Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero skewers options?
Quote | Reply
I’m familiar with tririg and view speed. But wondering if there is a budget option?

I saw halo on amazon but are a little clunky. Does t matter to me if it’s titanium.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero skewers options? [Climb11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're aiming for low-profile, cheap and bolt on - these Delta ones got great reviews: https://amzn.to/2TbrzrC

I think these are the coolest looking though: https://www.shop.view-speed.com/...6100987115900-S4.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Aero skewers options? [Climb11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp
Quote Reply
Re: Aero skewers options? [Climb11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went through this myself, and nothing stands out. (apart from maybe DIY out of some long M5 cap head screws and mudguard washers and nuts)

Pinhead skewers are nicely shaped but still not that cheap, plus you need to carry the key.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Pinhead-Bicycle-Locking-Skewer-Pack/dp/B001Y9VNS4

also:

https://www.amazon.com.au/...er-Set/dp/B018GI8RY8

https://www.amazon.com.au/Delta-Axlerodz-Bolt-Bicycle-Skewers/dp/B000ACAMKG
Quote Reply
Re: Aero skewers options? [Climb11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a set of the Halo key skewers for a year or so. Not bad overall. Probably very, very marginally more aero than an aero quick release set. Never had any problems with slippage or anything. For under $20 I figured it was worth a shot with them.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - ATAQ Fuel
Deals on Wheels - Race reports, pictures, sponsors, and more!
Most recent blog post: Takeaways from spectating Kona 2019
Most recent video: What's the Deal with: 1x drivetrains?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero skewers options? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I used a set of the Halo key skewers for a year or so. Not bad overall. Probably very, very marginally more aero than an aero quick release set. Never had any problems with slippage or anything. For under $20 I figured it was worth a shot with them.

+1

Use and love the Halos. Cheap (much more so than things like Zipp aero QRs), reliable, light (you can remove the steel anti-spin washer if you want), lots of color options. I use them on both my road and tri bike for day-to-day (just have the allen key in my flat kit). They look sleek, match the bikes, and provide a bit of extra theft protection vs. a std quick release.

As for titanium, it is lighter and weaker than steel (both by about 40%). In theory you could make the steel rod thinner than the Ti one and weight would be about the same, but in practice they are usually the same (the steel is just overbuilt). Ti does have more of a tendency to gall Al threads, but you don't really unscrew them that often, so it may not be an issue in practice. You can wrap the threads in PTFE "plumber's tape" ($0.99 at any hardware store) for extra thread lock and galling protection.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero skewers options? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Zipp

This. I have them and they are super light. I hate the fact that most aero skewers require a hex key to remove them. Too much hassle for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero skewers options? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure but they are probably closer in to any other regular skewer in terms of aero, so OP is probably not referring to this type.

How often do you remove wheels that the hex key and additional 30 seconds are a problem? I only race with ViewSpeed/TriTig skewers and just throw on OE when I train, but I always have a hex set with me and use it maybe 1x per month, so it's not an annoyance either way
Quote Reply
Re: Aero skewers options? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
I used a set of the Halo key skewers for a year or so. Not bad overall. Probably very, very marginally more aero than an aero quick release set. Never had any problems with slippage or anything. For under $20 I figured it was worth a shot with them.


+1

Use and love the Halos. Cheap (much more so than things like Zipp aero QRs), reliable, light (you can remove the steel anti-spin washer if you want), lots of color options. I use them on both my road and tri bike for day-to-day (just have the allen key in my flat kit). They look sleek, match the bikes, and provide a bit of extra theft protection vs. a std quick release.

As for titanium, it is lighter and weaker than steel (both by about 40%). In theory you could make the steel rod thinner than the Ti one and weight would be about the same, but in practice they are usually the same (the steel is just overbuilt). Ti does have more of a tendency to gall Al threads, but you don't really unscrew them that often, so it may not be an issue in practice. You can wrap the threads in PTFE "plumber's tape" ($0.99 at any hardware store) for extra thread lock and galling protection.

Good call on the plumbers tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero skewers options? [Climb11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you still wanted the convenience of QR these Lifeline skewers are one of the aero-er options. Available from Wiggle and whatnot. I use them and they work fine, even in my shock horror gasp P3C's horizontal dropouts.



Ta, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero skewers options? [Climb11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Climb11 wrote:
I’m familiar with tririg and view speed. But wondering if there is a budget option?

I saw halo on amazon but are a little clunky. Does t matter to me if it’s titanium.

The Halos are perfect, I mean just how much do you want to spend and how much do you think they will save?

Slowtwitch Watts probably 30 Reality Watts 1.

At least it makes the bike look good, remember you need to carry a Key to get the wheel off and maybe a torque wrench is useful to check tightness!.
Quote Reply