AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Xavier wrote:
If anyone's got any further questions feel free to ask

Can you elaborate on your recommendation against long course triathletes using the Corsa Speed? On a range of Zipp (easy) to Enve (incredibly difficult) . . . how easy is it to mount the typical tire on these wheels?

So with the feedback we have from triathletes the main thing long course triathletes are worried about is faff by the side of the road. Tubeless Corsa Speeds can be irritating to sort out with a tube if you’re not used to it, and GP5000s are just so unlikely to puncture that’s a more common choice. Of course the fastest thing will be a Corsa Speed no matter what kind of race you’re doing, it’s just a usability thing. For time triallists or triathletes who are racing in a situation where a puncture would be the end of their race, Corsa Speeds tubeless at least give you an extra level of puncture resistance before your race is over.

As for mounting the tyres the Zipps are incredibly loose aren’t they! I’d put ours in between the two, you do need a tyre lever but it’s not as tricky as the ENVEs. In our tests we found the ENVEs quite hard to seal tubeless as well with a Corsa Speed. It may not be obvious from our data but as one of the wheels (Zipp 858) wasn’t tubeless compatible we still used the TL version of the GP5000 on everything for consistency, but just with an inner tube inside.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
Xavier wrote:
cartsman wrote:
Thanks - is it safe to assume the calculators err on the conservative side, so for super smooth roads there could be a small benefit in running at ~5PSI higher?

Have already put my Zephyr order in, partly as I have to deal with some crosswinds that get pretty strong and partly because I'm not convinced yet by tubeless and if I want to run clinchers with latex then the Zephyr is more forgiving of slightly different tire shapes and sizes? Where the Titan is very much optimised around the Victoria 23C tubeless?

Thanks for the order! Yes the ZEPHYR is pretty impervious to tyre width changes, but the TITAN is a 23mm Corsa Speed only wheel. If you’re running GP5000 25mm then the ZEPHYR is actually faster than the TITAN and so would be the better choice.

So if you were to run another brand 23mm tyre - eg a Conti SS or TT would you recommend a Zephyr over a Titan?

TITAN for 23mm. We will release more public data on further tyre testing (with the tyres that we would recommend people use), the GP TT is on that list but for all the current public stuff we wanted to keep with tubeless only tyres for consistency, to avoid confusion and because that’s what we recommend in any case. Too many graphs just get a bit lost in the noise so we wanted to make things clearer for customers as much as we could.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Xavier wrote:
So with the feedback we have from triathletes the main thing long course triathletes are worried about is faff by the side of the road.

Thank you. The trade off between flat resistance and speed is difficult with this tire. I was racing them tubeless with ENVE but came to the realization that I probably couldn’t install a tube roadside, and wasn’t confident enough to run them non-tubeless. Will have a think about placing an order ... I see a late August ship date, would you expect that I have them in hand in the US by mid-Sept?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Xavier wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Xavier wrote:
So with the feedback we have from triathletes the main thing long course triathletes are worried about is faff by the side of the road.

Thank you. The trade off between flat resistance and speed is difficult with this tire. I was racing them tubeless with ENVE but came to the realization that I probably couldn’t install a tube roadside, and wasn’t confident enough to run them non-tubeless. Will have a think about placing an order ... I see a late August ship date, would you expect that I have them in hand in the US by mid-Sept?

Yes we’d expect so, it doesn’t take too long to ship to the US :)

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the rim bulge out wider than 26.7mm in the middle?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
If anyone's got any further questions feel free to ask - there's quite a bit of data but didn't want to go overloading the website with too many graphs. We also made a personal tyre pressure calculator the wheels which we've put here:

https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/aeox-wheels-tyre-data

This may be a bit off topic. but how does the new wheel compare to the old aluminum rim 100? I was thinking of getting one of the 100mm aluminum wheels, but it looks like I missed my window of opportunity (unless you have some floating around that I could still get)
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Xavier wrote:
If anyone's got any further questions feel free to ask - there's quite a bit of data but didn't want to go overloading the website with too many graphs. We also made a personal tyre pressure calculator the wheels which we've put here:

This may be a bit off topic. but how does the new wheel compare to the old aluminum rim 100? I was thinking of getting one of the 100mm aluminum wheels, but it looks like I missed my window of opportunity (unless you have some floating around that I could still get)

We’re not making them any more I’m afraid. They were so difficult to construct compared with our other wheels it was better to focus on the previous shallower wheel (the AEOX 75).

The TITAN is marginally more aero, but more importantly is far easier to handle so you can run it all the time. It’s also lighter.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much watts will I save if I switch from Hed jet9 black + Jet Black Disc to your Titan/Disc combo?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
How much watts will I save if I switch from Hed jet9 black + Jet Black Disc to your Titan/Disc combo?

