Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Age when completeing first Ironman or Tinman?
Quote | Reply
How old were you(if you have done one or the other) when you finished your first Ironman or Tinman? Is it reasonable for me to try to finish a Tinman next summer at the age of 19? Could this hurt me at all in my future, and would I be able to prepare correctly taking into account the time constraints of a college spring track particpance?

I'm a runner pretending to be a Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Age when completeing first Ironman or Tinman? [Farrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sup dude? Well I just did Iroman CDA and I'm 18, so why couldn't you? I had your same question and from most people I talked to it wasn't going to have any long term affects. Your short course speed will definately suffer from the lack thereof. The reason I choose to do an Ironman so early is for the fun of it, and because I'm going on a 2 year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I figured I should do something big before I leave on my mission which is when I turn 19. Ironman is worth it. And there's always the shot at Hawaii. Ironaman CDA turned out to be very doable and I was able to qualify for Hawaii. I got lucky! Make sure you build up your running volume slowly allowing for your bones to strengthen. Good luck Bro.!

Cody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People will do what they want/choose to do. However, If someone was asking me, I would say don't bother with an IM until age 24 - 25, if performance and long term development is important to you. Stick to the shorter races and really build technique and specific sport strength and speed before jumping up to the longer stuff.

For the record, I was 28 when I did my first Ironman and had 5 years of elite level running and almost 10 years of triathlon training/racing before doing that first Ironman race at IMH in 1989.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patience grasshopper... you have so - so much time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 19. Going to do IMC this summer on 5 weeks of training.
Hell...it wont be pretty, and im not exactly the body build of a triathlete (football/track body) but im going to do it, and going to enjoy doing it.
Doing it young just means that you have a lot less things to do later in life (ie, life's to do list)

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with all of the above...except Kevin. Most injuries I've heard of from IM'ers came before the race from overtraining. However, I would not recomend "training" for only 5 weeks. Kevin may be in excelent shape from years of participating in other sports so I wish him well on that account.

I think the real question of timing your IM attempt(s) has more to do with what you want to get out of it. In my personal oppinion the earlier you begin training and racing the farther your carreer will go. While most of the top IM competators in the world are late 20's early 30's they have all been doing races for 10+ years. For you to start at 19 is no problem and in fact will set you on their same path. For me, I didn't do my first race of any kind until I was 31. I did my first IM (Brazil) when I was 32. Life is just too short.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Fleck puts it the best way. There is no need to rush into it. Go ahead and do the race and have fun with it, but I think it makes sense to learn the fundamentals, the sport, train at all types of intensity and develop your aerobic capacity and then do the shorter races before you go to IM level when you're older. It also makes sense to use those fast-twitch fibers while you have them in your youth. Besides, those shorter races are more of a challenge athletically. IM seems like 50% race day nutrition and 50% putting all other things in your life off to train and build up a HUGE aerobic capacity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first Ironman, will be this Oct. 11, 2003, the Duke Blue Devil, in NC. I am 30. This is also my first triathlon as well.

Go Big Red
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Set yout goal,work to achieve it,accomplish your goal. This is what you need to follow the rest of your life. If IM is in this picture "Great"
Quote Reply