Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero penalty of goggles?
Quote | Reply
Tried a new pair of goggles in the pool yesterday. (Aqua sphere) When I pushed off the wall, and I don’t push hard, I could feel the water pressure against the top of my goggles. If I would’ve pushed as hard as I could, I think my goggles would’ve come off. So if my goggles are catching water, they’re slowing me down, right? As far as I know, nobody talks about the aero effect of goggles. Does anyone know how much of a difference between an aero and un aero would make? 1 sec per 100m?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero penalty of goggles? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim 100 with goggles.

Now swim 100 without.

Repeat in open water.

Which was faster?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re really worried about the goggles flipping off when you’re going fast, or catching drag, stretch your cap over the top of your goggles. Or buy smaller goggles. The Fishies who post here can recommend their favorites ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing goggles (Vanquishers, Swedes, Cobras, etc.) are typically low profile for both hydrodynamics and the decreased likelihood of leaking when you dive in off the blocks.

The actual amount they are faster compared to one another is probably minimal. Speedo, Nike, etc. talk about their top offerings being super low drag, but no figures are quoted.

Goggles like the Aqua Sphere Kaiman, Keyanne, TYR SpecOps, etc. are typically referred to as “training” or “open water” goggles. They are larger, generally more comfortable to wear for long periods, and have greater fields of vision. Personally I have found that goggles have improved so much over the years that I have no problems training in “racing” goggles. For me that’s the Aqua Sphere K180, and the Vanquisher 2. Best of both worlds.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you may have discovered the reason Mark Spitz was so fast, LOL!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warning - Scientific asshat comment: Its Hydro, not Aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero penalty of goggles? [oakie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to say the same thing, but didn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oakie wrote:

I love ST haha

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oakie wrote:

Warning - Grammatical asshat comment: It’s it’s, not its.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero penalty of goggles? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
oakie wrote:

Warning - Grammatical asshat comment: It’s it’s, not its.

I was about to correct both of them.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
Tried a new pair of goggles in the pool yesterday. (Aqua sphere) When I pushed off the wall, and I don’t push hard, I could feel the water pressure against the top of my goggles. If I would’ve pushed as hard as I could, I think my goggles would’ve come off. So if my goggles are catching water, they’re slowing me down, right? As far as I know, nobody talks about the aero effect of goggles. Does anyone know how much of a difference between an aero and un aero would make? 1 sec per 100m?

now that the grammar police are done, I doubt that any difference in hydrodynamic drag is going to actually be measurable in the pool, since there's also the psychological effect of worrying about whether the goggles are going to come off. That's a big reason I continue to use swedes, I simply don't worry about them. the other ones I never worry about are Speedo Speed Sockets (as long as they're a fresh pair). Those work for me, other people have other preferences, but having goggles that you can simply forget about is priceless, well worth the $15 that my swedes cost me. (yes, I can find them cheaper but after factoring in shipping or minimum orders, $20 for a 2 pack of swedes and a couple of $5 bungee straps is the best deal)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s probably more what your head angle is. Racers dive off of blocks without their goggles slipping off. Why? Their heads are tucked down, limiting the force of water on their goggles. Same during a push off the wall and while actually swimming.
I’d say, if you feel pressure on your goggles, you’re looking too forward.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you watch a video of sun yang (i know i know).... Then you see long water silver trails behind each goggle. If it was vacuums, these lower pressure areas might show trailing areas of low pressure causing suction in the wrong direction so then arena cobras could solve thatm. But in water it looks like this could be acting like a trip wire and generate a vortex that reduces water friction (like on fast material jammers that look like mercury while moving)

But youre right, goggles dislodging would lose a lot of time,so straps under cap
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Mar 9, 20 6:58
Quote Reply