Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aftermarket bar on Felt IA3?
Quote | Reply
I broke my basebar on my IA3 in a crash at 70.3 world's. Is this an opportunity to upgrade or are the benefits negligible? I'm happy with my fit on the old bar but might like a little bit of tilt which I cannot get with the Felt bar. The cable routing on the old bar also often ends up damaging the cables between the stem and the frame so if that can be improved...

I have DA mechanical.

Choices I've looked at:

51 Speedshop: nice cable routing, great range of fit and adjustment. Apparently have to shave down the bento box which will look terrible (and mine is the older rubber-like box) and maybe put some holes in it.

Tri-rig alpha one: great adjustability and easily change height (but is that really true with mechanical shifting?). I don't know if the mono-riser will interfere with the brake fairing underneath the bar, but even if it doesn't, I don't like it sticking out down there.

Tri-rig alpha x: also fast bar with great fit and adjustability. Should fit the IA well. Not as easy to play with pad height . I don't like that mechanical shifter cable routing comes out of the aero bar in front of the risers. I think this is the leading candidate, IF I decide to switch at all.

All of the options will require some modification to the brake fairings.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Aftermarket bar on Felt IA3? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an Alpha X on my IA16 and love it. I started with mechanical, but now I am Di2. I cannot praise this bar enough. I am not sure what you mean by "I don't like that mechanical shifter cable routing comes out of the aero bar in front of the risers." My mechanical cables exited the back end of the extensions like most I have seen.

If you do the change to a bar with an integrated stem, Felt makes a cap plate that matches the shape of the head tube and improves the look a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Aftermarket bar on Felt IA3? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what I mean about the cable routing. Do you have a picture of how you did yours?

Where do I find that cap plate? Does it replace or go under a dust cover? It's not on Felt's TT Handlebar parts page.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
If you do the change to a bar with an integrated stem, Felt makes a cap plate that matches the shape of the head tube and improves the look a lot.

What cap plate is that? Do you got a link?

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, I forgot about those front holes. I would definitely ignore those. I don’t know what TR was thinking. I will send pictures of the Felt cap plate and a link as soon as I get back to my bike. (It is still in the travel bag from WC.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a picture of mine and a link where others have purchased the trim cap. I got my local LBS to order mine. https://www.tritownboise.com/...raditional-stem.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thanks.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Here's a picture of mine and a link where others have purchased the trim cap. I got my local LBS to order mine. https://www.tritownboise.com/...raditional-stem.html

That is a IAxx model? Not a IAx model correct ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The alpha x is nice, but i always felt the stem did not match with the visual flow into the ia bento box. The tririg stem needed to be chunkier to fill it out.

I also would be interested in this felt cap plate as i was unaware.

I think the photos i have seen of the tririg alpha one bar look spot on with the ia. The stem size is much more appropriate.

My 2020 ia advanced has the dagger stem and bayonet 3 bars which are super adjustable. I watch this thread with interest however, as i do like to tweak. But i am more looking for carbon basebars... “because carbon,” and maybe aero bar shapes that match my position.

I know a guy that does custom automotive carbon work, so i might even see if he can do a custom moulded armrest similar to what is on trend with the top pros right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Aftermarket bar on Felt IA3? [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
[That is a IAxx model? Not a IAx model correct ?
Yes, this is in an IA16.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The IAx models have a cover that needs to be attached to something, normally it is the stem with 2 bolts

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to glue the two pieces of the fairing together and just use the lower two screws. Best to use a low profile dust cap and shave off the upper tabs for the screws.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, I forgot about that. I have seen posts where people adapted the IAx brake cover to other stems, but I cannot remember what folks have done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for reference, here is the dagger stem on the 2020 disc models. I am not sure how this compares to the integrated front of the ia, but i assume it is similar as i think the stem is compatible.

For this bike, behind the cover is a dead-space for the hydraulic brake hose, and the blip box/di2 box. Any kind of new stem would require an anchoring solution for the cover... and would likely not be pretty. So i think the best options are ones that involve bars with typical attachment areas on the basebar.

Imho, The rim brake ia models remain the choice option for those wishing to have the most options to upgrade. That being said, the bayonet 3.1 system is pretty awesome, and aside from weight or different pads/extensions, i can’t see much need to upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Aftermarket bar on Felt IA3? [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found these photos for my own interest. It would seem that the dagger stem on my 2020 disc bike is similar to early 2013 option, cover attachment and all.

Quote Reply
Re: Aftermarket bar on Felt IA3? [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be great.

Quote Reply