Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno
Quote | Reply
Because I've seen the other thread being locked.. Frodeno confirmed 2 things in a german interview:

- there was quite some cursing going on from Brownlee after a flat when he rejoined the group complaining why they didn't wait up for him. Frodeno also said he knew at that point that Brownlee has gone too deep into the red zone

- Brownlee gave Frodeno a body check in the finish area

I wonder what this is all about.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's actually footage:

Alistair gave Frodeno a body check, commentator asked Frodeno
"Seems like he has a hard time loosing?"
Frodeno:
"He's always been a jerk. We never liked each other and probably never will"

Frodeno unfiltered and I love it :)
Last edited by: cmart: Oct 13, 19 5:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's hilarious. I'm not a triathlete, but I didn't think that triathletes had complex unwritten "waiting" rules for mechanicals like us roadies.

Edit: If it's about not waiting when he got a flat...of course it could actually be something else.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 13, 19 5:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man I sure wish that interview was in American!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tbh I just think A. Brownlee got massively humbled which he's not really used to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how Brownlee raced like a lunatic, but not losing graciously is no bueno. Great race for Jan. Legend.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
I love how Brownlee raced like a lunatic, but not losing graciously is no bueno. Great race for Jan. Legend.

The funny thing is, Mark Allen (on the live stream) said AB told him 1,000 people told him to be patient in the race. And AB said "I've got it". Apparently, he didn't.

Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frodeno basically used the german word to call brownlee a tramp. i think the general meaning was to say he's got no class. but jan did it in a manner that was relatively light hearted and funny, particularly after just being shoved mid interview.

it seems like the problem was that brownlee thought they should have waited/ not 'attacked' when he had a flat.

don't think he realises that's not how things work in most of triathlon and definitely not in kona with a wurf chase pack coming up behind. sure brownlee blames his race falling apart on having to bridge back up to them. not accustomed to getting humbled.

getting a flat sucks, same for sebi last year, but no way any one can wait around for you.

had no idea that there was a bit of needle between the two of them before this though!
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [Chad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fully agree. Frodo also suffered a flat on his first kona.
This is not the tdf. Flat, tough luck.

In any case, flat or no flat, I am pretty sure Frodo would have still bagged this win given the time difference on the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Because I've seen the other thread being locked.. Frodeno confirmed 2 things in a german interview:

- there was quite some cursing going on from Brownlee after a flat when he rejoined the group complaining why they didn't wait up for him. Frodeno also said he knew at that point that Brownlee has gone too deep into the red zone

- Brownlee gave Frodeno a body check in the finish area

I wonder what this is all about.

We all know AB cannot handle the heat so it wasn't intentional. He was likely just staggering across the line.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
We all know AB cannot handle the heat so it wasn't intentional. He was likely just staggering across the line.

Won gold in Rio, so not sure about that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman was yelling from ST to AB "stop riding so hard" and this was what 15 mins into the bike ride, when he's attacking one of the hills to get 30s advantage only to have that lost after sitting up 6 mins later. I thought this year AB's Kona result was a total throwaway because I actually thought he was going to be the perfect "domestique" for Frodo in the end- front pack S/B who was going to help push the pace to put the chasers in a bit of bother only to then run like "shit"....IE I kinda figured it would go down like Gomez did what last year or the year before. A little bit too over their heads, most especially as Kona doesn't really fit AB's personality imo. He knows he needs patience but if that's not in your blood, it's not in your blood and your likely not going to nail it. Of course I've suggested Kona accolades or not should be meaningless for AB's "legacy" but now with Frodo tearing up Kona + gold medal that legacy is looking top of the heap more and more for Frodo.

It also looked like on several occasions AB purposedly rode up into draft zones only to fall back out without making any passes. But that's just nit picking.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely, frodeno was in total control the entire race. clinical deliverance and untouchable.

sebi said afterwards, he knew if jan was on his game today, there would be nothing he or anyone else could do about it and it was just about being there to pick up any pieces that might fall their way.

maybe brownlee could have finished a few spots higher up if he hadn't had to bridge up, but like someone said above, he didn't have the patience for kona yesterday. could see that when he thought he could just ride off the front on his own at the beginning of the bike.

it's always amazing the calibre of athletes that can get humbled by the performance levels and conditions in kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Tbh I just think A. Brownlee got massively humbled which he's not really used to

Hear! Hear!

He looks like a spoiled brat who doesn't like to lose - I met some bullies like him during my days as a teenager.

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's the link to the other interview:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad wrote:
definitely, frodeno was in total control the entire race. clinical deliverance and untouchable.

sebi said afterwards, he knew if jan was on his game today, there would be nothing he or anyone else could do about it and it was just about being there to pick up any pieces that might fall their way.

maybe brownlee could have finished a few spots higher up if he hadn't had to bridge up, but like someone said above, he didn't have the patience for kona yesterday. could see that when he thought he could just ride off the front on his own at the beginning of the bike.

it's always amazing the calibre of athletes that can get humbled by the performance levels and conditions in kona.

He could have waited for the sebi/wurf/sanders chase group and then sat in to pace off Sebi during the run. Potential 3rd place with that strategy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Chad wrote:

He could have waited for the sebi/wurf/sanders chase group and then sat in to pace off Sebi during the run. Potential 3rd place with that strategy

That was my thought as well. No need to burn it up. Ease in with the chase group and hit T2 ready to run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad wrote:

It took Macca, what 3-4 years to figure it out? Interesting to see if AB has the patience and interest to remold himself for a single event. Kona usually isn't a casual checkmark in a pro triathlete's palmares.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a story for another day. The headline here is absolutely terrible sportsmanship by AB. I recognize that none of us (ok some of you actually do) these athletes but this was surprising to me and absent a heartfelt, it was a heat-of-the-moment, poor demonstration/ I was pissed off at the end of a bad race apology from AB, put me in the group who will no longer be cheering for this guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good point, that would have probably been the best idea.

but as a kona rookie and being sat at hawi waiting for a wheel change, it would have been difficult to work it out in the moment. not helped by getting wound up about his group riding off into the distance. especially having not yet seen the chase pack coming in the opposite direction and not knowing how far back they were, or potentially even who was in that pack.

can't see brownlee having the patience for kona/ ironman in the next few years and might pivot back to attempting tokyo, but also not being able to get back to his best there and getting caught in the middle, fading away a bit.

where as in reality, he's probably not really far off being able to podium in kona next year if he puts is mind to it and doesn't set about changing everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Inexcusable. Staggering lack of maturity. Unless there is something going on that we don't know about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Class act by Frodo - I think the best translation would be ‘bum’ which is very classy & oldschool calling someone out! During my bike race career in Germany everybody who was acting stupid I called “Penner” ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownlee was done an hour into the race when we was sprinting up Palani like it was the last 500 meters of a road race. Was ridiculous
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
There's actually footage:

Alistair gave Frodeno a body check, commentator asked Frodeno
"Seems like he has a hard time loosing?"
Frodeno:
"He's always been a jerk. We never liked each other and probably never will"

Frodeno unfiltered and I love it :)

I saw then in South Africa last year for the worlds and they were acting like best buddies at the awards... Frodo has had nothing but praise for AB during the pre-race interviews. You sure you are not confusing AB with Lange?
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee vs Frodeno [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you seen the video? Its Brownlee and they also mention him
Quote Reply

Prev Next