Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aerobars for a total noob
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, just got a second hand pair of clip on bars for my road bike. I am just getting started in Triathlon so I am not near ready to invest in a proper TT bike just yet. From my first impression my position is way off and my elbows are bent way forward trying to reach the bars. My saddle is moved almost all of the way forward also so should I just be raising the aerobars higher and using a different stem? Not really sure how to go about getting these in a some whah normal position. I have attached the pic below...as embarrassing as it is haha. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!!

Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars for a total noob [Barberdolan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're gonna really need a further zoomed out, more square-on photo with your pedals at 12/6 and 3/9, but I'd bet a dollar you're gonna and up needing a different seatpost or some other way to get forward. Might just be how I'm imagining the rest of you (see the first few words,) but 1) you look super far back regardless, and 2) yes, you're right, the pad situation is all wrong.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, that looks bad, but don't be embarrased, at least you're owning up to it.

Rotating the aero bars back, so your hands are higher (higher than your elbows at least), will bring the elbow pads backwards and close up the elbow angle.

Then, drop your upper body more by lowering (definitely not raising) the stem position (flip it downwards to start with, but you might need a more angled stem). Those aero bars aren't helping by being quite high above the base bar; if the elbow pads can be lowered at all it would help too.

Suspect your saddle needs to go up a bit (10mm+), but not being able to see your feet position makes that harder to judge.

If you can get your bum any further forwards, then do that. This may require a different saddle like an ISM that you can sit on the nose of, and/or a seatpost that can be offset forwards instead of backwards.

An example, here's what can be done with a road bike:

Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars for a total noob [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
We're gonna really need a further zoomed out, more square-on photo with your pedals at 12/6 and 3/9, but I'd bet a dollar you're gonna and up needing a different seatpost or some other way to get forward. Might just be how I'm imagining the rest of you (see the first few words,) but 1) you look super far back regardless, and 2) yes, you're right, the pad situation is all wrong.

Thanks for the input. Here is a slightly better photo but I will be able to proper photos tomorrow as I don’t have anybody to take em right now.

Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars for a total noob [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
yeah, that looks bad, but don't be embarrased, at least you're owning up to it.

Rotating the aero bars back, so your hands are higher (higher than your elbows at least), will bring the elbow pads backwards and close up the elbow angle.

Then, drop your upper body more by lowering (definitely not raising) the stem position (flip it downwards to start with, but you might need a more angled stem). Those aero bars aren't helping by being quite high above the base bar; if the elbow pads can be lowered at all it would help too.

Suspect your saddle needs to go up a bit (10mm+), but not being able to see your feet position makes that harder to judge.

If you can get your bum any further forwards, then do that. This may require a different saddle like an ISM that you can sit on the nose of, and/or a seatpost that can be offset forwards instead of backwards.

An example, here's what can be done with a road bike:

Thank you I really appreciate the insight and suggestions. I lowered my saddle a little bit a few months ago when I got an ISM saddle. I will see how it feels at the original height. It’s also not pushed fully forward in the pic so I will do that also. I am just a bit worried about playing around with the stem as I had a bike fit done for road riding and don’t want to throw off how the bike is dialed in. I guess I can mark the settings and take pics of the angle of my stem before making any adjustments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah dang, proprietary seat post, not much chance to offset further forwards.

Start with flipping the stem and tilting the aero bars up. You seem to have no stem spacers, but you could get it lower by using a shorter headset cone.

Wrap some tape around the seatpost at the clamp before you raise it to mark where you started from.
Last edited by: MattyK: May 4, 19 21:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barberdolan wrote:
I am just a bit worried about playing around with the stem as I had a bike fit done for road riding and don’t want to throw off how the bike is dialed in. I guess I can mark the settings and take pics of the angle of my stem before making any adjustments.

Correct at making marks/wrapping bar tape etc.

