Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Age vs. surgery for labrum tear?
Quote | Reply
I'm putting this question out there on behalf of my mother, who has remained pretty active with running and cycling into her 50s. She is now 59 and her doctor recently told her that she is too old to have surgery for a torn labrum when she brought it up. He said that because of age, she would be more of a candidate for hip replacement. So far he has administered three cortisone shots over the last 2 years. I've glanced through the Slowtwitch threads about recovery for labrum tears and it seems that most people were successful by ultimately having surgery, with a few (more the exception than the rule) who were able to combine a period of recovery and strengthening without doing the surgery to experience full recovery. My mother and I both favor surgery at this time if it's possible or realistic. Wondering if anyone might weigh in on this question of age affecting a doctor's recommendation of the surgery? Your wisdom is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Age vs. surgery for labrum tear? [beastneb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find a better doctor. I know a guy who had both hips done during the same surgical session. FAI surgery, bones smoothed out, cartilage repaired, and lamb rums re-secured.
Google FAI surgery and find the best doc within your area. Don't try to save $ on this one-
If she needs less done- A doc who is good at FAI surgery can likely fix her labrum.
Quote Reply
Re: Age vs. surgery for labrum tear? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
Find a better doctor. I know a guy who had both hips done during the same surgical session. FAI surgery, bones smoothed out, cartilage repaired, and lamb rums re-secured.
Google FAI surgery and find the best doc within your area. Don't try to save $ on this one-
If she needs less done- A doc who is good at FAI surgery can likely fix her labrum.

This.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have torn labrums in both hips. Initially I had a shot and it helped temporarily mask the pain but did nothing more than that. It took me YEARS of consistently doing strength and mobility work to get rid of the pain. I didn't ever have to take a lot of time away from running but I did have to reduce my mileage by about 80% when I started back running after a some weeks off. I've had surgery (for running injury) and wouldn't recommend or suggest it to anyone unless you've exhausted all other options within reason.

I'm not a Dr but a a hip replacement surgery for a torn labrum seems a little aggressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some good advice above, I think.

Just to add - if you wanted to ask me anything I am currently 3 weeks and 2 days into rehab after surgery for FAI and a torn labrum. I had cam impingement repair and 4 sutures/anchos put in for the labrum. Apparently some acetabular articular cartilage damage too, although I'm not sure what my ortho did about this until I ask him next week in the follow-up. I am in the UK with NHS support but I went private (medical insurance through my employer) and intentionally sought out the best guy in the area for this type of procedure, even before I had the imaging done. I had a strong hunch that it was going to be this. The diagnosis was confirmed with MRI.

I'm 44 and hadn't been able to run for almost a year. Being a fit and active triathlete with unfulfilled ambitions in the sport, and kids that I want to be able to run around with, it was a very easy decision to get it sorted surgically. My case was never going to resolve with therapy, it was a pretty significant tear.

The ortho did explain that the likelihood of making a full recovery back to running is statistically higher with younger patients, but based on the above he still felt I was a very good candidate for surgical repair. Having lived through the procedure I didn't find it especially traumatic, it was done without general anaesthetic in my case - just a spinal block and some pretty awesome sedatives that sent me gently into la la land. I haven't been much use about the house the first 2 weeks and spent most of it with my legs up or doing gentle physio stuff. I couldn't fathom putting this off in favour of hip replacement, unless there is some arthritis.

Hope you get sorted.

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm bumping this thread because the doctor found that my mother has arthritis in her hip and said that surgery for her torn labrum wouldn't make sense, which is very disappointing but it is what it is I guess. In that case, for people who have gone the route of strengthening to deal with a torn labrum, what would be the best set of exercises to do for strengthening purposes? I can think of clam shells, adduction, and abduction, having perused some of the previous posts on the forum, but what others? Also, I'm genuinely curious whether more of a cycling-based program with limited run frequency would be better for my mother, who participates in duathlon in the 60-64 age group. Many thanks for all of your insights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my right hip replaced the end of June last year and am back to running, biking and swimming. I am a 65 year old triathlete and plan to compete for years to come so I can be active with my growing grandkids. Have your mom check out the hiprunner website to read multiple stories of hip repair/replacement success and to ask advice.
Quote Reply