Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero helmet without eyeshield?
Quote | Reply
I know that the LG Prologue hasn't gotten the highest reviews areo-wise, but is it even worse (or any helmet for that matter) without the eyeshield or is the eyeshield not a huge part of the areo factor?

chris

"You can quit, and no one will care if you do. But you will know."
~John Collins, Ironman founder

Member HED Mafia
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet without eyeshield? [christian1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone?

Member HED Mafia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The eyeshields on all (i think?) aero helmets are removable - see the pictures of the pro men's field at kona this year. Jonnyo was the only one with the eyeshield on and he was all embarrassed about it when someone posted the pictures.
That said, I would think that the eyeshield is a little more aerodynamic than a pair of sunglasses. It would also alleviate the problem of having the top part of your sunglass frame obscure your vision when you are in the aero position.
If you want a really awesome looking eyeshield, the people who make titanflex bikes used to make one that would attach (with duct tape, i think) to more or less any helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet without eyeshield? [MuffinTop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OH YES---- http://www.ttinet.com/...ducts-airoseries.htm

chris

Member HED Mafia
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet without eyeshield? [MuffinTop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never looked for data on eye shields but I use one with my LG Rocket. The helmet feels much less ventilated with the eye shield on so I've always hoped that meant less drag. I don't use the eye shield when it is real warm as it just feels too hot.

Jason
Dig It Triathlon and Multisport
http://www.digittri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Prologue without the visor since it doesn't fit over my prescription glasses. The helmet is still faster than a conventional helmet, in every test I've done.
at a rough guess I'd imagine the visor helps a bit, but I can't see that its absence would be a major influence. however aero is a black art at best, without wind-tunnel tests on a variety of faces and helmets we're just guessing..
Quote Reply