Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero?
Quote | Reply
The past few years I've "suffering" with a very decent low stack bar like the one shown below.

The problem is that I'm always fiddling with position, and this bar isn't good for that. It doesn't pedestal (properly) or tilt. I'd like to be able to try out a vast array of positions (high, low, flat, mantis, narrow, wide, long-short reach, saddle back-forward, UCI legal, etc), with minimal wrenching and aero penalty. IMO the ability to do this easily is super important, to optimize both comfort and aerodynamics.

Finding an inexpensive aerobar that ticks all the boxes isn't easy. And it looks like I'm going to need a new frame also, because bar stack is going to go up, and I've been riding with a 120mm -35 stem. :(

FEATURES:

Adjustable (length, rotation) standard 22.2mm extensions.
Risers/spacers available to pedestal the armpads and extensions. It's the easiest and most aero way to adjust stack.
Armrests that attach to the extensions and allow fore-aft adjustment. This feature makes bike reach nearly irrelevant, and you don't need to screw around with different stems to get the pad reach where you want it. It's also really nice when you are fiddling with tilt and trying to meet UCI extension-height restrictions. You can slide the armrests close to the ends of your extensions and simulate a mantis and still be legal.
Tilting armrests and extensions.
Low price. <$300 for everything. <$200 would be nice.
Aero. Minimal frontal area. Airfoil shapes where possible.

If you want lots of adjustablility you'll usually be looking at clip on bars with the separate basebar. The problem is all the basebars suck. A good example is what the new Felt bar looks like.

... and the Zipp Vuka.

Nice risers and clamps, ruined by a wide bulbous clamp area on the basebar. I know why they do it; so you can easily adjust the lateral position. But there are more aero ways to do that, and I personally want the pads together. At least the Zipp does not come as a unit, so you can pair it with other basebars. Unfortunately nearly all the basebars in existence look like that, with a ~120mm 31.8mm round tube in the middle, when ~60mm is all that's needed.

But I discovered that Profile Design has a 80mm center section on their 38cm Ozero and Svet basebars. 80mm is the narrowest clamp area I've found on any basebar. As you increase the bar width, the center section gets wider, not the wings. So you need to get the 38cm ones. Unfortunately the Ozero TT (the aluminum one) is hard to find in that size, and the Svet bars are carbon and not cheap. Even the Ozero is kinda pricey for aluminum at >$150, typically.

How about the clip-on part? To get the full range of adjustablility with independent pad fore/aft as well as risers, I only found one. That's Profile Designs T+ series. These have been around a long time. They are cheap and kinda heavy, and not all that aero. Plus the biggest negative for me is the inability to adjust the pads very narrow. Does anyone know of bars similar to the T+ design that allow for narrow pad spacing?

If I settle for armrests that have minimal fore-aft there are many decent clip-on bars that have a riser option. Profile T+ carbon, Zipp Vuka, Deda, 3T, USE, etc.

I also came across a complete basebar+aerobar that looks very promising. Specialized Hydroformed Alloy Aerobar.

These came on the lower end Shiv Tri bikes for a few years, although it looks like newer Shiv models have less adjustable bars. These tilt (EDIT: no they don't. The old ones that tilted were recalled). And though it looks like the armrest clamps to the bar clamp, this is not the case. The armrest can move independently like the T+ bars. And it looks like there is a way to set it up for very narrow pads. Plus they come with risers that allow for 45mm of stack adjustment! Usually you'll pay an extra $60+ to get a similar riser kit. And are only $200 complete. They look like winners, but they don't get mentioned much. Anyone here have experience with them? The only real negative for me is that even in the lowest stack configuration, they have a lot of stack. I think it's too much for me, even if I get a very low stack frame. But if you aren't needing low stack, these bars look like a great option.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Anything I missed?
Last edited by: rruff: May 22, 18 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PRO missile alloy basebar. it has a pretty narrow "round" section in the middle, basically only allows enough room for the clamp with a few mm on either side. flat extensions with no upturn.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the alloy Shiv bar. Eyeball aero it looks decent to me. It's a very stout bar. Specialized hasn't shipped the tilt hardware in a while fyi (I think it was recalled three years ago).
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Do you know how wide the center section is? It doesn't look all that narrow to me. (EDIT: photo scaling it looks like 100mm which is pretty decent). Price is good at <$100. I also like the straight hand grips and cable holes come out the rear near the clamp area.

Their clip-ons have the independent armrests as well. Haven't seen a riser kit though.

Last edited by: rruff: May 22, 18 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I have the alloy Shiv bar. Eyeball aero it looks decent to me. It's a very stout bar. Specialized hasn't shipped the tilt hardware in a while fyi (I think it was recalled three years ago).

Oh, so you're saying the new bars do not tilt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but I can measure tonight and post a photo with my bars installed on them.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that base bar design is nearly as bad aerodynamically as you are making it out to be.

I have the Vuka's you picture and I don't think its possible to get so narrow that the air disrupted by the circular part of the bar doesn't go straight into the riders body. Its an equivalent situation to a BTA bottle. Yes the bottle looks ridiculous from a front on view without the rider but dirty air is dirty air so once you add the rider its all ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rider's body isn't effectively "drafting" the base bar. There is way too much separation for that to occur. The bottle is a different scenario because it effects the airflow in the gap between the upper arms. That's why it often reduces drag.

http://www.tririg.com/...d_Tunnel_White_Paper

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Presenting a graph of wind tunnel testing without riders doesn’t prove your point. All it shows is that sans riders most aero base bars are pretty close together.

Also unless you are riding super stretched your knees will be coming within a few inches of that area of the bar. I maintain the air disrupted by that region of the bar will also be disrupted by a riders legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There isn't a lot of difference between the really good aerobars, but 50g+ difference between those and the Vuka seems like a lot to me.

