Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
well, it's not exactly apples-to-apples, but:

ali in 2018: 3:35 ( 22:36 - 1:58.51 - 1:09:36)

javi in 2017: 3:42 (24:11 - 2:03:52 - 1:10.44)

Assuming the course is the same it rather puts it into perspective!

However LS would of crush both of them :)
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
You can see why he is rumoured to find this sort of racing a bit less engaging. He would have soft tapped the swim comfortably, then spent 3 hours alone just managing pace. It may be different at World Championship level, but that's just once a year whereas the top ITU guys face off several times a year.

I guess they could start the field and then have him start 5 minutes later.

But seriously - I agree, its got to get a bit boring for him once he takes the lead on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
well, it's not exactly apples-to-apples, but:

ali in 2018: 3:35 ( 22:36 - 1:58.51 - 1:09:36)

javi in 2017: 3:42 (24:11 - 2:03:52 - 1:10.44)

Assuming the course is the same it rather puts it into perspective!

However LS would of crush both of them :)

Makes you wonder how good he could be if this was the distance he focused on rather than Olympic gold medals.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
He would have been 5 min behind...
Sanders might as well hang up a pic of Brownlee instead, as he will be the new king of Kona

Very likely, depending when he's racing it. For Sanders and others its more likely to win without Brownlees and Gomez. Would be nice to see him and Gomez same Kona race and both in shape. Feels like the only one ,if anyone, that can stop A.Brownlee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the only thing that can stop Alistair is his history of often getting injured by overtaxing himself. Maybe that won't be such a bit deal for longer course racing, where he may not be doing as much high intensity training. We'll have to see.....

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had a handicap race sort of like that in Sweden last year, it was a running race and your start time was based on your pr. Pretty fun concept though it has some issues.

Would be hilarious to see Ali start with the females in Kona and still win

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't suppose there will be any sort of highlights package done and released for this?
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll play. I think if sanders was there, brownlee would have beaten him by 3 min, most of that on the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, "Alastair Brownlee: Olympic champion dominates at Dubai Ironman 70.3" is on the front page of the BBC Sport section currently.

Potentially the 10-12th promoted article.

Just for fairness...

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Portions of that bike leg looked like a draft fest in the men's chase group. Disappointing to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Off topic, but anyone know why the race was on a Friday?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uk_bloke wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:
can't believe no one's made any comments about what Sanders would have done...............

Nor me, I keep checking back to see what nonsense the Sanders Fan Boys are spouting, though it's still 5am on the East Coast, so most of them are still in bed.

Hilarious that it’s the hater’s club that brought him up, and accusing the fans while doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, my original comment was meant to refer to the television news sports section (not sure if that was clear or not) but yes I see that an article on it has just about scraped on to the BBC Sport homepage on what I think can fairly be described as a "slow news" day. He slots in just behind Women's Rugby and some rubbish about Scottish Football politics!

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see more UK coverage of all forms of triathlon, but I don't think many would argue that it's waaaay down the list in public profile. My original point was that in terms of public profile, winning another Olympic Gold in 2020 would outweigh winning Kona by a huge margin.

Edited to add: and in fairness to the BBC and media in general, it's not really a major news piece; he beat a pretty weak field in a race that no one could really watch, halfway around the world. The point about the triple-crown series was interesting though, I wonder if we'll be seeing him in Bahrain too?
Last edited by: awenborn: Feb 2, 18 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Off topic, but anyone know why the race was on a Friday?

In the middle-east the weekend is Friday-Saturday, not sure why they chose the Friday out of those two though.

Coverage is pretty minimal as it is though, it's not as though they're losing out on massive TV revenue!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely agree, not exactly prominent but nice to see something on the BBC about what amounts to a fairly insignificant race halfway around the world.

I wasn't expecting anything whatsoever so I guess that's a step up...

I wonder if the general public agree with it's positioning behind women's rugby and Scottish football...

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
Haha, my original comment was meant to refer to the television news sports section (not sure if that was clear or not) but yes I see that an article on it has just about scraped on to the BBC Sport homepage on what I think can fairly be described as a "slow news" day. He slots in just behind Women's Rugby and some rubbish about Scottish Football politics!

