Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar too low it hits the brake cable pipe
Quote | Reply
Apologies if 'brake cable pipe' is not the right terminology. My wife asked me to lower her aerobar a further cm - meaning she's left with no spacers on her Felt B2 51''. Problem is that now the brake cable for the front brake - coming from left handlebar - doesn't fit the pipe that takes it to the caliper. What's the name of this tongue that fits into the fork and aligns the cable with the caliper - maybe I need a longer one? Any suggested to improve this - like maybe buying a caliper that's not centered - i.e. doesn't get the cable from the center? Recommendations?

Another interesting thing I noticed is that this tongue I just mentioned, doesn't sit tightly against the frame, there's about 1-2mm. Does anybody understand why? I am getting slightly out of my depth here but my local bike shop unfortunately doesn't touch tri bikes and the closest one is about an our away - the pros and cons of living in small villages *sigh*.

I have attached some photos with marking in an attempt to clarify what I just asked.

Thanks.

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar too low it hits the brake cable pipe [pmatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmatos wrote:
Apologies if 'brake cable pipe' is not the right terminology. My wife asked me to lower her aerobar a further cm - meaning she's left with no spacers on her Felt B2 51''. Problem is that now the brake cable for the front brake - coming from left handlebar - doesn't fit the pipe that takes it to the caliper. What's the name of this tongue that fits into the fork and aligns the cable with the caliper - maybe I need a longer one? Any suggested to improve this - like maybe buying a caliper that's not centered - i.e. doesn't get the cable from the center? Recommendations?

Another interesting thing I noticed is that this tongue I just mentioned, doesn't sit tightly against the frame, there's about 1-2mm. Does anybody understand why? I am getting slightly out of my depth here but my local bike shop unfortunately doesn't touch tri bikes and the closest one is about an our away - the pros and cons of living in small villages *sigh*.

I have attached some photos with marking in an attempt to clarify what I just asked.

Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure, but the third image (showing the internals) looks like the headset is assembled improperly. on most headsets, that wedge shaped ring thing should go down between the headset bearing and the steerer tube, not pointing up into the top cap. That's preventing proper compression.

You "may" be able to run the brake cable hanger off-centre in order to get clearance, otherwise you'll need a longer one with more drop.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar too low it hits the brake cable pipe [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that doesn’t look right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Tektro or Orgin 8 front brake cable hanger (or this) and consider using flex brake housing (noodle) to mate. You will likely need flat headset cap for steerer. As long as there is no fore/aft play of fork tube/steerer with normal compression some gap is OK, covers will vary in overlap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like her FSA cable hanger has a barrel adjuster in it, which is nice for fine tuning, but it's backed out all the way, about a CM or so, bringing it up high. You could try screwing it down all the way for starters and see if it gives you enough space to use the elbow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a tririg brake? the cable holder is at the brake not the headset.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar too low it hits the brake cable pipe [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Jason

Photo 1: I think the gap is normal
Photo 3: I think the “cone” is upside down
Photo 2: rotate the cable hanger towards you so the cable can clear the stem

You may need to try a metal “brake noodle” to make the cable turn the right corner, you may need to cut the outer cable shorter.

If that doesn’t work, install a regular side-pull front brake caliper. (Or a tririg if you have $$)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others mentioned, their may be other issues, but the bar just touching that "pipe" did not cause any issues. Didn't on my B12 when I slammed it as low as it would go. There was no bending on the "pipe" really that would cause the inner cable to be restricted affecting braking. It all moves together so theres no rubbing of the stem against it while turning or anything. Its just going to touch. At least that was my experience.

Found a picture of my old bike. Which is rotated for some reason I cant figure out from my phone. Stem pushes on the black "pipe", but not enough to cause issues.
Last edited by: KG6: Nov 30, 18 17:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gap between the frame and the headset dust cover is normal. Nothing to be concerned over. ...Might be a touch high because of very thin spacers between the headset cap and bearing. Some degree of a gap is needed as not having a gap will cause binding between the frame and the dust cover (not good).

As I see it, the easiest option is to replace the front brake with a more standard brake (i.e. Shimano brake) that does away with the whole need for a cable hanger.

I wonder why your LBS won't touch a tri-bike. Tri bikes work on the same principles as all other bikes. I can appreciate if they don't feel competent enough to work on bikes, but then I don't know how they're called a bike shop:/.
Quote Reply