Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the width of the Titan rim in the middle?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What is the width of the Titan rim in the middle?

Just over 30mm, the widest point isn't directly in the middle though.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30.1mm? 30.4mm? 30.7mm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as we have your attention, ... Any updates on the new skinsuit fabrics?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
As long as we have your attention, ... Any updates on the new skinsuit fabrics?

Aha ;) - in production but it's been delayed. We will have updated skinsuits coming out soon regardless, but new fabrics likely 2020. All the designs are done it just takes a while to physically weave the fabrics in the quantities needed.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yess, i can have the wheelset from my wife :P
So If anyone is interrested in handbuild wheels,Stealth 90mm with Hope RS4 only 400-500km old

Question what would be the time saved over 40k when i switch to the AEOX ZEPHYR / Disc combo

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure which wheels you mean I'm afraid. It's always a bit finger in the air with comparisons unless we have full data - earlier in the thread we have a fair bit of info on Planet X wheels so we can make a more informed decision, but with wheels we haven't seen before it's harder to be exact.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are made in Belgium (http://www.stealthwheels.be) but can't find
Aero data. it is the fighter model.

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
They are made in Belgium (http://www.stealthwheels.be) but can't find
Aero data. it is the fighter model.

They do seem to be a generic design. Perhaps at some point we can do a comparison with more commonly used open mould wheels, but deciding which ones to go for is very tricky as there are a lot out there.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't understand why an internal spoke nipple would not be used on something meant to be cutting edge aero. 100% has to be lower drag. Why? Also how is the lateral flex with a narrow hub flange? Has to have more flex and spoke load. No free lunch here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

This may be a bit off topic. but how does the new wheel compare to the old aluminum rim 100? I was thinking of getting one of the 100mm aluminum wheels, but it looks like I missed my window of opportunity (unless you have some floating around that I could still get)

We’re not making them any more I’m afraid. They were so difficult to construct compared with our other wheels it was better to focus on the previous shallower wheel (the AEOX 75).

The TITAN is marginally more aero, but more importantly is far easier to handle so you can run it all the time. It’s also lighter.

How much lighter?
How big is the difference in braking between new and old aluminium?
What's the difference between your supplied brake pads and for example SwissStop Flash Black Prince?
If one has no problem with handling with the old aluminum, will the difference in aero and weight be so marginally small that an upgrade to Corsa Speed 2 will be just as good?
What's your recommended torque spec for aero skewers like the TriRig Styx?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [MVB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MVB wrote:
I can't understand why an internal spoke nipple would not be used on something meant to be cutting edge aero. 100% has to be lower drag. Why? Also how is the lateral flex with a narrow hub flange? Has to have more flex and spoke load. No free lunch here.

Higher flanges - more than makes up the difference, we have got deflection testing data on that which will make it onto the website. It does make the hub a bit heavier though but worth it overall. Internal nipples were a consideration and we do have some special reversible nipples that will allow it, but it's not like the valve which creates drag by being a massive cylinder (in comparison) and serviceability is key, certainly for the ZEPHYR which are more of an all round wheelset.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [SilentLegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SilentLegs wrote:
Xavier wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

This may be a bit off topic. but how does the new wheel compare to the old aluminum rim 100? I was thinking of getting one of the 100mm aluminum wheels, but it looks like I missed my window of opportunity (unless you have some floating around that I could still get)

We’re not making them any more I’m afraid. They were so difficult to construct compared with our other wheels it was better to focus on the previous shallower wheel (the AEOX 75).

The TITAN is marginally more aero, but more importantly is far easier to handle so you can run it all the time. It’s also lighter.

How much lighter?
How big is the difference in braking between new and old aluminium?
What's the difference between your supplied brake pads and for example SwissStop Flash Black Prince?
If one has no problem with handling with the old aluminum, will the difference in aero and weight be so marginally small that an upgrade to Corsa Speed 2 will be just as good?
What's your recommended torque spec for aero skewers like the TriRig Styx?

It's around 40g lighter than the previous AEOX 100. If you've already got one and you're good with the handling on it then it's a perfectly fine wheel so no need to upgrade. Putting the new CS will be nice for puncture protection, we find it's better. Torque settings are more of a frame and skewer thing rather than wheel, you don't want to be putting 10Nm into any wheel though.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:

It's around 40g lighter than the previous AEOX 100. If you've already got one and you're good with the handling on it then it's a perfectly fine wheel so no need to upgrade. Putting the new CS will be nice for puncture protection, we find it's better. Torque settings are more of a frame and skewer thing rather than wheel, you don't want to be putting 10Nm into any wheel though.

What about the brake pads? What's special about them and will you be selling them individually?

So the AEOX Hub should be okay with 6Nm if the fork is?

Was it because of the handling the old wheel was only recommended for racing and not training?

Would be interesting to see comparison aero data between the old and the new 100 wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever test a disc brake wheel with a lower spoke count? I've always found Roval's 21 spoke 2:1 lacing approach interesting for disc brake wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you measured the difference between using the disc and the Titan rear..? (For those with one eye on Kona....)

Any PX deals available to those with the alloy rim version..? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [SilentLegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SilentLegs wrote:
Xavier wrote:

What about the brake pads? What's special about them and will you be selling them individually?

So the AEOX Hub should be okay with 6Nm if the fork is?

Was it because of the handling the old wheel was only recommended for racing and not training?

Would be interesting to see comparison aero data between the old and the new 100 wheels.

Yes no problem to replace them if people need. It's a warranty thing - we know our pads work fine with the wheels but we don't want people to go and use a poor brake block and run into issues.

Yes that torque setting sounds fine.

Yes - very much race day only for most people.

I've attached some data for the previous AEOX 75 vs. the ZEPHYR, we haven't added in the AEOX 100 for this current data set as it was discontinued quite a while ago. Their performance was similar to the TITAN, a bit worse at the lower yaws making them slower overall.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKathlete wrote:
Have you measured the difference between using the disc and the Titan rear..? (For those with one eye on Kona....)

Any PX deals available to those with the alloy rim version..? ;-)

It'll be less than the difference between the ZEPHYR and the disc but we've not done the full data set with all the tyres etc. Mainly (and we've recommended this recently for an athlete going to Kona with our wheels) having the deepest rim on the back will help to stabilise the bike so somewhere like Kona that's a good thing, regardless of the aero difference. Don't worry about using a 25mm on a rear TITAN either, just the front one you need to use a 23mm.

If you send an email through the website contact form Rich will help you out if you want to upgrade.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the maximum width of the Titan rim?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Did you ever test a disc brake wheel with a lower spoke count? I've always found Roval's 21 spoke 2:1 lacing approach interesting for disc brake wheels.

No we haven't played around with lower spoke counts for the disc brake wheels - we settled on 24x for everything disc brake as it helps to reduce the hub SKUs and keep the cost down.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Yes - very much race day only for most people.
If the concern is handling, wouldn't training on them be even more important?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

No we haven't played around with lower spoke counts for the disc brake wheels - we settled on 24x for everything disc brake as it helps to reduce the hub SKUs and keep the cost down.

No concern for the aero penalty from the additional spoke count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do wonder about the aerodynamics of the hub, a lot of modern stuff looks to have a lot of frontal area, in cpmparison to say an old campy record hub.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Xavier wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

No concern for the aero penalty from the additional spoke count?

4 extra spokes, disc rotors, non aero hub (our disc hub isn't the narrow version) - there are a few compromises one has to make anyway to enable disc compatibility

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my eye on the AEOX full disc but I have a 2019 Speed Concept. What considerations do I have to take in to account because of the reduced chainstay clearance?
Quote Reply

Prev Next