Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if anyone else saw the article that was put out. I saw something about the webcast.

Here is the link to the article http://triathlon.competitor.com/...ironman-advice_24430

So if Lance can swim with the main pack of pros, we all know he could out bike them, question is by how much?? My guess is he has to put 10-15 minutes on them on the bike. Then run a 2:50 marathon, sounds like he would be in the mix.

Question is training to run a 2:50 marathon at Kona off the bike and actually doing it are two different things. Chris Lieto has been trying to figure it out the last several years with no luck.

I found this interesting from the article :

“I was talking to a triathlon coach today and he said, ‘No way. He(LA) ran 2:46. You know how hard he trained to do that?’ I told him, ‘You have no idea how little he trained to do that.’ He was running like 20 miles a week. I mean, it was a joke. Lance told me, ‘You know we said my longest run was like 16, but it was actually closer to 10.’”

I am starting to think regardless of the investigation into doping allegations, he is going to race an Ironman and he is going to do it soon.

Flame away!
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [cam2win] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the camp of "he's done. NO more bike racing, no tri's".

Base don this article however, I'd say that may have been a bit pre-mature. But as I have noted before - time will tell.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [cam2win] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes the time you train to run and the time you actually run are quite different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's like taking his 36:00 10K down to 32:30. Could be tough.

Also, it seems he struggles constantly with running injuries. I think that's the biggest challenge--keeping him running consistently.
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [c.dan.jog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't read Lance's tweets, or the 200 articles a day about him, so can someone answer if is he going into the race as a pro or amateur?
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [c.dan.jog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hell thats everyones problem with running.
the people who DONT have that problem, and have big engines

well they end up famous =)

c.dan.jog wrote:
That's like taking his 36:00 10K down to 32:30. Could be tough.

Also, it seems he struggles constantly with running injuries. I think that's the biggest challenge--keeping him running consistently.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point I don't think anyone knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can he pass the drug screening as a pro... That would be the big question
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:

Leave Lance alone! WAAAAH!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
id say no. if he can do that time, great, but its easier said than done. i think on the last 1/2 of the marathon he'll realize how hard getting that time will be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it funny that people actually think he will outbike the likes of Lieto and crew. Lance is a great pack rider (read: Roadie) and can give a solid effort for an hour in an individual TT.

112 miles of TTing...that's a whole different issue.

Owner/Head Coach for Endurance Concepts
http://www.EnduranceConcepts.com
Sponsored by: Cadence Bikes & Multisport & Brooks
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [MikayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikayP wrote:
id say no. if he can do that time, great, but its easier said than done. i think on the last 1/2 of the marathon he'll realize how hard getting that time will be

All he really has to do* is put the fear into the competition.

If they really believe he can run a 2:50 after riding ~10 minutes off the front, they're going to have a hell of a time trying to limit the damage on the bike without cooking themselves. But, I guess there is the legal drafting...

*well, then he still has to actually finish the race with a decent run.

Erik
Strava
Last edited by: mcdoublee: Mar 23, 11 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:

If he can pass testing as a cyclist, he shouldn't have too much trouble with the practicly non-existent tri tests. Good question though. Is he even in the pool to get tested?

Regarding his potential race results. IF he makes it to the starting line, I think he will suprise people. Having his body hold up for 1/2 the run training the rest of the pros are doing is a big ask though.
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed, coming out of pro cycling i wouldn't be losing sleep about the testing protocols in ironman racing.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sdmike wrote:
Maui5150 wrote:

If he can pass testing as a cyclist, he shouldn't have too much trouble with the practicly non-existent tri tests. Good question though. Is he even in the pool to get tested?

Regarding his potential race results. IF he makes it to the starting line, I think he will suprise people. Having his body hold up for 1/2 the run training the rest of the pros are doing is a big ask though.

Do long course pros regularly run >60 or 70 miles a week?

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you think he is a doper, he can probably pass the test since he did it for how many years as a pro cyclist.......
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [marvarnett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marvarnett wrote:
I find it funny that people actually think he will outbike the likes of Lieto and crew. Lance is a great pack rider (read: Roadie) and can give a solid effort for an hour in an individual TT.

A) Who is the "crew" in Lieto and crew?
B) The only way Lance wouldn't have the fastest bike split in any triathlon is if he doesn't want to have the fastest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear what you are saying, but I think they are moving ships in the night... I think sports in general have been always behind in testing versus doping, and whether perception is reality, I am fairly certain that in almost ALL SPORTS, there has been more PEDs than let on and that some stars were at the right place at right time to have a blind eye turned.

I think as well, that the testing is getting stricter for the pros and someone like Lance would draw a lot of interest given the focus on him and the coincidental retiring right as accusations seemed to rise, especially after Landis.

Just saying, I think someone like Lance would draw attention, and not necessarily in a good way. While Lance may draw a lot of eyes to this sport that may not normally watch it, he would also be an easy example to make compared to another pro who had years of results under their belt that would then come into question. i.e. it is easier to test and throw Lance under the bus and take less damage, then to do the same with a well know Ironman finisher.

It is always easier to make an example of someone when you have less of an investment in them.
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [marvarnett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has got to be a joke right???

The guy won 7 Tour de France titles and you don't think he can't out ride Lieto???

Great pack rider???? can give a solid effort for a 1 hour TT???

By chance did you see how any of the Pro Triathletes did at the TT in the Tour of California last year that they got to participate in? If not maybe you should go check those results, after all they were all Iron distance triathletes and it was only a TT bike race.
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, even at his "advanced" age he could probably put out about a 4 hour effort on the bike. Maybe 4:10, max. Then run 3:30! I don't see him running much under 3:30 after 112 miles of biking. You need years of running training to go sub-3:00, and then there is his "advanced" age. ;)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you bring up a very good point.

The Pro's will have to try and stay with Lance or minimize the time gap he puts on them, but he and they also need to be able to run off the bike.

I guess as a Pro you just have to race your race and not worry to much about what the others are doing???

While Lance is tough as nails, does anyone know how he might perform in the heat???
Quote Reply
Re: Alberto Salazar coaching Armstrong to run a 2:50-2:55 Ironman [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
B) The only way Lance wouldn't have the fastest bike split in any triathlon is if he doesn't want to have the fastest.

Whether youre a fan of lances or not, I think this is the truest statement ever made about him in terms of triathlon performance. Think about it; He's been off the front in many stages in his career, some of which will have been far more climbing, in more difficult stages than Hawaii. I think frankly, any of the top stage race cyclists, assuming they can survive the swim anywhere near mid-pack with the pros could throw up a giant time on the bike. Their engines are built for those huge rides.

The question with Lance, if he's going for the win, how much of a lead off the bike would he have to have to keep the lead at the end of the run? If he only had to go 90% on the bike to build a 10 minute bike split lead, thats gonna spell trouble for the others in the field that day.

And Im guessing he absolutely rides as a pro. Why do it as an age grouper if youre going for the overall win?

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance always performed well in the heat at the TdF. The one glaring exception was 2003 when he became severely dehydrated in the first ITT and lost something like 1:20 to Ullrich. Took him a few days to recover from that and his performance was touch and go for a few days as guys like Vino attacked relentlessly.

Other than that, I don't think the heat has ever presented an obstacle to him.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Head Coach for Endurance Concepts
Sponsored by: All3Sports, Brooks & Wicked Fast Nutrition

---------------------------------------------------------------

Oh geez.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
c.dan.jog wrote:

Head Coach for Endurance Concepts
Sponsored by: All3Sports, Brooks & Wicked Fast Nutrition

---------------------------------------------------------------

Oh geez.

No, it's really not.

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next