Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero helmet vs Aero road helmet
Quote | Reply
I'm selling my Giro selector, mostly because I just want to switch things up and get a less dorky looking aero helmet. I find the selector kind of bulbus and a little heavy.

I'm debating on replacing it with either a new aero helmet like the lazer wasp air, giro aerohead or POC cerebral. At the same time I'm thinking that an aero-road helmet like the giro vanquish, Scott Cadence or the new specialized evade 2

I already have a giro synthe as my day to day helmet so a pure aero helmet for races kind of makes sense. I just feel bad because I hardly used my Giro Selector apart from races and I don't want to pick up a $300 helmet just to wear 1-2 times a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet vs Aero road helmet [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same question a few weeks back, and ended up buying a scott cadence plus at a discount. I chose it because because I'll wear it every ride, not only during race day, and if its good enough for Kienle its good enough for me :)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet vs Aero road helmet [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts too. I wanted a Vanquish but considering everywhere I look it's more expensive than the aerohead it had me thinking twice. Like, why have an aero-road helmet when I can get a Aerohead and use my synth. I like the idea of snapping the visor on/off to put it in "race mode" but when I look on used sites and see an aerohead going for $200 I think twice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought about it too, but pricing made the final decision. Ultimately the Aerohead should be faster. If I didn't have a road helmet that I liked, then maybe. but I like my road helmet and really just needed the race helmet. So saving money, and being faster seemed like a no-brainer.

but I do admit that I really liked the Vanquish. They did a good job looks wise with the visor for a race, but looking perfectly fine without it as if it never had the visor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
I had the same question a few weeks back, and ended up buying a scott cadence plus at a discount. I chose it because because I'll wear it every ride, not only during race day, and if its good enough for Kienle its good enough for me :)

I've got the Cadence Plus, too. It is super comfortable - I like it much better than my regular road helmet.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just tested the Scott cadence at A2

At zero it was a good helmet with marginal losses over the aerohead

At yaw , it was not good for me - 15 watts slower
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet vs Aero road helmet [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
I just tested the Scott cadence at A2

At zero it was a good helmet with marginal losses over the aerohead

Wow, that's huge. I never imagined anything on its own - except position - could make such a huge difference.

At what speed was it measured ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually just looking as had no time to review the data in detail yet - it’s over 10 but not 15 I believe

Tested at 30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At what angle of yaw was that high of a watts difference measured?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet vs Aero road helmet [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-7.5 ask me how I know hahaha!

Look folks in the aero hierarchy to go fast almost universally it's aero helmets > aero road helmets > normal road helmets. Sure at some point you're getting cross over from shitty aero helmets and the good aero road helmets and for maybe < 5% of you an aero road helmet might be your fastest helmet.

The real question is are you willing to bet you are in that 5%?

This does not hold true for M45-49, you guys should always race in normal road helmets if I'm in the race. Or Rudy wingspans haha, actually I don't kid on this, please, please M45-49 use a road helmet or a wingspan, please. I need all the help I can get!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 19, 18 9:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Actually just looking as had no time to review the data in detail yet - it’s over 10 but not 15 I believe

Tested at 30

so you see 15w more power needed to maintain speed with 30deg yaw angle wind vs coming straight at you? your longitudinal force vector is 14% less just from the wind angle. i cant imagine your Cd falls apart that bad at only a 30 deg angle.

i presume this was done in a wind tunnel or something with a controlled environment? are you able to share the data/results?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet vs Aero road helmet [evokevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only people that test at 30degrees and higher that I know of are Edco wheels.

Yes his testing was done at A2 wind tunnel

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet vs Aero road helmet [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brian !

You can see I had no idea what I was talking about :) trying to be helpful for others

Still can’t get over my Giro shoes vs my old shimanos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Thanks Brian !

You can see I had no idea what I was talking about :) trying to be helpful for others

Still can’t get over my Giro shoes vs my old shimanos

its only helpful if you provide insight into the testing conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re welcome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
evokevin wrote:
UKINNY wrote:

Tested at 30

so you see 15w more power needed to maintain speed with 30deg yaw angle wind vs coming straight at you? your longitudinal force vector is 14% less just from the wind angle. i cant imagine your Cd falls apart that bad at only a 30 deg angle.

i presume this was done in a wind tunnel or something with a controlled environment? are you able to share the data/results?

"Tested at 30" meant that the speed tested at was 30 mph. Not 30 degrees of yaw. So at 30 mph, with -7.5 degrees of yaw, it took 10-15 more watts to maintain that speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So just turn your head 15dg into the wind... presto!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet vs Aero road helmet [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know anyone who has tested with the Vanquish? Similar results to the Scott w/glasses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]its only helpful if you provide insight into the testing conditions.[/quote]

Like this post in this thread: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6612602#p6612602

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet vs Aero road helmet [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
****Do you know anyone who has tested with the Vanquish? Yes

I point you back to this: "almost universally it's aero helmets > aero road helmets > normal road helmets. "

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet vs Aero road helmet [LundyLund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LundyLund wrote:
strangename wrote:

I've got the Cadence Plus, too. It is super comfortable - I like it much better than my regular road helmet.

Same here. I was looking between Aero vs. Aero Road and ended up with a Cadence Plus. It's comfortable and I wear it for almost every ride now... but one of the factors in my decision was that the Oakley ARO 7 wasn't out yet. I may reevaluate when I get a chance to try one on :-D

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:

So ride faster and reduce that yaw. :-)

I switched to an aero road helmet years ago as I have some neck issues (probably from getting hit in a car accident).
I tend to ride head down (as safely as possible), and find also that a lighter helmet means less neck aggravation.
Looking at an Abus Gamechanger this year maybe.
Quote Reply