Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar inclination help Please!!
Quote | Reply
Bought a bike soley based on fit. Being a MOP and only able to afford one bike went for a road bike. Was fitted by a guy named Chris Nurre,great guy (and designed I believe the original fit kit 25 years ago).Everything is dialed in and the bike fits me like a glove.Heres the problem. Finally have the adapters for my C2's for 31.6 bars. Have my saddle, drop everything right but do not know what angle for the inclination. Can not get a hold of Chris, My LBS has them at 24 degrees, but this just does not look right. Can someone Please explain. The directions say start at 15 degrees. Is the lower degree stretch your back more?give better aero? How about control?How does the degree change muscle group or power. I am doing CDA and all my long rides so far have been without the bars(longest 112) not much time for me to get used the the aero position so want to do the least amount of experimenting as possible.THANKS Kenney.....Hows your training ironclm?
(58cm Klein Q-Pro-Carbon)
Last edited by: Kenney: May 22, 03 16:25
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar inclination help Please!! [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to have the bars level to a little bit down... I find that when I need to get a little bit extra into my pedal, I pull on the bars adn it helps to stabalize my upper body against my lower body and I feel like I get more power...

I think its personal preferance though, but 24 degrees sounds like too much...

My guess is the closer you have them to parallel, the more aero but not really sure...

My advice is put them where they are most comfortable, if you can't stay in the aerobars conforatbly, you aren't going to stay in them which negates their whole purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is an article on John Cobb's site titled "fit essentials" that addresses this. You can find it here:

http://www.bicyclesports.com/...iew=122948010203.xml

I have a pair of Syntace C2's on my Trek 5200, and they are set at 12* of incline per my last professional fitting. It's somewhat a matter of personal preference if you stay within Cobb's boundaries.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar inclination help Please!! [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I think I got it,will know tomorrow after my ride. Ended up at about 16 degrees.

Thanks Again Kenney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Hows your training ironclm?<<

Going well, thanks!! Great spin class tonight with a really good coach. Same guy does our track sessions. I might speed up in spite of myself this year.

Be careful the first time down on those aerobars!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar inclination help Please!! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i love spin calsses. do you set up your spin bike any diffrently the your road or tri bike?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenny, Determine the place where you prefer to grip the aero bars. Then make the angle of the aero bars such that when you grip the bars in that way, the lower edge of your forearm is parallel to the deck. For most people, that angles the bars in such a way that if you had a string between the pads and the bar at the midpoint of your handgrip, the string will be parallel to the deck +/- about 5 degrees.

What you want to avoid, according to Cobb, is angling your forearms upward, causing them to push air down to the legs, or angling them down too much, causing them to scoop air into your chest. You want the air to be able to travel straight back as much as possible.

The other thing this does is allow your triceps more equal load with your biceps in your arm leverage and stability. Angling the bars up reduces the triceps effectiveness because they are more stretched and places more stability duty on the shoulder.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar inclination help Please!! [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not Kenney, but this helps me as well. I have my bars angled upward because it's comfortable, but I'll start migrating them toward level a degree or two at a time. Maybe aerodynamic hands will make up for my extra surface area.

BTW, "the deck"? Navy or Marines?
Quote Reply