Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
All new USAT rankings site (beta)
Quote | Reply
tl;dr: I got sick of waiting for the official USAT rankings site to be fixed, so I wrote my own:

http://sellergren.net/usat-rankings/

Please forgive the embedding on my website, but I wanted to get some Analytics on it. You can always enter full screen mode or go to the Data Studio link directly.

I did some ugly things to get this data, which is current as of July 22. There's a lot of work to improve this obviously, but I have a day job, so it might take a while. But please do make feature requests!

I didn't really want to write Yet Another Web Application, so I decided to give Data Studio a try for now. If it doesn't continue to provide what I'm interested in, I may cave and write some JavaScript.

The "is_ranked" means 3 or more races, as per usual with USAT.

Let me know what you think!

Andrew

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Last edited by: asellerg: Aug 27, 18 21:08
Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EDIT: FIXED

And of course, the num_results filter is not working right now. Trying to fix now.

Last edited by: asellerg: Aug 27, 18 21:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how do i search for myself? or is that not a feature currently?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! A lot easier to search than the USAT site. And of course, it's a lot more up to date. Do you plan to pull the data periodically? Not a tech guy but have no idea how you pulled the data.

Embarrassing that the USAT site has been broken since some time in June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice that you put this together. I agree that it's terrible that the one service I find value that USAT offers is out during the middle of race season. Couldn't they have scheduled it for December-February?

You should really set up a paypal donation thing similar to the psych sheets for running par times for races ahead of USAT getting them up. I'd drop in $5 for every time I asked you to run a par time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The race directors are not sending you any results; so why would your site be more current/accurate than the current USAT site?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
how do i search for myself? or is that not a feature currently?

Change the sort order to use last name.
Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just added first name and last name filters back in. They hadn't been working reliably, so I removed them. The one quirk is that you need to narrow down the results before searching for your last name because of the way Data Studio works. I'm already getting a little fed up with Data Studio, unfortunately...

Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do plan to refresh it periodically. The one-time pull was tedious, but doing a few weeks at a time shouldn't be too bad.

Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The results are directly from the USAT site. The current USAT rankings site is broken in that it shows individual results for some athlete but doesn't include those scores in the rankings. Mine does.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your site has my score as 98.869. USAT has it as 99.324. Might be something wrong with your algorithm.

Looking forward to my IM70.3 Boulder score to come in.... thinking I might finally get an overall score of over 100 :)

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Aug 28, 18 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
You're site has my score as 98.869. USAT has it as 99.324. Might be something wrong with your algorithm.

Looking forward to my IM70.3 Boulder score to come in.... thinking I might finally get an overall score of over 100 :)

Congratulations on your entry into the BDBHOF (Bad Door Brag Hall of Fame) :-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was pretty front door...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, What is it about Eric Whitaker's 26th place finish in a local sprint race that gets him a USAT score of 145.99?? USAT has that result for him as well....

haha... he raced in the sprint race but they have him entered in the Olympic race with a time of 1:23

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Aug 28, 18 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Your site has my score as 98.869. USAT has it as 99.324. Might be something wrong with your algorithm.

Your USAT Score is only using your first 2 races. USAT has not updated ranking scores in 6 or 7 weeks even though they have scored individual races since then. You will notice they still have you "unranked" i.e. fewer than 3 races, even though you have 4 scores listed. Andrew has used all available scored races to pick your top 3. I think the Boulder Peaks Triathlon score was not available when he last pulled the data so I would think it would go up a bit once that is incorporated into the rankings.
Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh interesting. I thought I was unranked because my usat membership lapsed right after the peak and their site had been down since I re-enlisted.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I appreciate your efforts, this seems to be more broken than the USAT site. I have 3 rated races on the USAT rankings site (last one in early June), yet there is no record of me in my age group on your site.
What is the end goal here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice catch! I had a small bug in my code. I have your score now as 99.14. USAT has your score at 99.34 because they're only averaging the first 2 scores (100.63 + 98.056) instead of the top 3. That's why you're also listed as unranked according to them.

Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mind providing your name so I can debug? You can PM me if you'd rather.

The goal was basically for me to see where I'm ranked as of my last race, which USAT isn't counting. My goal was to be All American this year and as I'm injured right now, I wasn't sure if I needed to race again before the end of the year. I figured while I was at it, I would share the data with Slowtwitch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
makes sense, I will send you a note.

Best,
Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found and fixed another bug thanks to your PM, thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is very cool.

I actually didn't even realize the USAT wasn't updating the rankings. Are they giving a reason and timeline for it being fixed?

On that note, the reason I haven't even looked at rankings is I'm still trying to get the results from a race in early July posted. I've emailed USAT, getting the standard, we didn't receive the results.

I've emailed the RD, he claims he sent them the packet and they processed the payment.

Someone is lying and It drives me nuts. Any other real avenues to get this fixed? Just keeping emailing?
This would be my 3rd race so I could actually be in the rankings...........
Quote Reply
Re: All new USAT rankings site (beta) [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I don't know of any timeline they've given for fixing it, no.

If you have the raw results from the race, I can give you the par time so you can estimate your score from that race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you could do the sprint race at USAT ag nationals? What kind of results data do you need?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
asellerg wrote:
Thanks!

I don't know of any timeline they've given for fixing it, no.

If you have the raw results from the race, I can give you the par time so you can estimate your score from that race.

They told me 2 months ago it would take approx 1 - 2 weeks. :(
Quote Reply

Prev Next