Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero positioning handling tips or advice?
Quote | Reply
I have a new Cervelo P-series, and was fitted with a very experienced and reputable regional fitter. I've had the bike on a trainer for a few months, and everything feels comfortable in the aero bars. I just got it outside for the first time in the last couple of weeks, and handling it in aero position is very stressful! I had previously been on a road bike with clip on aero bars. Overall I'm not an experienced cyclist- I come from an ultrarunning background mostly. I expected the aero handling of the new real tri bike to be better than the road bike with clip ons, but it seems twitchier even in perfect conditions and doesn't want to hold a straight line easily. Riding it I have so much tension in my hands/arms/back trying to keep us upright that I get cramps.

Probably my problems are all due to inexperience, and will get better with time. But, are there any tips people have for how I might improve the stability of my setup and/or my handling skills in the aero position?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero positioning handling tips or advice? [IM-Yeti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems silly, but relax! On my first ride it took me an hour or so to get settled in, but I found a long, straight flatish bit of road after that first bit and then relaxed into it and became comfortable really quickly once I realised; Hang on this was pretty sweet when I was relaxed in.
also try to not grip the end of the extensions or steer with them, but instead steer with your elbows in the pads and have the weight and control through the pads rather than the extensions as its much more planted and controls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM-Yeti wrote:
I have a new Cervelo P-series, and was fitted with a very experienced and reputable regional fitter. I've had the bike on a trainer for a few months, and everything feels comfortable in the aero bars. I just got it outside for the first time in the last couple of weeks, and handling it in aero position is very stressful! I had previously been on a road bike with clip on aero bars. Overall I'm not an experienced cyclist- I come from an ultrarunning background mostly. I expected the aero handling of the new real tri bike to be better than the road bike with clip ons, but it seems twitchier even in perfect conditions and doesn't want to hold a straight line easily. Riding it I have so much tension in my hands/arms/back trying to keep us upright that I get cramps.

Probably my problems are all due to inexperience, and will get better with time. But, are there any tips people have for how I might improve the stability of my setup and/or my handling skills in the aero position?

It's impossible to tell from what you've relayed here if that's just inexperience or a poor fit.

But a P-series should *want* to go in a straight line - should not be twitchy at all. And you should be able to hold a straight line in the absence of significant crosswind while your entire upper body is almost completely relaxed. For me, it's more relaxing than having my hands in the bullhorns. You should have strong leverage over the steering axis of the bike by holding lightly onto the extensions and having your elbows (or entire forearm is becoming more common) snugly contained by the pads.

Pictures/video might help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also suggest finding a big open parking lot and practice doing big figure 8s and imaginary slalom courses to get used to how the bike feels when changing direction...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your fit numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds very much like my first few times riding in the TT position. I have never ridden a road bike with extensions, so I have nothing to compare to. My advice is get several rides on the bike (at least 5) and see how it feels then. I would swerve all over my lane in aero and be a little tense every time I assumed the position. Then after my first few rides, it became natural.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is totally normal. Like others have said, find a nice quiet place to ride and RELAX into the arm pads and "steer" with your elbows. She will feel twitchy for a bit because you are over the front wheel but I literally would speak to myself to relaxxxxxx. I still ride in windy conditions as if I'm riding a sail, which I heard somewhere! It's just a matter of practice! You will get the hang of it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The road bike will be more stable since your weight is probably distributed further back (even w/clipons) compared to the tri bike.

As folks have mentioned it's just a matter of spending some time getting used to the position. One way to adjust is to spend some time in an intermediate position "choked up" on the extensions with your forearms on the pads (LeMond below is the best example I could find). This helps you get used to the narrow position while not putting as much weight on the front wheel. Slide your grip forward as you get more comfortable with the handling.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero positioning handling tips or advice? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to take the controversial opinion of saying get off the indoor trainer and ride it outdoors.

Butt time in saddle…..outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero positioning handling tips or advice? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I am going to take the controversial opinion of saying get off the indoor trainer and ride it outdoors.

