Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Airline Reservations
Quote | Reply
I have two races coming up in the next few months and was wondering if anyone could offer advice pertaining to airline reservations. I live in the Raleigh / Durham area of North Carolina, and I'm doing the St. Croix Half in May, and Escape from Alcatraz in June.

1. Any thoughts regarding which airline is the least likely to cancel flights, (or go "Belly Up" for that matter) given everything that is going on?

2. Recommendations regarding the use of a Travel Agent vs. Travelocity, Obitz, etc...

Thanks for any input,

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Airline Reservations [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your flying out of my old stomping grounds. You only have 2 or 3 major carrier options. From RDU you can use American maybe Delta. Go to charlotte and USAir becomes another option. I know that American and USair have major Caribbean operations. Not to sure about Delta.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Airline Reservations [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If all you are doing is buying airline tickets, you will be looking at the same info on Orbitz as the travel agent. You could probably save a few bucks avoiding them. If you don't fly a lot, however, and wouldn't be comfortable dealing with the chaos of a cancelled flight or similar mishap yourself, the few bucks they charge is cheap insurance.

One other thought. Yahoo travel (and others I'm sure) will let you put in a destination with no date or time and search for the cheapest flight. These fares can be a lot lower than Orbitz. Once you see the fare you can check available dates and times and often get the exact flights you wanted in the first place. They make it sound like you have to be able to go at the drop of a hat but you actually have a pretty wide choice available. These prices change frequently so check them every few days.

I had to have specific flight times, etc. to take the family to Orlando last spring. By watching Yahoo for about a month I was able to get 5 tickets for $90 each. During that time, the lowest fare was as high as $198 some days.
Quote Reply
USAT travel desk [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't suspet that they have good rates; but they say they can get free bike shipment with the flights if booked through them.

This alone is worth a call.

at $80 each way the cost of the biek shipping is quite high.

It might not be an issue going to st. croix.
Quote Reply