Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero helmet recommendation for Time Trial
Quote | Reply
Looking to get a new aero helmet that is strictly for time trials, not triathlon. So 20k ~ 40k max. I'm thinking ventilation is not important. Also, some helmets are more sensitive to an individual's fit / position and can be either fast or slow whereas other helmets seem to be more uniformly fast. I'd like to have something that's a bit more uniformly fast as I'm going to be adjusting position a bit the first half of the season. What would be the good options currently?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet recommendation for Time Trial [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A kask bambino or a poc cerabel are good options

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LG P09, Giro Advantage 2 or Aerohead, Specialized TT, Bell Javelin, to name a few.

Best to get one that fits you well and doesn't create extra frontal area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome to check out my Giro Aerohead to see how it feels/fits, etc. I've done 20K TT and basically every triathlon distance with it. Works great for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerohead is good but in my experience sensitive. Less sensitive to position option for me is Bell Javelin. If it’s snug then there is a good chance it’s going to be quick. It’s also affordable.

Obviously I’m gojng to say that testing is the way forward!

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet recommendation for Time Trial [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
LG P09, Giro Advantage 2 or Aerohead, Specialized TT, Bell Javelin, to name a few.

Best to get one that fits you well and doesn't create extra frontal area.

I've got the Giro. It's "ok" for me. I find the fit of it on the scalp/head makes it so that before you get off you have to push it too high back on your head in the "safety vs. function" placement of the helmet.

I do find it to be pretty aero for my setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet recommendation for Time Trial [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The POC Cerebel is definitely a candidate just based on how it looks (simple!) and another one I'm actually really interested in is the Rudy Project Boost Pro though it's not yet sold in the US so chances are it's technically not CSPC approved yet. Kask Bambino Pro also looks great but has some really weird pricing (some colors $200 more than others?! )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to Jim@ERO the aerohead ultimate (the expensive one with no vents) is clearly the fastest helmet. If you don’t mind the cost, since you are doing short races this is prob the helmet to get.

After that, the aerohead, p09, Oakley, and a few others are close to each others.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet recommendation for Time Trial [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update - pulled the plug on a POC Cerebel. It was on my short list and after checking with a cousin who races with it and loves it, I decided to go that route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro Selector. You can get them for a song.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet recommendation for Time Trial [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Giro Selector. You can get them for a song.

Not a bad budget option, and pretty fast but not as good as the best newer helmets. I field tested my older Selector against the P09 that I replaced it with, and came up with approx. a one minute savings over a half iron bike course. It's also quite a bit lighter which makes it more comfortable to wear.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet recommendation for Time Trial [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One minute, really? That seems like a lot.

So the following are the top three right now:

Louis Garneau p-09
POC Cerebel
Giro Aerohead

Are there any helmets that I am missing?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet recommendation for Time Trial [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
One minute, really? That seems like a lot.

So the following are the top three right now:

Louis Garneau p-09
POC Cerebel
Giro Aerohead

Are there any helmets that I am missing?

Smith Podium TT. I can't comment on how aero/fast it is (not much data) but it is the most comfortable and "cool" TT helmet I have used. Aerohead was too heavy for me so it is just sitting on the shelf.

Quote | Reply
I love my Giro Selector but its approaching 8 years old. I do not love the look of the smith...but that shouldn’t matter. I should care about nothing but performance. However, psychology impacts performance.

“Look good, feel good, play good”, as my college hockey girls used to say when I was coaching.
Quote Reply