To add... when I first got a TT bike I was able to go ride it a couple of times at a small motor racing circuit. That was great as of course the tarmac is nice with no bomb craters that we have on local roads, no twats in panzerwagons or white vans able kill me, etc.
It was a 'park' course, so had some lumps and bends to change dirrction, uphill, downhill, off camber etc.
Did cost much to go and we'll worth it.

Highly recommended if you can.
(Just be aware on wet days motor circuits cN he really slippery due to spilled oils etc..but in the dry they're great)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

I did take it off the trainer. Outdoors. Hence the thread, about handling my bike outdoors that had formerly been on the trainer. ???

Anyway, thank you all for the perspective and advice. I'm slowly starting to get more comfortable, less tight and stressed. Long way to go though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM-Yeti wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

I did take it off the trainer. Outdoors. Hence the thread, about handling my bike outdoors that had formerly been on the trainer. ???

Anyway, thank you all for the perspective and advice. I'm slowly starting to get more comfortable, less tight and stressed. Long way to go though.

The reason Jim above asked for your fit numbers is to see if he could from those ascertain if you possibly have a fit-induced handling problem.

I was implying that despite you being outside on it now, you seem to have expected the bike handling to take care of itself. And that something else is the problem. Nothing else is the problem other than you need to stay outside on it to gain the handling skills necessary. It isn't an instant thing.

Kind of like somebody who buys a full suspension 29er. Just having the equipment to handle trails doesn't mean you'll be ripping it up after limited time doing it. Takes time.

It isn't like cyclocross where we can prescribe you specific drills to go do, like dismounts, remounts, uphill carries, jumping barriers, off camber cornering, weight on the inside hand and outside pedal, tripod it around a slick corner, etc......

A tri bike isn't like that. Once the fit is there, it's just the miles and hours. So, stay outdoors to accumulate the miles and hours.

Maybe the only similar advice as to the cyclocross drills would be to "ease" into it. Flat, simple, windless rides at first. Then add one "evil" at a time. Big downhills. Or corners in aero. Or a windy day. Don't throw all of them at yourself at once.

That's all we've got really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
IM-Yeti wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

The reason Jim above asked for your fit numbers is to see if he could from those ascertain if you possibly have a fit-induced handling problem.

I was implying that despite you being outside on it now, you seem to have expected the bike handling to take care of itself. And that something else is the problem. Nothing else is the problem other than you need to stay outside on it to gain the handling skills necessary. It isn't an instant thing.

Kind of like somebody who buys a full suspension 29er. Just having the equipment to handle trails doesn't mean you'll be ripping it up after limited time doing it. Takes time.

It isn't like cyclocross where we can prescribe you specific drills to go do, like dismounts, remounts, uphill carries, jumping barriers, off camber cornering, weight on the inside hand and outside pedal, tripod it around a slick corner, etc......

A tri bike isn't like that. Once the fit is there, it's just the miles and hours. So, stay outdoors to accumulate the miles and hours.

Maybe the only similar advice as to the cyclocross drills would be to "ease" into it. Flat, simple, windless rides at first. Then add one "evil" at a time. Big downhills. Or corners in aero. Or a windy day. Don't throw all of them at yourself at once.

And that is exactly the kind of insight I needed to feel comfortable with the situation- knowing this is typical growing pains and will improve with time and experience. Thank you. But damn I wish it wasn't always so windy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM-Yeti wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
IM-Yeti wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

And that is exactly the kind of insight I needed to feel comfortable with the situation- knowing this is typical growing pains and will improve with time and experience. Thank you. But damn I wish it wasn't always so windy!

You can do it!

I'm not a naturally agile person. In the house I'm the person who trips on junk and stubs their toe. Or tries to hope the front steps in socks, misses, and bangs up their shins.

So, if I can get to the point I can rip around a TT bike on curvy and hilly rides......you can someday too.

I did have an excess reach fit issues on my original TT bike setup way back when I first had it. Made it a bit twitchier. So, something to look out for. But a picture would usually reveal that right away (think superman).
Quote Reply