Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar arm rest slipping
Quote | Reply
I'm riding with PD T1+ Viper aerobars. No matter how hard i crank down on the arm rest bracket, if i go over a bumo with weight on it, it will slip. It's quite annoying. Any advice/ideas that do not require getting a new set of bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar arm rest slipping [jmoskovitz13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this a new problem? and does it happen at every bump?
, if the bars were fine for a long time, what changed?

Try putting a rubber shim in. An old tube might work and you won't need to fully wrap the bar. Just a half should do. It may tighten them up and grib a bit. If the screws are old, replace them and use a bit of lock tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon assembly paste?

Actually I remember reading something on here about PD acknowledging a design issue with one of their aerobar pad clamps -- not sure if it was the T1+ or not, but maybe give them a call. I recall reading something about an updated metal clamp rather than plastic...

Asad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My GF had those bars and had the same problem.

The way we fixed it was to buy a set of Vision Clip on bars and put them in their place.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar arm rest slipping [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaret, without buying a new pair. thanks though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquanet. Spray it on the inside of the clamp, torque down and let it dry; it provides enough stiction to keep the clamp from slipping.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first thoughts to fix that problem was to buy a longer bolt that holds the pad to the mount(either one will do). Space that out (down) until it contacts the base bar for support.

Her pads were right above the base bar (aluminum) so it would have worked for her, I know a lot of people don't have them right there. Maybe yours are and it may work for you.

Rather than do that I just threw $100 at the problem and solved it the other way.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've cranked on it that hard you've probably compressed the section of carbon you are clamping onto. At that point, the carbon becomes soft and basically "squishes" just enough that the clamp won't hold. I believe its a known issue with certain extensions. Contact PD and see if they will hook you up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunno if this will help:

On my Hed Vantage 8 bars, there are two bolts (one above, and one below). I used to tighten them "simultaneously" (i.e., two turns of the top, two turns of the bottom, etc).

Anyway, I found out that you should tighten the top bolt COMPLETELY (or nearly completely) first, then tighten the bottom after.

Also, use carbon assembly paste.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I just checked the PD T1 + Viper. It's not top and bottom, it's front and back. I would try tightening the front completely first, then tighten the back (and maybe do the opposite on the other bar -- then go for a ride and see which one [hopefully] doesn't slip).

FWIW, on my Hed bars, after a few months, it starts slipping again, and I just remove it, re-apply carbon paste, tighten the bolts as per the procedure above, and I'm good to go for several months again.
Last edited by: Alfalfameister: Oct 12, 11 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar arm rest slipping [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah this stuff:

http://www.bestclense.com/...ce-tube-p5663-0.html

That and a torque wrench my P2C seatpost hasnt budged a millimeter in MONTHS.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this same problem with the same setup as you. PD has a new part to replace the 2 parts that connect
the pads and bars with a single unit .The pads can't rotate now that they are fixed to the bar holders.
My Tri shop took care of the whole process and PD supplied the part for (I believe ) free. This is a
problem that they are well aware of. Hope this helps.

---

"Sometimes it's just easier to do it the hard way."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what worked for me on t2 cobra was - scarring inside of the clamp with a knife or a coarse file and then applying carbon paste... u might want to try that
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar arm rest slipping [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hairspray was awesome. they haven't budged since i applied it
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar arm rest slipping [othegrch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
othegrch wrote:
I had this same problem with the same setup as you. PD has a new part to replace the 2 parts that connect
the pads and bars with a single unit .The pads can't rotate now that they are fixed to the bar holders.
My Tri shop took care of the whole process and PD supplied the part for (I believe ) free. This is a
problem that they are well aware of. Hope this helps.

The problem with this solution is that it reduces your ability to customize the fit. You're forced to accept the pads at the angle they selected, which may or may not be most comfortable. And the pads basically sit directly over your basebar and can't be moved forward/back, which again might not be the most comfortable spot for you.

I have T1+ Viper and T2+ Cobra, each with the different setups....I've gone back to the older style interface for the adjustability.
Quote Reply