Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What ever happened to the aero sensor that Argon was developing?? I assume it never came to market?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
What ever happened to the aero sensor that Argon was developing?? I assume it never came to market?

became the Notio.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

became the Notio.

Thx, so guess it has never become available. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Morelock wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

became the Notio.

Currently in beta
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Morelock wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

became the Notio.

Currently in beta

I remember the alpha fondly ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Notio, Garmin/Alphamantis, this one...all real and on their way. All from Canadians...hmmm.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [AeroTech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be very interested in beta testing for you guys. I've got a ton of wind tunnel testing time, some velodrome testing time as well as testing myself
both in the velodrome and wind tunnel. Have both bike only & bike + rider data.

I know how many watts of drag I've dropped and the # of watts sacrificed. Now I'm starting the process of adding watts back while keeping any increase in drag < watts gained.

Filling out the form now!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s not exclusively a Canadian thing :)

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
marcag wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Morelock wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

became the Notio.

Currently in beta

I remember the alpha fondly ;)

We had to downgrade our testers :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [tgoguely] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgoguely wrote:
AeroTech wrote:
mooremikey1 wrote:
I wouldn't mind a beta as well count me in.

You are in! Just complete the survey/application form from our website (link is at the bottom): https://www.aerolab.tech/consumers

Hi Chris,

I'm also very interested in helping you guys Beta test this, filled out the form.

With regards to your earlier questions of how/where to display the data post-ride, an app is great (vs GC on a desktop) so that you can get faster results in the field of what works and doesn't, allowing for faster iteration. Ideally if the main cycling computer collecting all the data can use the "lap" separation to enable the CdA calculation for the specific sections where a given item/aspect was trialed, that would probably be easiest/fastest.

The concept of an "avatar" or toolkit of sorts that can derived from numerous rides that test various aspects is very interesting, although not sure how best to be implemented. A drop-down choice of avatar component "tags" for each ride, so that as you A/B test you can assign a CdA benefit value for said tag? I don't have enough expertise in this field to say whether even if proceeding down that route the accumulated data would be correct, or if there is some amount of interference between various components that would affect their overall benefit or not.

For the avatar, measurements should be considered for the bicycle-rider system; there may be interference effects. For example, an aerohelmet may not always drop your CdA depending on the geometry of your positioning on the bike. So if you were to allot changes in CdA to specific equipment, it would be relative to some baseline CdA for the same 'position' on the bike. Like 'TT with skinsuit' vs 'TT with blah' vs 'TT with shoe covers'.

Chris Morton, PhD
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
co-Founder and inventor of AeroLab Tech
For updates see Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
lanierb wrote:
I do a lot of field testing -- pretty much every week -- and I'd love to be in as well. I can get you tons of data. I filled out the form.

As for what I'd like to see on the tech side, I'd rather *not* use Golden Cheetah aerolab. GC aerolab is clunky for doing multiple tests and also for tests involving two separate runs that you want to splice together (one each direction on the same road). It's hard to remove chunks you don't want (the turnaround), and you have to manually do each run. If you do 5 runs you have to manually do it 5 times, and if the 5 runs are out and backs with a turnaround you have to chop out the turnaround 5 times! I'd rather a piece of software that displayed every lap in your fit file and computed CdA for each lap, and then allowed you to combine laps as you please. If that doesn't make sense I can try to explain better. That would be really slick.

If you use a "U-shaped" course, or "half-pipe" profile, you shouldn't need to brake at the turnarounds (since the uphill slows you to a crawl), so no removal necessary. Here's what that type of run ends up looking like (this is my own personal spreadsheet I put together before Aerolab was available...basically the same thing):

Of course, re-looking at your description above...I'm unclear how you're using Aerolab in the first place for the type of testing you describe, since it's intended to evaluate multiple continuous "laps"...

Hi Tom- Yeah the thing is not everyone has a good half pipe course. When you don't, out and back courses with a turn around work great if you can remove the turn around. What I do right now is I hit the lap button for each direction of the out and back test, then remove the turnaround lap -- so laps 1 and 3 are the ones I want and then lap 2 has braking and the turnaround and gets removed. I wrote my own java code that reads in the fit file and then does this automatically for you because I got tired of doing it in GC/Aerolab. Actually the code does even more than that because I can have it automatically control for temperature variation and stuff like that across laps, and it can combine many runs or do them separately or whatever. Since I do a lot of testing it really helps, and I can get the answers quickly in the field if I want.

Understood about the "half-pipe" course. I just wanted to point out that all of the "editing" you do isn't a typical part of VE testing, "half-pipe" or not.

I think if I didn't have a good "half-pipe" available, then my second choice would be a simple loop that doesn't require braking. That will be much easier to use than a "out and back w/editing" approach.

There's no good loops near you either?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
The next level for wind-tunnel aerodynamic testing may be, NO wind tunnel!

