Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero handlebars? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - the aero gains from an aero handlebar are real, which get even better if you don't put bar wrap on the tops and hide all the cables. Whether it's worth the cost is up to the individual. I wouldn't buy a carbon bar for weight savings though.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero handlebars? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I have been eyeing RXL bars - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TXF3DR9/
Anyone used them? They look real good and have a ton of good reviews on Amazon.....

I installed RXL carbon aero road bike bars on my road bike 2 years ago. Yes, I'm aware of the risks and total lack of customer service when you buy something like this - it's literally hope for the best, but get ready to lose all your money if something goes wrong.

That said, my carbon bar has had zero problems. Still looks new and really sharp, structurally intact, and subjectively slightly more comfortable. I actually wasn't as worried about the watt savings since I've got all the cables still running all over, but I do use the internal cable routing of the bars.

Not sure what pricing is now, but back when I got the bar, the next cheapest carbon bar was north of $250, and I think I paid around $40 for the RXL.

I ended up putting RXL XL base+aerobars on my TT bike as well, which have also worked totally fine, although it's not as position-adjustable as the top-end ones, and I had to make my own aerobar pad replacements since RXL didn't sell replacements.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero handlebars? [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just built a Allez Sprint road bike and chose Profile Design's DRV/Aeroa aluminum bars in 36cm/105 drop. They retail for about $85.

To me, the oval cross-section and the narrowness were key factors for comfort and aero, with the shallow drop being a slight bonus.

I don't particularly buy that narrow makes it harder to breathe or is any less comfortable, and I'm 6' tall. The shallow 105mm drop also works out well because I'm already running a pretty aggressive stack height.

I probably won't be benchmarking these in any rigorous way, but I think the narrowness and slight oval top, price, and aluminum make it punch way above its price point, since my next choice would have been an Enve SES Aero Road bars at $400. I think if your bars aren't narrow, you aren't even in the aero game...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 3T Aerotundo LTD's in 38cm on my Blue AC-1 and put bar tape only on the drops not on the top. They came in 203 grams. I have 3T Areonova LTD on my Litespeed T3 disc and they came in at 192 grams in 38cm. The feel faster but so do the 38mm carbon aero rims I ride on both bikes. While the Blue AC1 is a more aero frame and I usually ride faster on it, I just love the ride of my Litespeed T3 disc. I just ordered some 55mm are rims from Farsports to get the T3 closer to the AC1 in speed.
Last edited by: Juanmoretime: Dec 3, 20 3:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
I too would rather stick with alloy bars. However, your post makes no mention of aerodynamics; just appearance, weight, comfort, stiffness, and cost. While light and attractive are preferable, I really care about 4 things in this order: safety, comfort, drag & cost. The safety aspect is probably debatable, but I think I'd rather alloy bars in that respect. I think they're less likely to sustain significant damage or have manufacturing defects without you noticing. Comfort will be very user specific so no point getting into any details here. There is a lot of potential for drag reduction over conventional round bars, and while hydroformed alloy tubes are being shaped far more extensively now than in the past, carbon still offers more opportunity to optimise shape. I would expect you could reasonably easily use an aerodynamic handlebar to outperform deep section wheels when calculating performance gain versus cost.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Savings of going from a round top section to an aero top section is about the same as going from something like a front wheel going from Flo30/Zipp 101 to a Flo60/ Zipp 404/ Jet 6.

So not quite there wrt watts saved by an entire wheelset, but that cost/saving ratio really is a lot better than what wheels provide.

A decent round handlebar is $75; a decent aero road bar is $300; watt saving is ~5. $225 for 5 watts

A decent 30 mm wheelset is ~$550; a decent 60 mm all-carbon wheelset is ~$1300 (I'm thinking Flo here). $750 for 8 watts. Gets a lot more expensive if one were buying other brands.