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see more UK coverage of all forms of triathlon, but I don't think many would argue that it's waaaay down the list in public profile. My original point was that in terms of public profile, winning another Olympic Gold in 2020 would outweigh winning Kona by a huge margin.

Edited to add: and in fairness to the BBC and media in general, it's not really a major news piece; he beat a pretty weak field in a race that no one could really watch, halfway around the world. The point about the triple-crown series was interesting though, I wonder if we'll be seeing him in Bahrain too?

Here's a link to that article for anyone interested...

Alistair Brownlee: Olympic champion dominates at Dubai Ironman 70.3 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/...t/triathlon/42915410

If this was about any Brit tennis star doing well in some tennis event it would be at the top.

To be fair the BBC is the only media outlet in the UK that shows any interest in Triathlon and I get the feeling its only beacause its cheap to cover.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
Tokyo is officially a sprint, the ITU announced it.

Whilst AB may find gold harder to come by in that, Great Britain must be favourites for Gold in the mixed relay. I think that's his more likely source of gold #3
Gomez as well... minus the mixed team relay. Spain is opposite of the US... strong men field, less competitive me... but the US has managed to do well in that competition.

on thread topic will be interesting to see how AB does this go around. Injuries are the common theme with him but I enjoy watching him race. If he can remain uninjured he changes the 70.3 game a lot, very similar to what he did at the Oly distance.

Rewatched Yokohama 2015 yesterday and love that race with Gomez and AB surging, passing one another and then the sprint down the blue carpet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although the weekend is Fri-Sat here, it is more common to have Friday off of work as compared to Saturday. So a Friday is our quietest day on the roads, hence the Friday race.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm.

Worth noting that something is up with the timing/distance of the run in Dubai.

The official timing shows AB running at an average of 3:31 per km.

3:31 x 21.1 is 1:14:12 not a 1:09.

In fact the mid section timing splits have all of the top 8 runners splitting on between 2:43 and 2:45 per km. I do not think these lads were running just shy of Olympic 5000m qualifying pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impulse-Warp wrote:
Hmmm.

In fact the mid section timing splits have all of the top 8 runners splitting on between 2:43 and 2:45 per km. I do not think these lads were running just shy of Olympic 5000m qualifying pace.

Well a 0:22swim, 1:58bike, 0:04 T1 / T2 (assumption) says around a 1:11 run.

3h35 overall is fast either way, but it seems the run time may well be a bit odd.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
Impulse-Warp wrote:
Hmmm.

Well a 0:22swim, 1:58bike, 0:04 T1 / T2 (assumption) says around a 1:11 run.

3h35 overall is fast either way, but it seems the run time may well be a bit odd.

From a quick scan on Strava it does seem to be 300-400m short. So you're looking at something just under 1:11.

Didn't think after hip surgery he'd run as fast as 69, given how he's been after serious injury in the past. Still it would good enough to pump everyone else with the exception of Gomez.

I don't see Sanders getting anywhere near him if he's fit. They're in a different league I'm afraid.
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see Sanders getting anywhere near him if he's fit. They're in a different league I'm afraid. ///

I wouldn't read too much into his time at this particular race, the winning woman went 4 flat, so something is a little off for sure. In fact I would say her race was more impressive than Allistar's, that is a very good gap to have held to him on a 1/2 course.. Lionel would have been fine here too if he choose to race it, certainly would have caught him on the bike and made a race of it.

So is the million dollars on or not? From the front page article is seems as if it has not been announced yet?? Seems to me to be the only reason other than a large start fee that Ali is even doing this race..
Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where can I find everyone's splits for this race as a comparison rather than clicking on individual athletes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has already said he’s after the bucks!

Quote Reply
Re: Alistair Brownlee 70.3 Dubai [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you think Lionel would have done a 1:55 bike? No way that is happening, especially considering Alistair is a way better descender than Lionel and the second half was downhill.

Quote Reply

Prev Next