Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aero road helmet
Quote | Reply
I am thinking to buy a new Aero Road helmet. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road helmet [rebiker17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If safety is a concern, hard to beat the Bontrager Ballista MIPS. Highest rated aero road helmet by the Virginia Tech ratings by a long shot. I think it looks fairly good as well and my wife has one and has never had a problem with heat. Supposedly tests fairly well as a bonus.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like my Giro Vanquish, much more comfortable than a full aero helmet, and the visor is high quality and stays on well. No idea how it compares aero-wise to the bontrager or specialized aero-road helmets.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontragger ballista mips. Getting a bit older now, but still very aero, and one of the safer options based on independent safety testing.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road helmet [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I really like my Giro Vanquish, much more comfortable than a full aero helmet, and the visor is high quality and stays on well. No idea how it compares aero-wise to the bontrager or specialized aero-road helmets.....

My partner and I both use the Giro Vanquish helmets. They are super comfortable, appear to be very aero, and never seem too hot, even on the hottest summer days, on rides up to 100 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried other aero road helmets but I really like my Scott Cadence. It's the most comfortable helmet I own and is well ventilated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the vanquish. Comfortable helmet with a very secure visor. It looks passable as a road helmet without the visor. Ballista seems nice too but I haven't tried that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is the detachable visor of the vanquish? Is the quality of the lens good? I use a prizm road Oakley lens sunglasses. Is it similar? Thanks guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm another fan of the Vanquish. I've had a silver mirror visor and a red mirror. Carl Zeiss has put his name on it if that means anything but I use the visor only when on the tri bike and love the quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't know if it normally falls in the aero road helmet category, but didn't the scott cadence plus test very well aerodynamically? so well that kienle even wore it for kona one year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have the brontrager ballista MIPS very satisfied with it. It is atleast a cheaper option that the Giro one mentioned in this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Abus game changer, really a great helmet and it looks good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use the Bontrager Ballista and love it. I wore it during Ironman 70.3 in Augusta this year... high of 97 and humid. The heat did get me, but definitely not from the helmet. Head felt great, good ventilation channels.
Last edited by: Dan94: Dec 19, 19 4:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a vanquish for IMAZ, love it. Very comfortable, visor is great, and looks pretty stylish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d say the three that have been discussed are probably the top three in terms of comfort, aeroness and looks. And check out that safety test mentioned if you care about safety testing too (although I don’t think vanquish and cadence were tested but I could be wrong). Can’t really go wrong with any of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Evade II.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contrary to everyone else, I didn't like the Vanquish. It ran a bit large and the visor was annoying for me. Similarly, the Specialized Evade just felt big and bulky.

My top choices for pure aero helmets would be the Balista, Oakley Aro 5, or POC Octal Aero. I currently ride a Smith Overtake though for a combo of some aero-ness, MIPs technology, and comfort.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road helmet [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Specialized Evade II.

Evade runs small. My size is medium, but I have to wear large for Evade.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road helmet [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Evade II - its my everyday road bike helmet and I have yet to find a temperature too hot for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Kask Utopia. Minor quible, the internal pads dig into my forehead if I tighten it too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road helmet [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot about the Evade. Definitely should be in that same grouping!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any thoughts on the Poc Ventral Air Spin? Newer helmet that they claim is an optimal balance of aero, safety and ventilation. Not much talk about this helmet on ST though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've adopted my Giro Vanquish for everyday riding on both the Trek SC and the Trek Domane - I have a Giro Aerohead for race day.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road helmet [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out lazer century MIPS, top 3 road helmet on virginia tech rankings. Has top cover that can be flipped for aero or ventilation and built in LED.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road helmet [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like my MET Manta, fits my large egg shaped head nicely.
Quote Reply

Prev Next