When companies quote ~5 watts for an aero bar vs a round bar they are talking about testing without the rider at 40-45 kph (https://www.bikeradar.com/...r-aero-road-bars-be/). I have never seen substantiated claims that the savings of the bar are anywhere near that once you put a rider on the bike. Conversely wind tunnel testing of deeper wheel underestimate their real-world saving because you can't account for the watts to spin equation in the tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero handlebars? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
echappist wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
I too would rather stick with alloy bars. However, your post makes no mention of aerodynamics; just appearance, weight, comfort, stiffness, and cost. While light and attractive are preferable, I really care about 4 things in this order: safety, comfort, drag & cost. The safety aspect is probably debatable, but I think I'd rather alloy bars in that respect. I think they're less likely to sustain significant damage or have manufacturing defects without you noticing. Comfort will be very user specific so no point getting into any details here. There is a lot of potential for drag reduction over conventional round bars, and while hydroformed alloy tubes are being shaped far more extensively now than in the past, carbon still offers more opportunity to optimise shape. I would expect you could reasonably easily use an aerodynamic handlebar to outperform deep section wheels when calculating performance gain versus cost.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Savings of going from a round top section to an aero top section is about the same as going from something like a front wheel going from Flo30/Zipp 101 to a Flo60/ Zipp 404/ Jet 6.

So not quite there wrt watts saved by an entire wheelset, but that cost/saving ratio really is a lot better than what wheels provide.

A decent round handlebar is $75; a decent aero road bar is $300; watt saving is ~5. $225 for 5 watts

A decent 30 mm wheelset is ~$550; a decent 60 mm all-carbon wheelset is ~$1300 (I'm thinking Flo here). $750 for 8 watts. Gets a lot more expensive if one were buying other brands.

When companies quote ~5 watts for an aero bar vs a round bar they are talking about testing without the rider at 40-45 kph (https://www.bikeradar.com/...r-aero-road-bars-be/). I have never seen substantiated claims that the savings of the bar are anywhere near that once you put a rider on the bike.

Someone else more knowledgeable will have to chime in here, but I recall reading that the effects are additive, which means that the effect observed for component alone largely carries over to a system of component + bike frame and to component + bike frame + rider. Having said that, whether "component" is applicable to all components or whether drop-style handlebars is one of the exceptions, I'm not exactly sure, but it does seem that handlebar aero top shape is not one of the exceptions, and this at least appears to be confirmed by at least one other source.

AeroCoach website wrote:

Lann bars are not just ergonomic, but their aerodynamic shape saves 7w compared with a standard round bar at 50kph.

Quote:
Conversely wind tunnel testing of deeper wheel underestimate their real-world saving because you can't account for the watts to spin equation in the tunnel.

Even for Trispoke wheels (e.g. HED 3+), the number I see quoted for watt-to-spin is ~2-3 W per wheel; I also recall reading that this effect is not as large for traditional spoke wheels. In fact, when comparing solely the windtunnel sweeps of a Trispoke vs something having similar depth, even the low-yaw CdA of the Trispoke will underperform by ~1 W relative to the traditional deep section, but the Trispoke edges the latter by ~1-2 W overall after having power to spin effects accounted. I could only infer from this that the power-to-spin for a traditional spoke deep section is nominal at best, as it takes only 2-3 W of additional savings from the Trispoke to make the Trispoke better overall (in the process overcoming 1 W deficit on pure CdA terms and then being sufficiently better to be another 1-2 W overall).

So unless if you can cite the difference in the respective watt-to-spin numbers for 30 mm deep sections and 60 mm deep sections, I'm going to assume that this difference is going to be no more than 2 W per wheel or 4 W per wheelset (and I think even that's way too generous).

So overall, we have $750 for 12 watts for the wheelset, vs $250 for 5 watts for the handlebar (assuming speed of 48 kph).
Last edited by: echappist: Nov 12, 20 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which bars did you end up getting?

I currently have a 44cm S-Works bar installed and bought a 42cm Sacra Ace, which has a wider flare and thus has the same width at the drops.

Neither will fit in the Premier box with bars installed, so I'm now looking at getting a narrower bar. Probably something with minimal to no flare so that I don't need to get something very narrow at the hoods.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero handlebars? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
If someone recommends Chinese knockoffs, what I hear is "I dont wear a seat belt and I haven't died yet." For such a critical critical component I'd prefer to be 99.99% sure I won't break my teeth instead of 95% sure.