How far behind the basebar do you think the effective draft zone is? A few inches at most. There isn't anything drafting behind the bar. Your knee isn't ever going to be behind the round section, and even if it was that is a brief occurrence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar quandary earlier this year and went with zipp clip + svet mostly because it was <$200 and I could pull the pads of the zipp narrower than most other bars. Would like them to be lower stack and considered the devox for that reason. You might look at the deda parabolic, it was too short for my long forarms though.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just built up this exact setup for a local pro TTer. She needed a pretty deep negative rise stem to keep her bars low enough to pass the jig, but otherwise the setup was really clean and pretty cost effective.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Zipp clips are promising, particularly since risers are readily available. I looked at the Deda bars also, but the only place I saw a riser kit was from Italy... and they say they are nylon?! No mention of risers on the Deda site.

I wonder if Profile or Zipp risers would work with other brands? I don't think the Zipps will without modification because they have a different curve, but the Profile risers look like they should be close to fitting Deda and maybe others.

With these I'm still missing independent armrests...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deda are far more trouble than they're worth (24mm extensions and limited pad adjustment last I had some in hand)

As it happens I took a pic of the PD Subsonic bar on a Svet Zero 38cm basebar yesterday as there is another thread going.

The fit would be much the same on the Ozero TT
I'd actually suggest the 40cm would be better with this aero bar as the extension width is 70mm and they're hard to get straight (because of the constrained clamping space on the basebar).
And this is the aerobar for you - pads will go very narrow (I can't check stats on this PC) and have fine adjustment for width and reach. Min stack is 40mm (or 35mm with the 5mm pad)

Wing10a would be the best choice for basebar - it has 100mm centre width for all sizes and is half the price of the Ozero. Ozero hydroforming is very expensive, Wing10a has Kamm shape and nicer (for aero) cable routing, plus it is flippable - though you would have it in the down position of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you checked out the ADR bars from the UK? Used pretty widely over here in the time trialling scene.

https://adrcarbon.com/...adr-ultimate-tt-bars

PDQ is a similar brand by Ian Cammish. Both made in China no doubt, but people seem to rate the ADR stuff quite highly.

I'm doing what you do.. old Devox bars (mine are the older non UCI ones). My semi mantis is achieved with 30 degree ski bends in reverse and a tilt spacer under the arm rests.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So right now I am on the PD J5 bracket and F35 cups on Prosvet. Do you have a reach number for the subsonic vs. J5? I cannot seem to figure it out from their site. It looks like it gives a good amount of stack adjustment but I don't want to lose reach.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Oh, so you're saying the new bars do not tilt?

Actually there are replacement clamps for 8deg tilt developed after the recall.

Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reach is exactly the same between Subsonic and Supersonic (formerly J5)

Images not scaled perfectly as I don't have right file formats and I'm not all that good at graphics anyway
You will get far more adjustment from an Ergo or Race armrest than the F35
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Trying to do it the least expensive route but would also like to buy things once then adjust rather than adjust some, buy new pads then adjust more.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Have you checked out the ADR bars from the UK?
I'm doing what you do.. old Devox bars (mine are the older non UCI ones). My semi mantis is achieved with 30 degree ski bends in reverse and a tilt spacer under the arm rests.

The ADRs look like open mold bars I've seen on ebay. They look good... but don't tilt, and the armrests are not independent.

I've got reversed 30 deg skis on mine also, but with elbows on the pads and I'm definitely not in mantis territory. The armrests need to be well up the forearm to get a mantis position with UCI rules.

Where did you get your tilt spacers, or did you make them?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
Actually there are replacement clamps for 8deg tilt developed after the recall.

Cool... are those clamps available anywhere? They are not shown as part of the riser kit, and not mentioned in the bar description.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I also came across a complete basebar+aerobar that looks very promising. Specialized Hydroformed Alloy Aerobar.

These came on the lower end Shiv Tri bikes for a few years, although it looks like newer Shiv models have less adjustable bars. These tilt (EDIT: no they don't. The old ones that tilted were recalled). And though it looks like the armrest clamps to the bar clamp, this is not the case. The armrest can move independently like the T+ bars. And it looks like there is a way to set it up for very narrow pads. Plus they come with risers that allow for 45mm of stack adjustment! Usually you'll pay an extra $60+ to get a similar riser kit. And are only $200 complete. They look like winners, but they don't get mentioned much. Anyone here have experience with them? The only real negative for me is that even in the lowest stack configuration, they have a lot of stack. I think it's too much for me, even if I get a very low stack frame. But if you aren't needing low stack, these bars look like a great option.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Anything I missed?

I just received a set today. The included arm-rest/extension brackets do not resemble the picture at all. Here's what I got, instead:

Not fond of that design at all. Looked like it was going to require cutting the bars to get the proper reach. Don't know for sure, sent it back.

I'd have kept the bar set if it had these 0* brackets:

Found a deal on the Profile Design Aeria Alloy cockpit, I'll be ordering that instead.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jul 17, 18 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The clamps you received are the low-stack clamps. These came with all of the aerobar kits along with the angle adjust clamps initially. After the recall of the angle adjust clamps, they were removed from all kits, leaving only the low-stack clamps which you received.

Specialized introduced a replacement for the angle adjust clamps, the fixed angle clamps (0deg and 8deg). These were never added into the aftermarket kit, but are available through a specialized retailer.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars: Adjustable, Cheap, and Aero? [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! I didn't know they made the 8 degree fixed clamps. I wonder how much they are and what the part numbers are. I'll do some digging.
Quote Reply

Prev Next