Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai
Quote | Reply
Jus saw that alistair is registered to start next week in Dubai! His main competitors are bozzone, Kastelein & Nilsson though I doubt any of them will be able to keep up.
Gomez won with a 3:42 last year, what’s the over under that Ali beats that?

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't count Bozzone out, though it would be surprising if he kept his form from last fall. Brownlee should probably win I agree, but alot depents on how his condition is coming out of injury. Could be could - could be in a rough patch.

As a side note - I was kinda expecting both Blu and Gomez also to show up for this race! Dont see them now, but man that would be some race - with three of the best ITU-guys in a race with a decent "long-distance" crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not entirely surprised Gomez has not shown this early with his stated 70.3WC/Kona ambitions - there's no need to be in ITU shape for the early events for him this year.

I would not be surprised either if Ali pulls out either - if he shows then he'll be confident in his recovery and fitness as he doesn't race to blow cobwebs away: he'll race expecting to win or not at all.

First time Gomez, Ali and some of the other 70.3 guns line up will be exciting; let's hope they don't make us wait until the WC....
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
First time Gomez, Ali and some of the other 70.3 guns line up will be exciting; let's hope they don't make us wait until the WC....

Unfortunately I think this is going to be the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bozzone had a great run last fall, but if alistair is in good form after the surgery, it’s his race to lose.
But it seems he is in decent shape which I believe is enough to win. Don’t think he will run faster than 1:12 though mostly because he won’t need to.

Yeah that was too bad, saw that Blu was heading to playitas and saving it for Abu Dhabi.
Really would like to see Ali and Gomez head to head in a 70.3 and I recon we will see it during worlds if Gomez doesn’t skip it for Kona but I doubt it.

Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:

Unfortunately I think this is going to be the case.

Agreed, think there will be a bit of poker played with race entries/late withdrawals etc. No doubt we will see the names lined up, get excited then find they scratch just before and probably never intended to race (or decided not to once X entered etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think he has been back running for long so maybe some way off his run best. Though he won a fell race over Christmas - not sure what the race standard was like (as a side note one of his coaches Jack Maitland was a top fell runner. There is a good book on the 1983 fell season and the rivalry between Kenny Stuart and John Wild in which he features a fair amount.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes surely he is not at his best, but even at 90% he's most likely way ahead of this field.
The fell race wasn't super deep, but had a few 31 min 10k runners so he is still in good shape.
Fell running truly seems awesome, which we had something similar here in Sweden.

Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
I don't think he has been back running for long so maybe some way off his run best. Though he won a fell race over Christmas - not sure what the race standard was like (as a side note one of his coaches Jack Maitland was a top fell runner. There is a good book on the 1983 fell season and the rivalry between Kenny Stuart and John Wild in which he features a fair amount.

If he's running fell races at all he must be reasonably confident in his recovery - even if he's not back up to full run speed yet slipping and sliding over a bunch of serious hills for just shy of 10k means he must be feeling good about not injuring himself again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Bozonne is still on the form he showed last year he will certainly keep Ali honest. You never know how a guy is going to race after an injury and layoff, but suffice it to say that he can not be in super top form and still win. But if he is off just 5% and the flying Kiwi is on his best game, then it is anyones race.

Not a horribly deep field so pretty much up to Bozzone to be the spoiler I would say, maybe Nillison if he has developed some recent speed to go with his endurance..
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allow me to make this a thread about Lionel Sanders. I wish they would have found a way put Lionel on Emirates and flown him out there. I bet he wouldn’t have turned it down.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Allow me to make this a thread about Lionel Sanders. I wish they would have found a way put Lionel on Emirates and flown him out there. I bet he wouldn’t have turned it down.

