Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alex Yee just run 27:51!
Quote | Reply
Yee is only 20 years old an won the British 10'000m title last night. That is a serious time for an athlete of that age.

He is a triathlete. That kid is going to be amazing.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/...n-10000m-debut-97901

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
Yee is only 20 years old an won the British 10'000m title last night. That is a serious time for an athlete of that age.

He is a triathlete. That kid is going to be amazing.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/...n-10000m-debut-97901

He has a lot of work to do to make it as a triathlete. He is way off the front pack on the swim and his bike still needs a lot of work.

He is a brilliant runner and he had a horrible bike crash last year is a World Cup breaking both wrists and a punctured lung from broken ribs.

He is absolutely a potential star of the future but it isn’t assured.
Last edited by: Stumps: May 20, 18 3:00
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah he def has ways to go before he is a complete athlete, though he is a crazy talented runner. Read that he only runs like 70 mpw which is very low for a sub 28 guy.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both wrists? Where did you see or hear this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was watching it last night with interest.

Must be a serious temptation for Yee to focus purely on running.

Will be interesting to see what he does next
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Yeah he def has ways to go before he is a complete athlete, though he is a crazy talented runner. Read that he only runs like 70 mpw which is very low for a sub 28 guy.

A huge part of his aerobic work would be done through cross training with the swim and bike though. 70mpw is a LOT of miles for a young triathlete, just out of teens when his bike and swim hours would be a lit higher.
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [MrPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrPG wrote:
Both wrists? Where did you see or hear this?

Here’s one. Sounds awful...

http://toughasia.com/...lon-world-cup-italy/

Who was the British kid that did Super League Jersey?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, no mention of his wrists.

That was Ben Dijkstra
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [MrPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dijkstra - that’s right.

Yeah, my brief searching doesn’t show anything about the wrists.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he will improve on the bike with some more years and time in the saddle and then his run splits could also get faster.

But his body type certainly favours running. Good Triathlon bikers are usually bigger. But 20 years is no age in endurance sports.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was Aliaster doing 10k in at the same age?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes he has work to do, but I dont think it's the front pack you aim for with this athlete. You figure out what it takes to get to the tail end of the chase pact that for the *majority* of races bridges up to the front group. That's what you look for with an athlete of this speed. Once you make it there then you work towards the front pack.

Now of course EVERYONE wants to be a front pack swimmer, but reality is some just wont ever make it. Richard Murray has never made it as an front pack swimmer but has one hell of a itu career running the front pack down and/or pulling the gaps back so he can run them down. Same for mola.

So with his speed, it's less about making the front group and more about what the gap is to that front group for him to run down. That's the reality of what your looking at with this type of athlete at his age and development.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:

pretty sure nothing fast like this, at least not at timed/recorded events.
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Jackets wrote:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5157685

When Brownlee was ~25 he hit 28:30 at the Stanford Invite. He was in the slow heat and on the front for a pretty big chunk of the race, but I'm almost certain that I remember reading that he had done a build-up to see how fast he could go in a stand alone 10K. I'm just approximating, but I'd guess that means he could probably drop another 15-30 seconds in ideal conditions, which still leaves him 10 seconds slower than Yee (even though he had 5 more years of training in his legs).

Yee is fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
Jackets wrote:

When Brownlee was ~25 he hit 28:30 at the Stanford Invite. He was in the slow heat and on the front for a pretty big chunk of the race, but I'm almost certain that I remember reading that he had done a build-up to see how fast he could go in a stand alone 10K. I'm just approximating, but I'd guess that means he could probably drop another 15-30 seconds in ideal conditions, which still leaves him 10 seconds slower than Yee (even though he had 5 more years of training in his legs).

Yee is fast!

why do you think Brownlee could drop another 15-30 seconds, he reported he had added quite a lot of specific work for this race as he was at the time hoping to qualify for 10k comm games. He had done so much extra he ended up injured again soon after. I would be surprised if he could run much faster than he did that race, Yee is ridiculously fast for his age. He is doing a huge amount of running, probably similar miles to a pure runner of his age, but he also somehow fits in swim and bike at an itu level. This would give him more strength and extra aerobic training than his running competitors, but he would definitely be one busy young guy, no wonder he is built like a marathoner.
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing is this kid could become one of the best runners in the world.
Yet, he still continues to do some high level swim and bike training as well.
The cool thing is that riding and swimming also seem to very much support his running. I believe he runs more than many triathletes but the cool thing is to see that crosstraining can be benefitial.

