Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I did briefly search the archives for this topic, but didn't see anything exactly like what I am dealing with....I have Profile Design T2+ Cobra aero bars and the Cobra base bar (Profile Design)--- and cannot for the life of me get the aerobars securely attached. They are on, I hit a little bump and boom--- one of the Sbends rotates outward. Granted there are many different parts here that could be tightened, but I have LBS re-adjust each time, tightening with torque wrenches to spec. They won't tighten down anything further than what manufacturer recommends, but this is resulting in one ride, one trip to LBS. One ride, one trip to LBS. repeat.

I have to find a way out of this cycle. DO I give up on this setup, and go for a single piece (eg OVAL designs), and hence more $$, or is there (please god) some very basic solution to this that I (and LBS) is missing?

Thanks for any advice, thoughts or even ridicule...it's all good!

~~~ ~
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon? [tass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,

I did briefly search the archives for this topic, but didn't see anything exactly like what I am dealing with....I have Profile Design T2+ Cobra aero bars and the Cobra base bar (Profile Design)--- and cannot for the life of me get the aerobars securely attached. They are on, I hit a little bump and boom--- one of the Sbends rotates outward. Granted there are many different parts here that could be tightened, but I have LBS re-adjust each time, tightening with torque wrenches to spec. They won't tighten down anything further than what manufacturer recommends, but this is resulting in one ride, one trip to LBS. One ride, one trip to LBS. repeat.

I have to find a way out of this cycle. DO I give up on this setup, and go for a single piece (eg OVAL designs), and hence more $$, or is there (please god) some very basic solution to this that I (and LBS) is missing?

Thanks for any advice, thoughts or even ridicule...it's all good!
get a bottle of gorilla glue. works great, and you can break the bond by completely unbolting the bars later, but in the meantime, they'll hold perfectly. Tried this trick when I had the same problem you describe, but with a set of the blackwell aerobars.

hope this helps,

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon? [tass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The glue may work but I have been encountering this with various setups for years and have found that a thin wrap with a thin tape like mylar over the extension will take up some of the excess tolerance between the clamp and the extension. I have done this even recently with the extensions on my Hed bars. You still have all your adjustability and can remove the tape if you need to without any residue like glue will leave or damage to the carbon. This alsoworks with handlebars and stems if there is slippage.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon? [1406racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed, i use electrical tape. works great.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon? [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could always use carbon paste which is designed to solve this precise problem, but where's the potential for "my bars broke" threads in that eh? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the carbon paste

----------------------------------------------------------

keep it simple , keep it real .
--Brett Sutton

But i dont really know that much about bikes. I just sit on em and do as i am told. peddle. hard and fast.
--Chrissie Wellington

I think the best way to get faster is to enjoy it, the more you do the better you get, so go out and enjoy swim, biking and running, and don't feel to constrained and just do lots.
--Stephen Bayliss
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi--
Actually the carbon paste (red stuff) has been used each time the bars move.
(ie, parts removed, cleaned, paste reapplied, bars re-installed with appropriate torque).

~~~ ~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi--
(ie, parts removed, cleaned, paste reapplied, bars re-installed with appropriate torque).
try the gorilla glue, I used it the night before the State TT championships last year; so it was a "must work" situation.
bars held, didnt budge at all...........and when I needed to switch up my bars about 6 months later, the glue let go as soon as I unbolted everything and lifted the aerobars off the base bar.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon? [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Hi--
try the gorilla glue, I used it the night before the State TT championships last year; so it was a "must work" situation.
bars held, didnt budge at all...........and when I needed to switch up my bars about 6 months later, the glue let go as soon as I unbolted everything and lifted the aerobars off the base bar.
Bars are centered and glued!! A long ride should determine whether this gorilla glue holds its salt. Thanks for the advice!

~~~ ~
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon? [(t-1)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Hed Vantage 8, so don't know if this will apply to you.

I put carbon paste (carbon assembly grease, or whatever name people call it), and at first it still didn't seem to work.

Then I re-read the instructions: tighten the upper bolt first before tightening the lower bolt.

In your case, instead of applying torque equally to the bolts, try tightening the rear one first, then the front (or vice versa if that doesn't work) -- all tests/trials of which to tighten first, but using carbon grease each time.

Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------

keep it simple , keep it real .
--Brett Sutton

But i dont really know that much about bikes. I just sit on em and do as i am told. peddle. hard and fast.
--Chrissie Wellington

I think the best way to get faster is to enjoy it, the more you do the better you get, so go out and enjoy swim, biking and running, and don't feel to constrained and just do lots.
--Stephen Bayliss
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that is very interesting, and definitely escaped my notice!! The red grease though was not doing the trick.
After 15x of having the bars shift on me mid-ride, I gave up :)
I've switched to a different base and bar system (Oval) and they haven't moved once (probably because the elbow pads are not connected to the bars), thank god.

~~~ ~
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon? [zebragonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you get carbon paste?
My dumb LBS doesn't have it and I haven't seen it online either.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars shifting---crank them down and crack the carbon? [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gorilla Glue seems to be the duct tape of the 21st century...
Quote Reply