Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Air Canada bike rules - WTF
Quote | Reply
Anyone flown with a soft shell case recently and had it refused?
I recall people saying Hawaiian airlines had this same policy.

"The bicycle must be placed - with handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed - in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping or in a bicycle suitcase (in the case of collapsible bicycles). "

I fly exclusively Alaska (to USA), Westjet (Canada/USA) and KLM (Europe) with my EVOC bag, so this doesn't really affect me.
Looks like I have to cross Air Canada off the list of possible carriers.
Quote Reply
Re: Air Canada bike rules - WTF [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be willing to bet the hard case rule will be the de facto rule for all airlines in the not so distant future. Hate to break it to you soft case fools users. ;-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Air Canada bike rules - WTF [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I'd be willing to bet the hard case rule will be the de facto rule for all airlines in the not so distant future. Hate to break it to you soft case fools users. ;-)

Fun fact: My bikes were damaged several times when flying with a hard case. Not a scratch since I moved to an EVOC, probably close to 100 flights.

So who's the fool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I flew with them to Oceanside a few weeks ago and there wasn't an issue with my Scicon bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Air Canada bike rules - WTF [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I really hope NOT! Such a chore to reach a race and have to build the bike from scratch!
Quote Reply
Re: Air Canada bike rules - WTF [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loss prevention probably assessed the number of damage claims with soft and hard cases. Likely why they
just don’t allow it as a matter of policy now.

asianzone wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I really hope NOT! Such a chore to reach a race and have to build the bike from scratch!
Quote Reply
Re: Air Canada bike rules - WTF [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Loss prevention probably assessed the number of damage claims with soft and hard cases. Likely why they
just don’t allow it as a matter of policy now.

asianzone wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Most airlines or at least the ones i fly with make you sign a waiver that says that airlines take no responsibility for any damage to the bike
Also the max any airline is obliged to pay for any damage is 1400 be it lost of suitcase, damages etc. Its not like they have to pay out 20K for a P5 and Zipp Disc wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hawaiian recently rescinded their soft case policy (I believe earlier this month). AFAIK, nobody at the terminals were actually enforcing the no soft case policy nor did they even know it existed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fly with them all the time and never had an issue. However, I moved to a hard shell Bike Box Allen last fall, so haven't flown with the soft shell since August. I do have elite status though, so they may be letting it go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I flew with Air Canada, Toronto to San Diego a couple of weeks ago for Oceanside with a Scion case and had no problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problems with soft case on AC. Looks like the title of this thread is debunked.

DM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, think this also has to do with it being easier for TSA to inspect. Hawaiian did this last year for Kona. Bummed as like the EVOC but agree think this is the trend because of claims.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flown Air Canada with a soft case multiple times without issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Air Canada bike rules - WTF [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djmercer wrote:
No problems with soft case on AC. Looks like the title of this thread is debunked.

DM

The title of this thread is "Air Canada bike rules - WTF ".
Nothing has been debunked. Their official policy is on their website and remains there.
However, it doesn't seem to be enforced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So maybe it should be titled, "Air Canada bike rules - Not enforced" rather than the inflammatory WTF, no? I spend 60% of my month travelling both in the airline industry and as a military contractor, and get kind of tired of the CBC inspired AC bashing that goes on in Canada to be honest, because what I see day in and day out it's just not true. Sure they have their less than glorious moments, but I've flown on WJ enough to see their not immune from stuff that happens in a dynamic environment either, especially when things go off the rails. IMO, AC's way better overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djmercer wrote:
So maybe it should be titled, "Air Canada bike rules - Not enforced" rather than the inflammatory WTF, no? I spend 60% of my month travelling both in the airline industry and as a military contractor, and get kind of tired of the CBC inspired AC bashing that goes on in Canada to be honest, because what I see day in and day out it's just not true. Sure they have their less than glorious moments, but I've flown on WJ enough to see their not immune from stuff that happens in a dynamic environment either, especially when things go off the rails. IMO, AC's way better overall.

No. Because if they start enforcing hard shell cases it IS WTF.

I rarely watch or read CBC... so your assumption there is wrong. So perhaps your bias here towards CBC here is the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have frequently flown my bike in a Scicon soft case to Europe on Air Canada, most recently last month. I have never had any issues.I

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Fun fact: My bikes were damaged several times when flying with a hard case. Not a scratch since I moved to an EVOC, probably close to 100 flights.

So who's the fool?

I had 10 years in a row Star Alliance Gold/Air Canada Super Elite flying 50-150K per year and I would say a third of my flight legs were on Air Canada with my tri or travel bike in a soft case.

I HAVE NEVER EVERY HAD A SINGLE PIECE OF DAMAGE FLYING WITH SOFT CASES FOR 30+ YEARS ALL OVER THE WORLD...probably something like 500 flight legs with bike.

I am not sure who the fools are, but I've flown with my set up across decades, across airlines, across countries from Asia, to Africa, to Europe to North America with all type of bikes, never a single damaged item.

I have never flown with a hard shell case...only soft case, cardboard box of nothing at all....just rode my bike up to the terminal, took off pedals, deflated tires, turned handlebars sideways, got my boarding pass in cycling clothes, went to washroom, switched to jeans and running shoes, go through security, get on flight, arrive at other end change back to bike clothes in washroom, get bike at bike from oversized zone, walk it up to the curb, install pedals, turn handlebars, pump up tires and ride away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't fly as much as you, but a modest amount - 1 - 2x per month is typical for me. The last 3 months as been a bit crazy - thru Toronto Pearson 8X. Mostly with Air Canada. I know that dumping on them is almost a religion in Canada, but on-the-whole, I would rank AC highly among North American airlines. Sure there are problems and challenges, and I've experienced a few each year, but by and large they are understandable.

I think a big part of the issue is that when many people are flying they have this super elevated sense of self-importance - so that if ANYTHING goes wrong, in their minds it's a complete catastrophe!

As for traveling with a bike - FWIW on several AC recent trips, we have had a Biknd Helium bag and an Aerus Biospeed bag - both are soft bags, and we have had no issues. AC is pretty consistent with their fees - $50 for the bike and then $25 if that is your checked bag, so $75 in total, which in my view is reasonable. They sometimes waive one or the other of the fees.

I've made 4 - 5 trips a year with the Aerus bag and never had any problems. I have done some extra reinforcement work inside the bag. I'm considering buying a second Biknd Helium to replace the Aerus bag sometime this year.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Air Canada bike rules - WTF [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All these posts about frequent AC fliers with bikes show that although the policy exists on their website it may be just a CYA legal thing.

Even if not enforced at the gate it causes uncertainty for travellers, and may actually cost AC business from cyclists who chose another airline as they think their bag will get rejected.

I have no specific problem with AC, but living in the west, I have few reasons to fly with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I flew AC this week with my soft case, no issue. It probably comes down the agent.
Quote Reply