In the running world there is always the mantra that you should only run. Ans this is fine when you log 120 miles. But when your body can't do that than you might get a big boost from additional stuff. Cycling can give you a lot of aerobic stimulus.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy is way too fast to be a triathlete haha. I think he should probably just switch to running. With his physique I see a future triathlon career with a lot of second to third pack world cup swims, and attempts to bike/run down the field that will end in failure more often than success. He is so small I just don't see him being able to generate high amounts of raw power for swim starts and bike breaks. Triathlon running is more often about strength than speed, even in ITU races. A hard 40k bike will zap the legs ability to run much faster than threshold. Even if he does run 29 minutes in a real 10k off the bike, if he is down more than 1:30 there are just too many males with 30-31 minute 10k speed who can bike and swim a lot better than him. I really hope he proves me wrong...
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thebigturtle wrote:
This guy is way too fast to be a triathlete haha. I think he should probably just switch to running. With his physique I see a future triathlon career with a lot of second to third pack world cup swims, and attempts to bike/run down the field that will end in failure more often than success. He is so small I just don't see him being able to generate high amounts of raw power for swim starts and bike breaks. Triathlon running is more often about strength than speed, even in ITU races. A hard 40k bike will zap the legs ability to run much faster than threshold. Even if he does run 29 minutes in a real 10k off the bike, if he is down more than 1:30 there are just too many males with 30-31 minute 10k speed who can bike and swim a lot better than him. I really hope he proves me wrong...

Mario Mola.....5'10 / 130 lbs.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yee apparently is 180 cm and 55 kg, that is 5 feet 10.5, 120 lbs. I do agree however, that Mola is a good example of pure running types having high levels of success in ITU sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Yee is fast!

why do you think Brownlee could drop another 15-30 seconds, he reported he had added quite a lot of specific work for this race as he was at the time hoping to qualify for 10k comm games. He had done so much extra he ended up injured again soon after. I would be surprised if he could run much faster than he did that race, Yee is ridiculously fast for his age. He is doing a huge amount of running, probably similar miles to a pure runner of his age, but he also somehow fits in swim and bike at an itu level. This would give him more strength and extra aerobic training than his running competitors, but he would definitely be one busy young guy, no wonder he is built like a marathoner.

I was thinking that 'ideal' conditions for him would involve: a) having a pack in front of him the whole way (~10-15 seconds); b) cooler weather (~5-10 seconds); and c) lower ratios of swim and bike training in the months leading up to it (~5-10 seconds... I had to look this up, but he'd won Abu Dhabi a little bit over a month before and he was back racing tris again shortly after). But even outside of those reasons, I remember seeing that race, and he never looked quite as "clean" as he looked in the Olympics the prior year, and I can't help but think that there was a pretty substantial difference between the run fitness he had when he got his gold and the run fitness he had when he did his 28:30. I definitely think he would've been faster on his best day, but I'm not sure how much faster. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if these weren't Yee's 'ideal' conditions either, so I'm definitely not saying he would be as fast as Yee in similar conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thebigturtle wrote:
Yee apparently is 180 cm and 55 kg, that is 5 feet 10.5, 120 lbs. I do agree however, that Mola is a good example of pure running types having high levels of success in ITU sport.

10lbs more on a small frame is a lot. Mola appears small but muscular, not skinny. Mola has had plenty of success, but he looks like a smaller triathlete, Yee looks like a marathon runner. He is on the start list for a couple world cups in the next month so we can see how he is going. We must remember world cups are 2nd tier races, not WTS so results have to be kept in perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stood next to him last week and he's a little taller than me and I’m 5’ 11.5”.
Having seen him race xc, track and tri for about the last 5/6 years I’d say he's having a lot of fun learning what he might be capable of whatever that may be. He’s a funny and smart young man with a supportive team and friends.
I’m sure he’ll work out what he wants to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say with the way itu races are going to shorter distances, I think it really is going to turn into pure speed dynamics. In that you can "fake" a 750m swim, and ride reasonable well for 20k. I'd also add that the majority of itu events are still "soft" bike courses in that most of the time T2 everyone is together.

Of course he's got to work on the swim, and for a runner of that ability, what is the motivation to do that? He's a good kid from the interactions I've had with him at races. It was very unfortunate to see and hear about his crash last year, very scary actually.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thebigturtle wrote:

Yeah. Funny, I just saw a finishline foto on instagram. The two other brits behind him look as tough they could be Triathletes. But the guy in Front, the skinny runners guy, is the only multisport athlete.

Maybe he becomes a male version of what Gwen did in Tri. However, I guess even after the Brownlees their will still be a lot of guys drilling the bike o harder courses.

Quote Reply
Re: Alex Yee just run 27:51! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Yes he has work to do, but I dont think it's the front pack you aim for with this athlete. You figure out what it takes to get to the tail end of the chase pact that for the *majority* of races bridges up to the front group. That's what you look for with an athlete of this speed. Once you make it there then you work towards the front pack.

Now of course EVERYONE wants to be a front pack swimmer, but reality is some just wont ever make it. Richard Murray has never made it as an front pack swimmer but has one hell of a itu career running the front pack down and/or pulling the gaps back so he can run them down. Same for mola.

So with his speed, it's less about making the front group and more about what the gap is to that front group for him to run down. That's the reality of what your looking at with this type of athlete at his age and development.

Hammer hits nail squarely.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply

Prev Next