Bah! Getting aero drag from field data can't possibly done accurately.

Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All from Canadians...hmmm.

Jim,

All the good stuff in triathlon and cycling comes from Canada! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
There's no good loops near you either?
There's actually one good spot with a hill I can turn around on, so I use that one too. I think that's a pretty good solution in general. I get really consistent results on the out and back course (partly because it is sort of wind shadowed), so that's what I use mostly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just completed the beta application. Looking forward to hearing back.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Haha, thank you for this! I've also filled out the form. Bought my own weather station (Kestrel 5500) and a tripod for it to weather vane for field testing at a nearby loop and have had excellent results. Honestly, I'd be glad if all this device did was incorporate some more advanced sensors than I can use and then spit all the data into a raw file second by second for me to crunch as I please later, but I know that's not really marketable

Last edited by: cmeeks: Feb 7, 18 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Fleck wrote:

You should have patented the whirly-gig device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I filled out your beta form. Since you mention real time data of various sorts as something that might be provided to the rider (and by 'real time' I assume you mean while they are riding), have you given much thought to how this would be provided? data fields on a regular bike computer, so they have to look down to see it)? Displayed in a cycling HMD (e.g., Recon Jet, EvereySight, Garmin Varia)?

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisesposito wrote:
Hi,
I filled out your beta form. Since you mention real time data of various sorts as something that might be provided to the rider (and by 'real time' I assume you mean while they are riding), have you given much thought to how this would be provided? data fields on a regular bike computer, so they have to look down to see it)? Displayed in a cycling HMD (e.g., Recon Jet, EvereySight, Garmin Varia)?

Chris

Hi Chris,
You are correct, the data is displayed in real-time to the user (we used a clunky wired programmable display during prototype tests which is absolutely NOT being used for any consumer). In the short term (Beta testing), a ConnectIQ app will enable live viewing of CdA, Crr, Wind Speed, Wind Direction, etc. In the long term, an ANT+ device profile associated to aerodynamic sensor data will be established, and hopefully adopted by head unit manufacturers to enable live display of these same quantities across all brands.

Chris Morton, PhD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
lanierb wrote:
I do a lot of field testing -- pretty much every week -- and I'd love to be in as well. I can get you tons of data. I filled out the form.

As for what I'd like to see on the tech side, I'd rather *not* use Golden Cheetah aerolab. GC aerolab is clunky for doing multiple tests and also for tests involving two separate runs that you want to splice together (one each direction on the same road). It's hard to remove chunks you don't want (the turnaround), and you have to manually do each run. If you do 5 runs you have to manually do it 5 times, and if the 5 runs are out and backs with a turnaround you have to chop out the turnaround 5 times! I'd rather a piece of software that displayed every lap in your fit file and computed CdA for each lap, and then allowed you to combine laps as you please. If that doesn't make sense I can try to explain better. That would be really slick.

If you use a "U-shaped" course, or "half-pipe" profile, you shouldn't need to brake at the turnarounds (since the uphill slows you to a crawl), so no removal necessary. Here's what that type of run ends up looking like (this is my own personal spreadsheet I put together before Aerolab was available...basically the same thing):

Of course, re-looking at your description above...I'm unclear how you're using Aerolab in the first place for the type of testing you describe, since it's intended to evaluate multiple continuous "laps"...

It always amazes me how good your VE profiles look. I bet everyone wanted you as a lab partner in Chemistry and Physics.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

It always amazes me how good your VE profiles look. I bet everyone wanted you as a lab partner in Chemistry and Physics.
I'm convinced he simulates them on a computer :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamic Testing 3.0 [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

The output of my VE spreadsheet typically looks smoother than Aerolab...and I sometimes wonder if it might be how the calculation for kinetic energy changes is handled. It shouldn't be a simple "delta speed over delta time" calculation on each record...a long time ago a guy named Adam Haile educated me on that point ;-) I should check with Andy F. to see how he implemented it in Aerolab.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
lanierb wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

The output of my VE spreadsheet typically looks smoother than Aerolab...and I sometimes wonder if it might be how the calculation for kinetic energy changes is handled. It shouldn't be a simple "delta speed over delta time" calculation on each record...a long time ago a guy named Adam Haile educated me on that point ;-) I should check with Andy F. to see how he implemented it in Aerolab.

Conservation of energy must be adhered to! Reminds me of the little video that DCR recorded and posted on our 'first look' (which I did not know he was recording!). For anyone that looked closely at it, the x-axis is labeled incorrectly as Vrel^2 when in reality it is much more complex (just easier to label as one variable though for explanation purposes). For anyone who has played with regression approaches, it is critical to keep track of the energy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9YDJag6Ds

Chris Morton, PhD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Ray really really bad at holding a TT position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Code:
a = ( v*v - vlast*vlast ) / ( 2.0 * dt * v );
Quote Reply

Prev Next