Paging Marc Roy....we need to get Air Canada to put Lionel on the Toronto Dubai flight ASAP!!!! (no need for Emirates if that is not possible, Air Canada flies that route too)
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it just me who wants to see how Lionel would fare on an itu bike? I’m imagining a early break with the Bs and Sanders, then Sanders lays down the hammer and goes 500w mode to try for a solo break

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean he continually drops 500 watt hammers as he struggles not to get dropped out of every corner because his bike handling skills suck? He'd get demolished for sure. Plus it's really hard to go on a break with the b's when you come out of the water minutes behind them. Not to mention he would lose several more minutes on the run. I've always thought Lionel is given too much credit on this forum, but this is next level.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've always thought Lionel is given too much credit on this forum, but this is next level.

Said the poster with the with the username IMswimmer328;)

To me, it is not about credit versus relate-ability and respect coming from runners and/or bikers that are adult onset swimmers (AOS). There are a lot of us.

I also think his results are credit enough.

BTW, I get the comment as I have just as much respect and admiration for a pure athlete like Ali, but I can't relate to him in the same manner as Sanders.

Back on point: I think some consistency at 70.3 will be litmus test for Ali, rooting for him to succeed as it just brings more intrigue to long distance racing (my bias).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
I wouldn't count Bozzone out, though it would be surprising if he kept his form from last fall. Brownlee should probably win I agree, but alot depents on how his condition is coming out of injury. Could be could - could be in a rough patch.

As a side note - I was kinda expecting both Blu and Gomez also to show up for this race! Dont see them now, but man that would be some race - with three of the best ITU-guys in a race with a decent "long-distance" crowd.
Javier is here in New Zealand. He’s swimming in Rotorua at the weekend in the Ecomist Blue Lake Festival. Last week he raced in a team doing the cycle leg in the Port of Tauranga Half.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel is a fantastic long course athlete, and certainly has the potential to duke it out with the best on a good day. However, the post I replied to insinuated that Lionel would be able to compete on the ITU circuit, even dropping the brownlees to make a solo break. That thought is just laughable. You can talk about relatability all you want but that doesn't change the fact that he can't swim, bike, or run well enough to be a successful short course athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry missed the distinction as I thought we were speaking about 70.3 and your statement of "getting too much credit" on this forum clearly is not in the context of his short course racing.

BTW, ITU does have a long course WC, which I believe Lionel did pretty well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I realize I didn’t get my point through. I do not believe Lionel could be competitive in itu, not that he would stand a chance against the Brownlees. I think Alistair is the best triathlete to date, and am not comparing them,
I also know that his handling skills are far below what is necessary for itu.
What I meant was that it would be fun to see Lionel race with all of the surges going on, he is obviously very strong, and I believe he would do well in the format if he had the other prerequisites.

Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that he would want to or should.
But, if he was to invest the time needed into developing ITU draft legal, short course skills.
I wonder how far it would get him?
Paging Brent McMahon....

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Not that he would want to or should.
But, if he was to invest the time needed into developing ITU draft legal, short course skills.
I wonder how far it would get him?
Paging Brent McMahon....

My guess is if you popped LS into a lead ITU bike pack right now (this ignores the fact that his swim will never be good enough for ITU) he would probably get droppped due to 2 factors:

- High end W/kg being too low.
- Bike skills being a bit ropey.

In long course biking the currency of success is absolute power at or around FTP and how aero you can get at that given power.

In ITU, while FTP is still important, 5s, 1min and 5min power to weight are much more important for the repeated accelerations (a=F/m). Bike handling can also be the difference between getting dropped and holding a wheel (something he could improve a lot on).

Having watched long course athletes go back down to ITU (Macca), the repeated surges are something they tend to struggle with.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thread is about Brownlee doing 70.3 Dubai.

9 of the last 10 posts are about Sanders. Congratulations Slowtwitch!
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes back to the point!
Last year Gomez went 24:11 - 2:03:52 - 1:10:44
How will Brownlee do? Im guessing 23:5x - 2:04 - 1:12 for easy win by 5 min.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think if I was putting money on it, I'd go DNS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't look like Torenzo is racing. He posted on instagram that he hasn't trained for 7 weeks and is now just getting back into it.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next