To expand on this point I was sold a bill of goods on what I thought were proper 3T bars when in fact they weren't. My gut said the price was too good, but I bought anyways.

This happened during a road race on a gravel section where I chose poorly and rode behind someone that was hitting every pothole. I did my best to avoid them but riding that close it was tough. took two rough bits to lead to this. Not saying all knockoffs or openmold is crap, but these were. Luckily, I didn't go down, but my race was over on the first lap.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Anyone knows how I could source one of these handlebars? Looks to be an one-off, but if it's available, I'd like one in 38 or 40 cm width

Forget these... you need the new ones from that Dutch company. I've been doing Zipp aero for years, but might switch to these because riding off the front on the hoods is my only move.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mendeldave wrote:
And for someone who asked about the wheels -I’m a believer. They’re definitely faster. No regrets buying them so far. (Though they are tubular so I’ve got to figure out how to deal with that before I NEED to deal with that!)

I love these wheels. I feel like they're often overlooked and really shouldn't be. They're bombproof, fast, match up well with wider tires, and if you go TLR no rim strip needed as the nipples are like rivet nuts. I have the TLR deals on my Felt Aero Road and went with matching stem and bar. I like the combo.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Aero handlebars? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
echappist wrote:
Anyone knows how I could source one of these handlebars? Looks to be an one-off, but if it's available, I'd like one in 38 or 40 cm width

Forget these... you need the new ones from that Dutch company. I've been doing Zipp aero for years, but might switch to these because riding off the front on the hoods is my only move.

I would def bang my knees into these, unfortunately.

Also looks quite uncomfortable for Sphinx position. But if the do classic round bend for the drop shape, i may be interested.

ETA: anyone has a link to the company website? I may just commission them to do an one-off road bar.
Last edited by: echappist: Dec 3, 20 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put some 3t ergo nova on my giant tcr and really like them. They are semi-aero (don't tape the tops), integrate cable routing, and also went narrower than the stock 44cm bars. Dropped 100g in the process as well. I like aero bars but think they also need to match the aesthetic of the bike as well... i.e. a huge profile aero bar on a more traditional shaped bike looks a little weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I would def bang my knees into these, unfortunately.

Also looks quite uncomfortable for Sphinx position. But if the do classic round bend for the drop shape, i may be interested.

ETA: anyone has a link to the company website? I may just commission them to do an one-off road bar.

Yeah, I would be banging my knees too. Bike would be useless if I have to get out of the saddle for any reason. Also, I think those thing run 1500€

No website but an article covering them

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/speeco-breaks-the-mould-with-crazy-handlebar-concept/

ETA: seems like Google works: https://www.speeco.tech/...eak-away-handlebars/

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Dec 3, 20 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

https://www.speeco.tech/abb-aero-break-away-handlebars/
Quote Reply
Re: Aero handlebars? [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, @LAI & @RKW.

I just reached out. The inner retrogrouch in me really wants an aero road bar in a classic round drop and 38 cm width.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero handlebars? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing yet -- the Easton EC90 aero I was leaning toward seems to be out of stock everywhere, so I'm sort of in a holding pattern. :-(

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: Aero handlebars? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a sick build! I really like it :-)

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! It took me a bit to get it just right, but adding the Easton bits really completed the look.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Aero handlebars? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something to consider long term safety wise for alloy bars is corrosion from sweat. If you don't routinely remove your bar tape and do a solid cleaning, I've heard of some bars failing from that.

I run a Selcof aero road drop bar with an aero stem that matches. Looks and feels great. Little bit of skateboard tape on top to rest the forearms on for a new position on long solo rides.

I've heard if you ride an aero road bike with round bars, you're losing more in those round bars than you gained from going with an aero road bike. It hits a lot of the cleanest up front air that matters a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero handlebars? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Something to consider long term safety wise for alloy bars is corrosion from sweat. If you don't routinely remove your bar tape and do a solid cleaning, I've heard of some bars failing from that.

That there is a good reason to change your tape out at least yearly.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply

Prev Next