Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: All Things Recovery [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no. Don't misunderstand....I haven't always been consistent and disciplined. I was young and dumb for a long time. But, being young and dumb....you can get away with a lot. At 51, I'm not young, anymore. The jury is probably still out on the DUMB....but, I try to avoid it most of the time.

I don't sleep much. 6 hours a night, since birth. My parents tell lots of stories from my crib days. :-) So, my sleep practices probably aren't to be modeled. The only time I can sleep 7+ hours is when I've pulled an all-nighter the day before. Even when I go on extended 2-3 week vacations, I still naturally gravitate to a 6 hr sleep pattern. Truth be told, my brain seems to prefer a 26-28 hour day. I have a hard time going to sleep on a 24 hr cycle.

Foods? I don't do anything fancy, no. The usual lean meats, fish, and veggie proteins, 2g/kg lean-mass. Vegetables of most colors...and olive oils 90% of the time. 95% whole grain starch sources. I don't do supplements or vitamins.

I'm just a pretty straight forward guy. Outside of things that are illegal, I just haven't seen any evidence to support the usage of anything to get faster except hard work.

Your stage racing use-case is a different beast from my intended question. As per Xtrapickles post above, that falls into the category of just trying to access your existing fitness day after day. Perhaps that's at the expense of performance improvement. But, in the context of a stage race, winning can be about "slowing down the least". And, as you say....if you aren't on the line in the morning, you ain't winning.
Quote Reply
Re: All Things Recovery [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moving on to the next recovery tech-(fad/wonder product) on the front page.

Massage guns. I've seen them increasingly used, but have avoided ever using one because I've never felt that taking a noisy power tool to flesh looked particularly relaxing.

At least the boots are relaxing. While I've haven't bought them for lack of evidence, they *are* relaxing to use when freely available.

But I'm a tech whore in general, so could be convinced.

Similarly to compression boots, there are studies related to DOMS (here and here). Meh. DOMS is pretty rare for me, and it's not clear that getting rid of it faster is any real benefit.

I sure wish there were studies of other recovery markers. (are there?).
Last edited by: trail: May 27, 20 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: All Things Recovery [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Is there any scientific evidence to suggest that these recovery boots are benefitial to performance improvement? In light of the quote below:

xtrapickles wrote:

I do not think a conversation about recovery is complete without the interaction of Recovery / "Signal for Adaptation" / Performance improvement.
Study done in 2017, plus additional studies listed in the right hand margin.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC5491247/

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: All Things Recovery [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Moving on to the next recovery tech-(fad/wonder product) on the front page.

Massage guns. I've seen them increasingly used, but have avoided ever using one because I've never felt that taking a noisy power tool to flesh looked particularly relaxing.

At least the boots are relaxing. While I've haven't bought them for lack of evidence, they *are* relaxing to use when freely available.

But I'm a tech whore in general, so could be convinced.

Similarly to compression boots, there are studies related to DOMS (here and here). Meh. DOMS is pretty rare for me, and it's not clear that getting rid of it faster is any real benefit.

I sure wish there were studies of other recovery markers. (are there?).

Yes I wouldn't consider them to be relaxing at all in the same manner as boots. And yes, they are noisy as heck. That is one reason to go with something like the Hyperice Hypervolt over other guns Theragun etc. I did some decibel testing in a comparison review against and advertised and cheap powerhouse. They TL:DR is they were both loud. I have both a Hyperice Hypervolt and purchased one of the fly by night knockoffs. I need to do some testing. They are both quieter but are they less powerful as a result??? Easy to make a massage gun quieter by dialing down the power??? Would need to do some testing, but it does seem the design of the Hyperice has something to do with it. That being said, my brother-in-law just asked me for a recommendation after using one of mine at the house and I told him just to get a generic one.

I find I tend to use the guns on the hip sockets and glutes. That is something boots have a really hard time of hitting.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next