Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aero helmet efficiency
Quote | Reply
I'm an old guy just trying to pick up a little time in Sprint and Oly tri's. I average 21mph in Sprints and 20 in Oly's. I would like to know if there would be any gains I could expect by wearing an aero helmet? I have heard that it's the best bang for your dollar, but would like to hear Slowtwitcher's opinions.
Last edited by: xdays: Aug 13, 19 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [xdays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xdays wrote:
I would like to know if there would be any gains I could expect by wearing an aero helmet?.

Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
xdays wrote:
I would like to know if there would be any gains I could expect by wearing an aero helmet?.

Yes.
[/Thread]

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, an aero helmet makes a big difference... It could be as much as 0.5 MPH.

That, and good quality sleeved tri suit has a huge impact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no minimum speed to get aero gains. At 20mph the time savings from an aero helmet is actually greater than at 25mph (the % savings is smaller, but the absolute saving is greater because the bike takes longer).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Position
2. Clothing
3. Tires and tubes

xdays wrote:
I'm an old guy just trying to pick up a little time in Sprint and Oly tri's. I average 21mph in Sprints and 20 in Oly's. I would like to know if there would be any gains I could expect by wearing an aero helmet? I have heard that it's the best bang for your dollar, but would like to hear Slowtwithcher's opinions.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What tires and tubes are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What tires and tubes are you using?

I'm using GP 4000 S and Conti tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to switch to latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
1. Position
2. Clothing
3. Tires and tubes.

Do you count the helmet as part of item 2 'clothing' ? I assume you do, but wanted to confirm.
If so is the pecking order suit, then helmet , or helmet then suit, (vs a big standard sleeveless tri suit or road cycle jersey and standard road helmet ?)

I realise there's lots of potential variables in that lot, and may depend on exact position onnthe bike. But as a broad-brush rule-of-thumb?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your baseline is a typical sleeveless trisuit and a ventilated road helmet, then the aero helmet is the bigger gain.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
If your baseline is a typical sleeveless trisuit and a ventilated road helmet, then the aero helmet is the bigger gain.

General consensus seems to be that an aero helmet would definitely provide me with some benefit...even at my power deficient old age :}, so what are some helmets I should look to purchase? Can't justify spending a ton of cash, something priced for a social security type budget would be welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bell Javelin and Giro Advantage 2 are frequently on sale for under $100 and are probably in 90th percentile of performance. I got my Javelin for $80 from Nashbar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rudy usually has deep sales and you can snag an aero helmet for half off

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife bought a Giro Advantage 2 for $60, new.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
My wife bought a Giro Advantage 2 for $60, new.

Amazing...Amazon is selling them for $200!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sometimes you can find them for dirt cheap, but its usually a random color and small from my experience and then they go quick. I was in a similar boat where all I had was a standard road helmet and was searching through classifieds but grabbed an unused Kask k.31 still in the box for 40 bucks. May not be the best for me, but it was cheap and better than my road helmet (I hope).

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you fit a small, R&A has both the Javelin & Advantage on sale for $70-$80. The sales pop in and out on these two.

https://www.racycles.com/...8EAkYASABEgJi6PD_BwE
https://www.racycles.com/...DEAYYAiABEgKC-PD_BwE
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but he would defeat much of the “aero gains” he is seeking by making such a purchase. Without testing I would stick with this list..,
Javelin
Advantage 2 (considering prices go as low as like $25 on eBay, this is probably best bang for buck)
P09 (I hated it-didn’t fit me well but works well for many)
Aerohead (if you want to spend a bit more)
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 14, 19 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xdays wrote:
I'm an old guy just trying to pick up a little time in Sprint and Oly tri's. I average 21mph in Sprints and 20 in Oly's. I would like to know if there would be any gains I could expect by wearing an aero helmet? I have heard that it's the best bang for your dollar, but would like to hear Slowtwitcher's opinions.

I'm a helmet guy and own about 10 helmets. Bontrager, Kask, Uvex, LG, Giro...etc.
If you want the aero helmet, get Giro Aerohead. Other helmets are not easy to put it on, but all you need is like 2-5 seconds for Aerohead. Please don't buy ugly ass Rudy helmet. They are out of style and I can't stand the design. To put Rudy aero helmet on, you have to open up wide and squeeze your head in. Most aero helmets cover ears, but on Aerohead, visor covers ears, so it's much easier to put on and comfortable. Just trust me and buy Aerohead, you won't regret.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any love here for the SLS3 aero helmet? I really like mine

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
Any love here for the SLS3 aero helmet? I really like mine

It would seem to me that any gain received using this type helmet would be negated by the time taken to put on and then remove the eye shield. I'm talking short course here.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
xdays wrote:

I'm a helmet guy and own about 10 helmets. Bontrager, Kask, Uvex, LG, Giro...etc.
If you want the aero helmet, get Giro Aerohead. Other helmets are not easy to put it on, but all you need is like 2-5 seconds for Aerohead. Please don't buy ugly ass Rudy helmet. They are out of style and I can't stand the design. To put Rudy aero helmet on, you have to open up wide and squeeze your head in. Most aero helmets cover ears, but on Aerohead, visor covers ears, so it's much easier to put on and comfortable. Just trust me and buy Aerohead, you won't regret.

The Arrowhead is definitely on my short list. Thanks for the feedback!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

I have a P09 and it gave me headaches due to the fit. There were a few high spots that pressed into my head. I shaved those down with sandpaper and now it's comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero helmet efficiency [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

I have a P09 and it gave me headaches due to the fit. There were a few high spots that pressed into my head. I shaved those down with sandpaper and now it's comfortable.

The biggest problem with P-09 is when the visor is down, air comes in through the gap so my eyes get dry. I wear contacts and this really bothers me. It’s not easy to put on either. For the Sprint and Olympic distance, Aerohead is way to go. My T1 and T2 time is usually within 40-50 seconds and helmet helps me a lot. Most of all, when you have head wind, tuck in and you can tell you are getting the aero benefits from the helmet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next