Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alkane Waxed Chains
Quote | Reply
Hey, wondering if anyone has experience with alkanechains.com I've always wanted to buy a waxed chain but ceramicspeed is too expensive and companies like wattshop and zerofriction cycling charge too much to send to the states. This company seems like its what I want but I wanted to check if anyones used it first? Looks like you can send in 5 chains to be waxed for 20? Im not sure
Quote Reply
Re: Alkane Waxed Chains [cmitchell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a Premier Tactical and be done with it. /thread

https://www.premierbike.com/...ucts/optimized-chain
Quote Reply
Re: Alkane Waxed Chains [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The selling point for me was that I could get 5 chains rewaxed for $20. Then I could send in the chains from all my bikes every few weeks. Does't look like that premier bike will do that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can rewax your chains yourself for practically nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Alkane Waxed Chains [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I did that for years but stopped a few month ago cause I don't really have time anymore
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like it's actually $28 for 5 chains, once you make the selection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems like a pain, and expensive. The cost would be $8 per lube. Let’s say you would want to lube a chain every 3 weeks. You are spending $140/year on lube alone, plus the cost of the chains, so around $200/yr for lube and chain.

Buy a $135 premier chain plus a $20 bottle of wax lube, and you are money ahead and it is easier.
carbenfire wrote:
Looks like it's actually $28 for 5 chains, once you make the selection.
It’s actually $40 for 5 chains with the shipping in both directions.
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 24, 19 18:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good catch. For some reason I assumed the outbound shipping was included in the price because of the shipping label mention in the product description.

Initial prep aside, the first $40 is enough to cover a basic crockpot and wax, then the successive orders are just to save... what, no more than 30 minutes of effort, likely less? I can see how that might shake out for some, but at that point it seems effective to just do it yourself. Cut the price down to half as it was originally presented and things seem a bit more attractive.
Quote Reply
Re: Alkane Waxed Chains [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The outbound shipping is covered in the price. My math was: 4 chains = $26 + $6 shipping. I already have 2 chains for 2 bikes. Each chain lasts 3 weeks so I'd rewax every 6 weeks. I ride these bikes 8 months out of the year so I'd rewax ~5 times. =$128. $64 per bike per year.
Quote Reply
Re: Alkane Waxed Chains [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carbenfire wrote:
no more than 30 minutes of effort, likely less?

Definitely less. You don't have to sit there and watch it simmer...
Quote Reply
Re: Alkane Waxed Chains [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I waxed my own chain I did three mineral spirits baths (as molten speedwax suggests) to clean. The time and money started to add up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A gallon of mineral spirits is what, $10? Plus the same for a gallon of alcohol. You buy a little crock pot for $15. A little wire mesh basket is nice and maybe another $5. So that stuff costs $40 and should be good for 10 years.

Buy Cliff Wax at Wally for $2.50/lb. Good for ~25 waxed chains? Say 250 miles between waxings. 6250 miles or about a years worth for most people.

So it totals to $65 for 10 years, 62,500 miles. Compare that cost to your scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
carbenfire wrote:
no more than 30 minutes of effort, likely less?

Definitely less. You don't have to sit there and watch it simmer...

Of course not. Just a generous upper bound if you're being very meticulous and doing five chains individually. I haven't needed to try it yet, but if you have enough volume you can probably get away with doing more than one at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never reused mineral spirits though I guess I could have. Went through a $15 container of mineral spirits and a $10 container of denatured alcohol in three waxes of one chain. So with two chains it would be much more than $64 per chain per year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you attempting to market for them? This is your first post here, and your economics are way off. Revisit your math. It’s $8/lube. Net annual chain cost is $200 for a ~5K/year rider. So, the cost exceeds faster and easier options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just wondering if anyone has used them so I could ask about turnaround times, etc. And my math is solid. I have waxed my own chain for years and have loved it, but my living situation right now makes it impractical and I don't have the time. The reusing mineral spirits is a good point though. Can you really get years out of one gallon? I'd assume it would become way too dirty after a few cleans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And to answer your question, yes I made this account to ask this question. I honestly don't mean to market for them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmitchell wrote:
I never reused mineral spirits though I guess I could have. Went through a $15 container of mineral spirits and a $10 container of denatured alcohol in three waxes of one chain. So with two chains it would be much more than $64 per chain per year.

You only need to clean a *new* chain. Once it's waxed, no more cleaning. Well, I usually wipe it off with a paper towel and some alcohol before it's next waxing, but that's all. You don't need a lot of solvent either, just enough to submerge the chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
You only need to clean a *new* chain. Once it's waxed, no more cleaning. Well, I usually wipe it off with a paper towel and some alcohol before it's next waxing, but that's all. You don't need a lot of solvent either, just enough to submerge the chain.

I still do a complete recycling of the wax every couple of months by melting off the old stuff in a heated ultrasonic cleaner. I don't know if I need to, but every time I do there's a satisfying layer of dirty wax in the cleaner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use "squirt". Strip the new chain of the manufacturing grease and let the chain sit in it overnight. Take it out let it dry and attach it to your bike. Done. Check the results of squirt with the google machine. Its up there.
PS I do add some graphite powder to the squirt for the overnight soak. Don't tell anyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Alkane Waxed Chains [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proper waxing runs an order of magnitude quieter than Sqirt and runs for much longer.
If you take more than 2 minutes of your time to rewax the chain you are doing it wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Are you attempting to market for them? This is your first post here, and your economics are way off. Revisit your math. It’s $8/lube. Net annual chain cost is $200 for a ~5K/year rider. So, the cost exceeds faster and easier options.

Zomg! $200 annually when bikes cost 10 grand? Cuz nobody ever wasted any money on triathlon...

I’m with the OP, I’m tired of maintaining equipment and would consider having someone wax chains for a lousy hundred bucks a year (also no longer a 5k/yr rider).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

my thought as well... dude registers, then same day starts "question" threadabout product extolling what a great deal it is, then spends next 7 posts extolling virtues of the product he had the "question" about.

I'm fine with people pimping their stuff if they are open about it, but threads like this piss me off.
Quote Reply
Re: Alkane Waxed Chains [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
$200 annually when bikes cost 10 grand?

I’m with the OP, I’m tired of maintaining equipment and would consider having someone wax chains for a lousy hundred bucks a year (also no longer a 5k/yr rider).
That is a false comparison. It is not $200 relative to the cost of the bike. It is $200 relative to other faster, easier, and cheaper waxed chain options.

In the olden days, baking a chain in paraffin was the only way to do wax lube. But now we are in the modern era, where there are many great liquid-based waxed lubes available that are as fast or faster than the old school paraffin approach. And, you can re-lube a chain in about the time it takes to remove and reinstall a chain. So, instead of screwing around with chain removal and re-installation very 3 weeks and then shipping off a bunch of chains to be re-waxed at $8/unit, you can just liquid wax lube a chain in 3 minutes without ever taking anything off the bike. And all this convenience and performance comes at a fraction of the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from Squirt, what are the other spray/drop-on wax options that come in a bottle? Honestly curious (I still do the paraffin crockpot, which works really well, but I wouldn't mind having a bottle option in those 'woops forgot before my ride' situations.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next