You actually just discovered what's, in my opinion, one of the biggest reasons to get a dedicated tri bike (either a try triathlon bike or hypothetically a second road bike with clipons.) Fundamentally, they're two different fits, especially if your road position is as far back as yours seems to be. They are big changes you're making. Now that's not to say you hypothetically can't get away with a shit fit, not that it's reccomended. I did my first season with a garbage fit (basically just attached them and called it a day.) It wasn't comfortable, stable, or relaxing, but as a broke college kid, $150 fit might as well have been $10,000 so what do you do. The right fit will be completely comfortable, stable, and confidence inspiring, as well as aerodynamic and let you put out good power. You're going to have to choose between the correct road fit and correct tri fit, though. Saddle height and fore/aft will change, and depending on your aerobars, the stem possibly might change. If you can get away with just saddle adjustments though, it's not terrible. Now's a good time to buy a torque wrench, though.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Ah dang, proprietary seat post, not much chance to offset further forwards.

Start with flipping the stem and tilting the aero bars up. You seem to have no stem spacers, but you could get it lower by using a shorter headset cone.

Wrap some tape around the seatpost at the clamp before you raise it to mark where you started from.

Yeah I actually bought my bike off a friend who has used it for racing so the stem had been cut. I had the stem flipped when I did my bike fit after buying the bike. Thanks for the suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars for a total noob [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
Barberdolan wrote:
I am just a bit worried about playing around with the stem as I had a bike fit done for road riding and don’t want to throw off how the bike is dialed in. I guess I can mark the settings and take pics of the angle of my stem before making any adjustments.

Correct at making marks/wrapping bar tape etc.

You actually just discovered what's, in my opinion, one of the biggest reasons to get a dedicated tri bike (either a try triathlon bike or hypothetically a second road bike with clipons.) Fundamentally, they're two different fits, especially if your road position is as far back as yours seems to be. They are big changes you're making. Now that's not to say you hypothetically can't get away with a shit fit, not that it's reccomended. I did my first season with a garbage fit (basically just attached them and called it a day.) It wasn't comfortable, stable, or relaxing, but as a broke college kid, $150 fit might as well have been $10,000 so what do you do. The right fit will be completely comfortable, stable, and confidence inspiring, as well as aerodynamic and let you put out good power. You're going to have to choose between the correct road fit and correct tri fit, though. Saddle height and fore/aft will change, and depending on your aerobars, the stem possibly might change. If you can get away with just saddle adjustments though, it's not terrible. Now's a good time to buy a torque wrench, though.

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately I am not in a position to invest right now and I would like to get at least a season in at the Olympic distance before doing so. Good call on the torque wrench. As long as I am some what comfortable on the bike for the 40km race efforts I will be happy for now. But am always looking out for a good deal on a used TT bike. Also I would happily pay $150 for a bike fit but unfortunately I am in NYC and they are more like $300-$400 here. I would prefer to put that money towards a dedicated Tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you mean to say that the seatpost has been cut?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars for a total noob [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Did you mean to say that the seatpost has been cut?

No the actual stem I believe. It was cut to be at a lower more aggressive position for racing. I had it flipped when I did my bike fit.

http://i65.tinypic.com/xf7t4y.jpg[/IMG
Last edited by: Barberdolan: May 5, 19 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible that the reach is just that far on the bike even without the clip-ons? It looks pretty far even for just the roadie.

It looks like if you were on your hoods your arms would have to be nearly all the way straight without a really solid rotation forward. Not sure if that's just how you ride the roadie or what, but that might be some of it. Looking at the amount of seat post/saddle height relative to the roadie bars......that's my guess as to part of the problem.

On my Propel roadie, I was able to get the elbow angle much closer. As it's a medium and I'm at the taller end for that size but short end of a large.

I'll say, lots of reach with that elbow angle that bike will be a handful to control and put power down with.

I'd maybe just try a draft-legal style ITU bar or something instead for now and find a deal on CL for a TT/tri frameset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your stem isn't cut.

Perhaps you are referring to the fork's steerer tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Your stem isn't cut.

Perhaps you are referring to the fork's steerer tube.

Ah maybe that’s it, sorry. I know there was just some modification made to the bike by the previous owner and I remember my bike fitter pointing it out. Do you think getting a new stem would be a good idea for the TT position or will flipping this one do the job?

Here is an updated pic of my position after raising my aerobars and moving the seat very slightly higher and pushed fully forward.
Seems like I am still reached too far forward and my elbows are not below my shoulders.

Last edited by: Barberdolan: May 5, 19 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep tilting those aero bars back. Get your hands another 10cm higher.

