stretching routine before my Dawn Patrol runs; I had a great playlist and everything. Then, just by the way things happened, when it came to race day, for one reason or other, I often couldn't get the stretching time in, and had to start out kinda cold, yet it didn't seem to negatively affect my performance. In fact I PR a couple times without it. Since then, I've scaled it back to just a couple looseners on the porch steps and off we go

As ALWAYS ...
For every STer who says there is absolutely one single and perfect way to do anything [and they have the data to support it], there is another STer who will say that way of doing whatever it may be, is completely and absolutely wrong [and they have the data to support it]

Stretching is one of those issues that may never be completely resolved

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks folks, the advice to examine my whole day and where I'm making my body stiff is probably good--I do have a standing desk and I do monitor my body. But at night I can tend to sack out on the couch and stop drinking water. Perhaps I can think more about what I'm doing at night. Also, I'm intrigued by the hot shower idea. My fear would be that it'd zap energy, but it's definitely worth a try. Any other ideas or experiences?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
63 here, and first thing in the morning I start a minute here, a minute there of stretching out my legs and back. I do some unweighted squats, then sit down on one for a minute. Just push agains the wall waiting for coffee and stretch hammies and calves. Watch some business news on my lower legs, stretching quads.

It all starts slow and stiff, but after just popping in some of these in the first hour after waking up, Im pretty much ready to hit the running. I also get to walk my kid to school which is about 12 minutes, so that loosens up things a bit more. Just little bites of time will go a long way down the road, at least for me it does.

And usually at night watching some tv or computer, I try and do a good stretch before bed, that seems to keep a total lock up over the night, and starting with a bloc of wood in the mornings...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this stiffness occur in the joints, or outside the joints? Joint stiffness may indicate osteoarthritis (degeneration), which I have in my ankles and does occur in the mornings. Unfortunately, no amount of stretching/rolling will help that.
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point about the arthritis. I don't think it's that, however. My knees have some niggles, but I've been to a few doctors about it, and no one has mentioned arthritis. The stiffness is mostly in my quads and hip flexors, and to a lesser degree in my hamstrings and shoulders.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 49 and I'm usually on the treadmill or trainer within 15 mins of waking up (sooner if I actually properly laid everything out the night before but how often does that happen?) for my 5 or 6 am workouts. It does take 10-15 mins to get the legs warmed up so pushing intervals around or above FTP isn't so hard and it takes maybe 20-30 mins until the HR responds to intervals like it does later in the day. But aside from that no serious stiffness that is morning-specific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not missing daily morning training helps and caffeine gel before morning training is a must !

Good luck !

Martin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower carb diet might help. Inflammation should be avoided in diet and exercise to your true fitness level with occasional surges. Hacks include heat pad on really troublesome areas. Infrared sauna, morning or night, helps with toxins and life's stresses. Good mattress too. Slip on some running tights and moving while waiting on coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
53, have been doing the early morning thing for a long-time now to the point where it is routine. Light stretching for a few minutes to start has worked for me.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 40 and am up sometime between 3-4:30 each morning to get the workouts in. I sometimes have soreness from previous workouts, but never any stiffness. I've been doing the early rise thing for several years now, so my body is just accustomed to it. I'm generally running or biking around 20 minutes after waking up. I don't do any sort of stretching before running or biking, but always ease into a workout a bit.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb wrote:
I got to the gym and attempted lunges, but felt so stiff that I spent my 45 mins... stretching.

Did you swim, bike or run before attempting lunges? Even before I hit 40 many years ago I would SB or R for at least 10 minutes to loosen up before lifting weights or doing something like lunges.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Feb 6, 19 13:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 62. I get out of bed around 5:30am and swim, bike, run. That's it. Nothing complicated. Stretch a bit after sometimes.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, go to bed early enough. That's the hardest part, then in the morning: coffee, sugar (fruit, maybe bread, not sugary drink), active stretching, and also go look at the sun (it can help tell your body to wake up). For active stretching I'd say move your arms/shoulders around, twist torso, leg raises, butt kicks, calf raises, it can all be at half speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried doing a few dynamic stretches like hip openers and then do some skips or a penguin walk for a few feet?

Let the first few miles be a warm up. Loosen up on the go, then start your workout...

Even on days where I’m tight and fatigued, I find one I get moving everything becomes easy again at some point...

Maybe don’t do anything crazy earl morning just make it your easy run / ride / swim...
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you! 40 too, and in the last 6 months or so I've been waking up feeling stiffer than I can remember. I'm taking much longer now to start my morning workout as I need to really ease into it. For me a lot depends on my quality of sleep. if you get a good nights rest in it makes all the difference. Pretty much ditched run workouts for the early am and only do indoor bike. My warmups are slightly longer now. really easy for 20-25min.
Personally I think the quality of sleep plays a big role.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost 59, and not a morning person, chiming in.

Morning run days I do some light yoga (child's pose ~> cat/cow ~> down dog w/alternating calf stretch ~> sun salutations) followed by a dynamic warm up before going out the door. Maybe takes all of 15-20 minutes?

I also try to run through some sort of easy yoga after my shower on non-run days just to get the joints warmed up.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
59 - old, yes. stiff, yes. Swim on weekday mornings . . . up at 4:15 for past 34 years and don't miss a day. I find that very easy on my body. I stretch afterward in the pool. On weekends swim or bike 1st thing . . . drink a coffee while I limp around and then >>> GO!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a guy who is 30 but has beat the living sh*t out of my body since I was little - and feel it now.

Stretch. Everyday. Take an evening for 30 mins or so and just stretch. Get more flexible. Loose. It makes a HUGE difference after a month or so to how you feel in the morning.

PS - I dont buy that don't stretch thing. As a former gymnast - if we didn't stretch - things popped, pulled, broke, twisted, tweaked, etc. We static stretched before and then static stretched for flexibility after really pushing the limits of our bodies to gain flexibility. Those who came late or skipped it for some reason ALWAYS ended up injured or tweaked by days end.
Last edited by: Twinkie: Feb 6, 19 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 58 and start my days on my bike. I've got an old spin bike, set up to my tri bike fit. Although I usually ride much longer, I'm loose and ready to go within the first 30 minutes, to tackle whatever else I may do each day. I'm in the no stretch club. I had a stretching/rolling routine I did religiously for many years. I often felt unrested and flat on race days, although I tapered and rested up well. It was recommended to me, to stop stretching during race week taper, as your muscles are trying to build to 100%, and (microscopically) tearing them apart by stretching, hampers their final race ready recovery. So, for several years, I quit stretching on race weeks, and felt much better on race day. Then about 4 years ago, I simply never returned to any stretching or rolling. I haven't stretched or rolled since. And haven't missed it at all.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next