Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero penalty of raising pads?
Quote | Reply
About 7 years ago I was hit by a car resulting in my face being smashed up and surgically reconstructed. Part of that effort was placing my right eye in a little titanium 'egg basket' replacing my shattered orbital bone. The plastic surgeon did a bang up job, but the result is that my right eye sits a smidge lower than my left. Last year, after years of struggles attempting to address the resulting double vision, I was fitted with special contact lenses with built in prism, which fix the double vision, most of the time.

Last winter I finally had my tri bike (P4) properly fitted, after years of sub-optimal positioning. The result was that my saddle was moved up by quite a bit, and my bars slammed down as low as they could go. And this is great. I go much faster on lower Watts. So that's good.

Last week I raced the duathlon AG Worlds in Denmark. And there I found out that after riding in aero for about 30 minutes I start to see double (from craning my neck in order to see), which I had to clear by sitting up for a second or so. After 45 minutes sitting up didn't immediately clear it and I had to sit up longer. After 50 minutes (of about 58) I basically had to ride on the horns the whole time (also because at that point we rode through an industrial part of town with shitty roads and lots of curves).

Reason I didn't experience this before is that Denmark is much flatter than where I usually ride in Ontario - I wouldn't know where around here I could ride in aero for 45 minutes without being killed interrupted by traffic and nasty steep hiils.

My question now is - what to do about this? I'm planning to return to triathlon next year, because I really want to race that Muskoka 70.3 I didn't get to do 7 years ago because I was in the trauma ward with a broken neck and smashed up face when the gun went off, so I need to be able to ride in an aero-like position for longer than an hour. I see my options as
  • Ride in aero on the trainer more, i.e. apply more mental toughness and don't effing sit up as often - a good option, but I'm not sure my problem is one of adaptation

• Look down instead of ahead more, i.e. apply more mental toughness and don't be afraid to be run over or hit a pothole - also a good option but I'm not sure I can do that. That damned accident still leaves its marks on my psyche. And you have to look every now and then, don't you? Because cars and potholes are things?

• Move my pads up a bit so I don't have to crane so much to see. This will however have an aero penalty, and I'll still have to figure out how much higher I need to go to have an optimal aero-don't see double trade-off.

What say you, ST?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero penalty of raising pads? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By all means test it out on the trainer to see if it goes away. Otherwise raise your pads! Do not look down or you’ll likely have another accident. Some people actually find a cm or two up is actually faster because they can lower there head better and see without having a periscope head.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Jul 16, 18 16:35
Quote Reply
Re: Aero penalty of raising pads? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
By all means test it out on the trainer to see if it goes away. Otherwise raise your pads! Do not look down or you’ll likely have another accident. Some people actually find a cm or two up is actually faster because they can lower there head better and see without having a periscope head.

Interesting observation.

I'll try to HTFU on the trainer over the winter and see where that gets me. I'm redoing my pain cave and will make sure the computer screen is angled correctly simulating the road up ahead.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After my last bike fit, where I got a lot more aggressive on the front end drop, I had the same experience with blurring and double vision after a couple of hours. I raised the front end 1cm and it was much better. I think I may ultimately be able to get my back, head and neck into a better position to not have to strain my eyes as much, but it will involve rotating my hips more, which will involve a new saddle so that's one of my offseason projects. For now, I'm OK being not-quite as aero in exchange for being able to see where I'm going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, for me I moved and I was faster in the following wind tunnel trip. I do consider myself to be anomaly and I have extremely long legs. In all the years, the only person that really looked at me ride and said I need to be more upright was John Cobb, which is odd, because he is notorious for slamming people but he was very adamant having me be more upright.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There have been cases where increasing pad height leads to a decrease in drag. It's not always about being lower.
Given that you have having the issues you are, I wouldn't doubt that moving up will be beneficial for both your symptoms and your drag.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, lower is not always faster. Crashing is sure fire way to go slow and the distraction of dealing with other issues/problems while riding also slows you down.

Well done on getting back to it and enjoying the training and racing. Stay safe and have fun.

Keep in mind the larger the change to position the longer required to adapt. Some positions are not adaptable for some.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I've got fused vertebrae between C2-C3. As a result, the aero position is just a bitch. I can stay aero and look down (very unsafe) or crane my neck and try to look down the road...incurring major neck/shoulder pain after about 20 minutes. My only real choice was to get the biggest risers I could buy for my T3 aerobars. It lifts me about 2 inches up off the bars. Yes, I'm out of optimal aero position, but it's still significantly better than sitting up on the hoods (which I've been able to test and document quite clearly with my power meter).

That said, even with the pad lift I still have pain issues while in aero I've been able to gain a bit flexibility through the HTFU method but I still have issues after about 45 minutes in aero. For me it is likely to be a lifelong problem that will always make the aero position a painful ride. Good luck.
Quote Reply