Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

All around athletes
Quote | Reply
You know the people. They can pick up any sport almost instantly. It seems they are naturally gifted athletes. Balance, agility, flexibility, speed and coordination are second nature to them.

Are many of you like this? Do you typically pick up sports easily? Can you go play a sport you haven't played in years and do decently well?

or

Do you avoid certain sports so as to not embarrass yourself? No volleyball in the summer. Don't take clients out on the course for a round. Definitely don't get a pick up game of basketball going...

In which category do you fall?
Quote Reply
Re: All around athletes [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't do anything I suck at, that doesn't just go for sports either which is why I have no letters after my name. But no stick and ball sports for me. Was into the "extreme sports" growing up. I used to skateboard, freestyle BMX, then I raced motocross and supercross, mountain bikes, and I was also a competitive freestyle skier in high school. Now I do triathlon. Don't know if I am naturually gifted but whenever I do any of those sports I usually perform the same. I can still kickflip a skateboard, cherry pick a BMX bike, hit big doubles and triples and pull 720's on skis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can do is move fast in a straight line but I'll play other stuff.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about picking things up instantly, but I'm probably on an above-average level at running, swimming, biking, golf, tennis, table tennis, basketball, pool, volleyball, and softball/baseball. Each of those has been a passion at one time. Not so good at the "balancing" sports (skiing, water skiing, skateboarding).

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess you could say I am like that.... though I feel like I am bragging. I can shoot in the low 90s golfing without playing for a year, bowl a 200 without ever really practicing. Very good at every sport I have tried but never among the very best.

To be honest I would trade all that versatility in and be a complete goof but for one thing if I could be the very best at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was named Athlete of the Year in 6th grade at Sand Lake Elementary School in Anchorage, Alaska. I could dog-sled, harpoon whales, and drill an ice-fishing hole faster than any other kid in my class.

So I clearly fall into the former group.
Quote Reply
Re: All around athletes [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you The Most Interesting Man in the World?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most sports, yes. I don't like baseball so I never played it much, basketball and I are at complete odds for some reason, but most other sports and activities come very easily. That is also extended to include musical instruments and a few other non sporting activities.
Sports I've competed in - Swimming*, cross country*, bicycling (Road and mtn), hockey, skiing (Downhill and x-country), bowling, water polo, triathlon*, martial arts**, golf, Irish dance, soccer, track, duathlon and I'm forgetting a few.

* Nationals
** Worlds

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use to be like that when I was a young buck. It started to fade in my 20's and then I tried to take up skate skiing 2 years ago....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....I was humbled.
Quote Reply
Re: All around athletes [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't always drink beer. But when I do, I actually drink a Canadian beer called Unibroue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sports I picked up easily:
Running
Cycling
Fieldhockey
Volleyball
Football ( the american kind)

Sports I never seem to improve at
baseball
basketball
dancing
football(the american kind)
swimming
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say I pick up sports relatively easily. I think my childhood experience helped that. We played outside everyday. Basketball, baseball, football, golf, tennis, swimming, hockey on rollerblades, lots of biking, climbing anything that could be climbed, kayaking, surfing, water skiing, and snow skiing in the winter.

I was a lucky kid to have the exposure to so many sports at such a young age (played all those sports by age 8). I will say the fact that I never picked ONE sport to be great at has always been a "what if" for me. In high school I was a 1 handicap in golf, 3 year starter on a 6-a state championship runner up football team, and 2 year starter on the state championship lacrosse team.

I became very good at a lot of sports but never GREAT at one and that about sums up my triathlete experience as well...
Quote Reply