Look at the chart. Jet9 looks to be faster 0 to 7.5 yaw. The titan comes out ahead overall in this data because of the high yaw drag values. I would count on the Jet being slightly faster at most races. Your combo is probably a good as it gets and you will gain little to nothing by spending money to make the change. With braking from your aluminum tracks you probably save seconds at sharp turns. I honestly think you have the fastest setup out there, especially once you consider later braking points.

Similar case for zephyr vs Enve. They're almost the same averaged over 0 to 7.5. The average watt numbers look better for the zephyr because of the 7.5+ yaw data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Xavier wrote:

We’re not making them any more I’m afraid. They were so difficult to construct compared with our other wheels it was better to focus on the previous shallower wheel (the AEOX 75).

The TITAN is marginally more aero, but more importantly is far easier to handle so you can run it all the time. It’s also lighter.

Xavier, any plan for developing an aerocoach trispoke? Front wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:

As mentioned above it is close (although the TITAN is exceptional at 0), what tyres are you using?

AeroCoach UK
Last edited by: Xavier: Jul 7, 19 6:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much time saving in HIM with your titan/disc compared to FLO 60/FLO disc with gp5000?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:

One of our employees is keen but it’d be a really big R&D investment so only if we think it’ll be worth funding. Given the speed of the TITAN/ZEPHYR it would take a while - although we already have a wheelchair trispoke on file that we’ve finished all the CAD, CFD and tunnel testing (in 20” size) that might go into production later in the year, potentially for Tokyo 2020. A full cycling trispoke is a bit of a different project in terms of the construction and compatibility though.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:

As mentioned above it is close (although the TITAN is exceptional at 0), what tyres are you using?
Corsa speed Open TLR 23mm (I believe 1st gen?) with silca latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
frenchieTT wrote:

One of our employees is keen but it’d be a really big R&D investment so only if we think it’ll be worth funding. Given the speed of the TITAN/ZEPHYR it would take a while - although we already have a wheelchair trispoke on file that we’ve finished all the CAD, CFD and tunnel testing (in 20” size) that might go into production later in the year, potentially for Tokyo 2020. A full cycling trispoke is a bit of a different project in terms of the construction and compatibility though.

Thanks for the answer. I had seen the trispoke on the wheelchair on instagram and was keen to see if you had something in the making for cycling. Count one buyer in if you develop one.
Quite a few teams at the tdf running trispokes this year in the ttt.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
How much time saving in HIM with your titan/disc compared to FLO 60/FLO disc with gp5000?

It depends on your speed and width of the tyres (23 or 25?). The ZEPHYR front wheels are faster than TITAN if you have 25s, that flips round if you’re using 23s.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

It depends on your speed and width of the tyres (23 or 25?). The ZEPHYR front wheels are faster than TITAN if you have 25s, that flips round if you’re using 23s.

Let’s Change it to zephyr/your disc
Tires 25
23 MPH

I can have you add a power meter to the disc correct?

Thank you
Last edited by: MrTri123: Jul 7, 19 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Xavier wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:

Corsa speed Open TLR 23mm (I believe 1st gen?) with silca latex tubes.

From our published data it’s 1.1w (using a weighted drag protocol) for a front wheel, and 1.3w for the disc (all at 45kph).

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Xavier wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Tires 25
23 MPH

Thank you

So a ZEPHYR would be better than a TITAN in that case.

We haven’t put Flo wheels in our published graphs I’m afraid but they are good (regardless of what a certain wind tunnel “test” says!). In fact we found a 23mm GPTT to be a really good fit with a Flo 60 from a Crr + CdA combined perspective.

Yes we can put a Powertap in the disc.

AeroCoach UK
Last edited by: Xavier: Jul 7, 19 6:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you some comparison with 2spoke wheels. They look very fast. (They say it's faster then a disk) but I don't have seen the test data.

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Look at the chart. Jet9 looks to be faster 0 to 7.5 yaw.

Yet again HED comes in second in someone aero testing. :)

Yet another piece of evidence that if you just want to check the "aero wheels" box and not worry about it, get HED.

Nothing against these wheels - they look great, and have my full attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
Did you some comparison with 2spoke wheels. They look very fast. (They say it's faster then a disk) but I don't have seen the test data.

I’ve spoken with someone that’s done aero testing with them, they said they’re fine but nothing special.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach new carbon wheels [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Look at the chart. Jet9 looks to be faster 0 to 7.5 yaw.

Yet again HED comes in second in someone aero testing. :)

Yet another piece of evidence that if you just want to check the "aero wheels" box and not worry about it, get HED.

Nothing against these wheels - they look great, and have my full attention.

HEDs are good for sure. Just a tyre width thing with the Jet 9+ front, if you run a 25 it's slower than a TITAN 23/ZEPHYR 23/ZEPHYR 25 whereas there's no penalty on a ZEPHYR with a 25.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply

Prev Next