Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aging with a 57.26 at 400m at 71 - Charles Allie - NYT
Quote | Reply
He's been competing since HS.

https://www.nytimes.com/...fastest-old-man.html

"Allie’s workouts are not long or complicated. He runs a slow mile to warm up. Then there are a series of 50-yard drills. Raising the knees high during one, making sure to whack his backside with his heel on every step during another. After that he takes a seat on the infield turf and laces up his track spikes. They are black Nikes, top of the line. It’s the thing he splurges on.

“I like a shoe that makes me feel fast,” he said.

The spikes, which weigh just a few ounces, are for his sprint intervals. He will perform a series of intervals that are a little longer than his races. Preparing for a 400-meter race, he will repeat 500- or 600-meter intervals. For the 200, the distance is 250 or 300 meters. Since he is focused on the 100, he decided on a recent morning to do 150-meter sprints."

Admiration for him and glad he didn't quit doing what he likes to do. Hopefully we can continue to do what we like to do.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging with a 57.26 at 400m at 71 - Charles Allie - NYT [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, this is cool! Thanks for posting this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow.... Look at the muscle tone in those legs. I've never seen a 70 year old like that, which is understandable since no 70 year old has ever run as fast as him.

57 for the 400 is nutso. Hard to wrap my mind around it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great story, and in the world of balancing the scales, a stark opposite of the recent 71 year old runner that garnered so much attention here in a negative way..Hope he gets that 100 record too, a rare triple that the pros never got..

But that has got to be dancing on the fine line of injury for a guy that old, doing that much explosive spadework and racing. I kind of get Gene Dykes longevity, he is running more normally, just for longer periods of times. But I think we can all relate to doing speed work and the injuries they led to, and he has continued for 25 years longer than most could fathom...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very motivating story. Thank you for posting.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging with a 57.26 at 400m at 71 - Charles Allie - NYT [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
What a great story, and in the world of balancing the scales, a stark opposite of the recent 71 year old runner that garnered so much attention here in a negative way..Hope he gets that 100 record too, a rare triple that the pros never got..

But that has got to be dancing on the fine line of injury for a guy that old, doing that much explosive spadework and racing. I kind of get Gene Dykes longevity, he is running more normally, just for longer periods of times. But I think we can all relate to doing speed work and the injuries they led to, and he has continued for 25 years longer than most could fathom...

Charlie posts over on the 50+ thread on Letsrun. Gives a break down of his weekly workouts, answers any questions, talks about injuries, etc. Very open and approachable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy hell!! This old doode is FAAAAAAST.

My lifetime PB in the 400 was 57 seconds, but I was 17, not 70.

I still remember a few years ago when Dev 'challenged' everybody to run one :70 second 400m,
so that they could then think about how the fastest marathoners go and do that same pace for 105 400's in a row.
I went to the track, warmed up thoroughly, and then pinned it - managed a :66 - and then basically collapsed into the fetal position afterwards.

Meanwhile, Charles would have been crossing the line, as I was just rounding the final curve.
Incredible.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Aging with a 57.26 at 400m at 71 - Charles Allie - NYT [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My lifetime PB in the 400 was 57 seconds, but I was 17, not 70. //

This could have been a real nice back door brag, if you hadn't been geezered so badly... (-; I think I may have just come up with a new slogan!! So now what do we call getting beat by a chick who is also older than you!
Quote Reply
Re: Aging with a 57.26 at 400m at 71 - Charles Allie - NYT [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

This could have been a real nice back door brag, if you hadn't been geezered so badly... (-; I think I may have just come up with a new slogan!! So now what do we call getting beat by a chick who is also older than you!

I've been chicked, and I've been geezered, but I've never been...

Cougared? Croned? Hagged? Damed? Flappered? Golden Girled?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Aging with a 57.26 at 400m at 71 - Charles Allie - NYT [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
monty wrote:

I've been chicked, and I've been geezered, but I've never been...

Cougared? Croned? Hagged? Damed? Flappered? Golden Girled?

Just spit out my beer. "Golden Girled" FTW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is some fast running. I've had friends beaten by older female club mates. Those women are awesome and have 14 hour ironman races into their late 60s. Plus two raam races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

That's what I was thinking too. Yet, do we change things when things are going well? Sometimes more rest makes me want to go with a little more umph or makes me rusty and then I get hurt.

If adaption increases when we are young, then continuing/maintaining what we are doing might be a good way to gradually decrease as we age.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recent funny with my 73 year old wife (10 Kona's). On a local road (training for Nice 70.3 W.C.) she smoked past three middle aged guys on road bikes. They caught up as she was loading her bike in the car and one of them pulled up and said, "Is that bike electric?" She said "Yes, it's a Shimano Di2. You just push the buttons and it shifts the gears electrically". It never occurred to her that they were asking if her bike was electric powered.
"No, does it have a motor?" "Oh no. Just me." "Oh."
End of conversation.
P.S. She likes "Golden Girled"
Last edited by: trimule: Jul 15, 19 11:39
Quote Reply