Try that, then pull the stem off and angle it down and try that also. It’s not too low for an aero bar position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Keep tilting those aero bars back. Get your hands another 10cm higher.

Try that, then pull the stem off and angle it down and try that also. It’s not too low for an aero bar position.

Thank you I really appreciate it. Just waiting on a torque wrench I ordered online so adjust the stem once I get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need a torque wrench to change the stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You don't need a torque wrench to change the stem.

True, I just didn’t want to adjust it and not tighten it correctly with an Allen key. Guess I am just worried about riding outdoors and the thing coming lose or something haha. Sorry I have never really adjusted anything but my saddle height. It’s about time I learned I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to figure out your bar extensions. Would love if you can show a close up photos of them. It looks like they bend down straight out of the clamps, then bend up at about their mid length and have a long straight section.

Something is making me think that the extensions have been installed backwards, and that they should have a long straight section out of the clamps, kick upwards, and then bend down slightly just before the tips.

Like this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
I've been trying to figure out your bar extensions. Would love if you can show a close up photos of them. It looks like they bend down straight out of the clamps, then bend up at about their mid length and have a long straight section.

Something is making me think that the extensions have been installed backwards, and that they should have a long straight section out of the clamps, kick upwards, and then bend down slightly just before the tips.

Like this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so yes the extension bars are on backwards, and the elbow pads are on the wrong side and one of them is backwards...

Strip the bar tape off (whoever did that taping job needs to be shot, though you'd probably need only one bullet between that and the person who did the assembly), disassemble, and set them up like the image below (though the elbow pad clamp can be in front or behind the handlebar clamp, that's up to your reach requirement.

If there is any way to invert those elbow pad clamps, I'd probably do that too.

Please just do it now. Don't wait for a torque wrench, it's not rocket surgery. Just do it up til it's nice and tight.
Last edited by: MattyK: May 6, 19 5:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also new to the aero game and recently fitted some clip-ons to my road bike. Even without an optimal fit (I can't change my seat fit due to a proprietary seatpost), I have still picked up some speed and can ride fairly comfortably, altho I'm not doing tri's, just short TTs. The longest I've gone is 35 miles (1:30) and that was ok, but I'd def want a tri/tt bike for anything longer.

As mentioned, they're put together wrong, you want to swap them around, so the longer straight section has the elbow pads and you can bring them more towards you. Another thing I noticed with my setup is that the elbow pads are too close for out of the seat efforts, so be careful with that. I'm not doing a lot of climbing in my TTs, so it's not an issue, just something that I try to be aware of.

Here's where mine ended up. It'll work for this season, as I continue to train and add equipment (better aero helmet, deeper wheels, etc.), then maybe next year I'll look at a dedicated tt bike.

Last edited by: rides4beer: May 6, 19 6:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
OK, so yes the extension bars are on backwards, and the elbow pads are on the wrong side and one of them is backwards...

Strip the bar tape off (whoever did that taping job needs to be shot, though you'd probably need only one bullet between that and the person who did the assembly), disassemble, and set them up like the image below (though the elbow pad clamp can be in front or behind the handlebar clamp, that's up to your reach requirement.

If there is any way to invert those elbow pad clamps, I'd probably do that too.

Please just do it now. Don't wait for a torque wrench, it's not rocket surgery. Just do it up til it's nice and tight.

Hahaha damn what an absolute mess. Thanks for pointing all of this out. Will do all of the above.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars for a total noob [rides4beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rides4beer wrote:

As mentioned, they're put together wrong, you want to swap them around, so the longer straight section has the elbow pads and you can bring them more towards you. Another thing I noticed with my setup is that the elbow pads are too close for out of the seat efforts, so be careful with that. I'm not doing a lot of climbing in my TTs, so it's not an issue, just something that I try to be aware of.

Here's where mine ended up. It'll work for this season, as I continue to train and add equipment (better aero helmet, deeper wheels, etc.), then maybe next year I'll look at a dedicated tt bike.

Thank you, much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I actually put the aerobars on the way they were supposed to be installed and this is my improved position. Did a short ride earlier and felt pretty comfortable riding on the bars. Haven’t tested them on a long enough ride yet though to really know how they feel. Thanks for all the super helpful feedback on this thread.

Last edited by: Barberdolan: May 7, 19 15:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next